WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

ebay fraud?

tzedek

Original Member
so i was bidding on a laptop right and i get out bid in the last 90 seconds.. big surprise right? well 3 minuties after the auction ends i get an email from the winning bidder saying that he bid on accident and wants to know if istill want it. well it ended up closing for 138 i think and if he didnt bid i would have gotten it for 112. i am just wondering if it is the buyer on an alterante idenity trying to make more money off me. i look carefully throught both of their feedbacks and they have never left feedback for each other at least.
:confused: either way its still a good deal tho...

</rant>

Tenderony
Doubt it. Heard of one scam on NR items. Bid half of what its worth on one bid, than straight after bid way over what its worth from another account. At the last minute, retract the high bid. You win with the low bid.

Bit blatant and they are on to it, but quite funny. Not if your the seller though.

</rant>

tzedek

Original Member
ya i kinda doubted too. The thing is you cant just retract bids when you want and it would only go a dollar over your low bid so i dont think that would work

</rant>

Tenderony
tzedek said:
ya i kinda doubted too. The thing is you cant just retract bids when you want and it would only go a dollar over your low bid so i dont think that would work
This is where i read it.

</rant>

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Thats sweet, have you ever tried it?..

tzedek

Original Member
sorry to burst your bubble that isnt going to work... you cant "rescind" a bid

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
Watch out for any Ebay scams involving the country of Nigeria... I work for UPS and have seen lots of people get hit...we are able to stop most of them... one of the scams works like this... you are selling something... you get a shitload more for the item then you expected... you contact the high bidder they tell you they are an American studying in Nigeria.. they say they have a friend that owes them money that will be sending them a certified check... but they cannot cash it in Nigeria... so they say they will send it to you... you take the certified check to the bank... since its certified they automaticly credit it to your account... you withdraw whatever excess was on the check... and send the Item and the extra $$ to them... you go home happy cause you got alot more for the POS item then it was worth... then the bank calls you and tells you the check bounced and you owe them the money that you withdrew... well that money and the POS item are in Nigeria.. and you are fucked....

a lady we dealt with got fucked outta 4 grand... she was an idiot.... cause the winning bid was 1k for a barebones pentium 3 computer... the guy sent her a check for 5k... so she sent back 4k to Nigeria... and the computer...

if it sounds too good to be true it prolly is...

tzedek

Original Member
wow... sucks to be her but then again sucks to be anyone that dumb

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
tzedek said:
so i was bidding on a laptop right and i get out bid in the last 90 seconds.. big surprise right? well 3 minuties after the auction ends i get an email from the winning bidder saying that he bid on accident and wants to know if istill want it. well it ended up closing for 138 i think and if he didnt bid i would have gotten it for 112. i am just wondering if it is the buyer on an alterante idenity trying to make more money off me. i look carefully throught both of their feedbacks and they have never left feedback for each other at least.
:confused: either way its still a good deal tho...
Well, say you'll pay your lowest winning bid. So if the guy before you bid $111, say you'll pay $112 or they can fuck off.

tzedek

Original Member
he actually agreed to sell it for 112.... lol uuummm ok i guess i was wrong.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
DanGeo23 said:
Watch out for any Ebay scams involving the country of Nigeria... I work for UPS and have seen lots of people get hit...we are able to stop most of them... one of the scams works like this... you are selling something... you get a shitload more for the item then you expected... you contact the high bidder they tell you they are an American studying in Nigeria.. they say they have a friend that owes them money that will be sending them a certified check... but they cannot cash it in Nigeria... so they say they will send it to you... you take the certified check to the bank... since its certified they automaticly credit it to your account... you withdraw whatever excess was on the check... and send the Item and the extra $$ to them... you go home happy cause you got alot more for the POS item then it was worth... then the bank calls you and tells you the check bounced and you owe them the money that you withdrew... well that money and the POS item are in Nigeria.. and you are fucked....

a lady we dealt with got fucked outta 4 grand... she was an idiot.... cause the winning bid was 1k for a barebones pentium 3 computer... the guy sent her a check for 5k... so she sent back 4k to Nigeria... and the computer...

if it sounds too good to be true it prolly is...
Anyone who falls for any scam of this nature deserves it. We have enough information in the world at this time that everyone should be aware that "If it sounds too good to be true; it is." I get so sick of hearing stories about people saying: They said I won a $500,000.oo prize and all I needed to do is send $200.oo to pay the courier fee to deliver the check to my house." And other assorted crap.
I know it sounds insensitive, and I do feel some pity, but there’s just no excuse.

tzedek

Original Member
MaxPower said:
but there’s just no excuse.

there really isnt... i mean even DanGeo wouldnt go for one of those scams

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
thanks... for the compliment.. I think..
I don't think you would fall for it either... :rolleyes:

mariusthegreat

:: What Ebonics ::
i fell for it a few years back :[

"lady" mentioned she had more of the same item..we agreed to a pice..i sent the money...she replied to all of my emails....but never recieved the item....i contacted to police...ebay....and some other agencies....turns out someone obtained the users passowrd and put up auctions..apparently a few other ppl got fucked....as i did....man i feel like a retard....anyways...i learned an am now a lot more catious...about many things....