WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe Edward Snowden - Anyone Give A Damn?

HabitatSkater

Metal For Life.
Seriously, does anyone but the government give a damn about this guy?. He leaked stuff that the public wanted to know, and he called their asses out on it. Now if they ever catch him, he'll probably be executed in a way never seen before.

Doesn't seem fair to me.

All he was, was a guy exposing the government of things that were constitutionally immoral, and they got butt-hurt and decided he's committing treason. While all the while, they can rummage through our most personal texts, emails, posts, you name it.

Does anyone other than me feel like this guy is just being outcast as one of the first to stand up to it?

And don't take me for an anarchist. Every country needs a balance. But it's not like the government is any better. Anthony Weiner can fuck every slut he meets and send dick pics, but this guy can't expose the truth.

Double-standard? But then again I guess everything is.

Quint

Banned - What an Asshat!
The guy worked for like 6 months before doing this. There is something generally wrong with that. He did sign a contract to do a job. Then he turned his back on that contract, proving he cannot be trusted, fully aware of the consequences. Most people are aware that the government is corrupt already. I can't say what he did made the earth shake. Shit, most people have probably forgotten. I think Honey Boo Boo is pregnant.

A part of me also admires the guy. However, I am a contractor who sometimes does work for the government. I wouldn't do what he did. That doesn't mean I support their decisions. It just means that I do my job. They all have things to hide - banks, politicians, even individuals. If they didn't, we wouldn't be installing safes, security systems, etc. ;)

If you overthrew the government of the United States, it seems just as likely that another equally corrupt (perhaps more corrupt) power structure would be formed. Sometimes you just can't win.

• 1Like
Reactions: HabitatSkater

HabitatSkater

Metal For Life.
True, no one made him do what he did. But I don't think he's a "terrorist" or should be accused of treason just because he was smart enough to catch the government with their pants down. And no matter how or why it happens, they get pissed and need someone to blame to cover their asses. And anytime secret information is leaked, I'm game. Just proves how much farther they have their fist shoved up the public's asses without us knowing it.

• 1Agree
Reactions: johnnycashlives

skroo'd

I don't remember you either.
The part where he fled to China and then Russia is why he is in so much trouble. He could have gone to a more neutral country and immediately filed for immunity from the death penalty. Going directly to our rivals is what makes him more traitor than whistle blower in my opinion.

The deer in the headlights story is masking either a devious and calculated plan or a dumb ass in way over his head.

• 1Agree

HabitatSkater

Metal For Life.
Well I wouldn't say "rivals". Russia I guess could fall in that category but China is our economy. We are in so much debt to them. If we went to war with China, even if we won, our economy would just be gone. And it'd be the great depression pt. 2.

• 1LOL
Reactions: jujubee

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
Edward Snowden... validating conspiracy theories since May 2013.

I don't expect him to live much longer. Though I don't think anyone would ever hear of his death. I find it highly amusing that when the government lies and spreads propaganda in congressional meetings etc... they create a narrative that they're going to tell the people, Snowden just whips out a convenient report to prove them wrong.

I find it highly suspect that such an average-joe contractor was able to get such troves of information. However, regardless of his motives... I hope that his efforts send people thinking for themselves, independent of government.

LucidityK

Tenderony
His death will be an "accident," much like the celebrities who tried leaking their theories. Anybody remember Immortal Technique. Yeah.

Why will his death be an accident? Well, how would it look if the government took into custody somebody who is protected under the Freedom of the Press?

• 1Like

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
His death will be an "accident," much like the celebrities who tried leaking their theories. Anybody remember Immortal Technique. Yeah.

Why will his death be an accident? Well, how would it look if the government took into custody somebody who is protected under the Freedom of the Press?
Pssst, immortal technique isn't dead. I get what you're saying though.

How about that reporter who was just driving down the street when his car burst into flames and hit a tree. Turns out he was about to take down the CIA director.

• 1Like

LucidityK

Tenderony
Pssst, immortal technique isn't dead. I get what you're saying though.

How about that reporter who was just driving down the street when his car burst into flames and hit a tree. Turns out he was about to take down the CIA director.
Exactly.

And yeah, he's not dead, but unless I'm mistaken he doesn't make the same kind of lyrics he used to.

It's crazy when you really think about what's going on around you. I mean, I wouldn't want to start a totally separate debate, but have you heard one of the last speeches Martin Luther King, Jr. gave? It called out government corruption. Needless to say, I can't find that speech anywhere right now.

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
Exactly.

And yeah, he's not dead, but unless I'm mistaken he doesn't make the same kind of lyrics he used to.

It's crazy when you really think about what's going on around you. I mean, I wouldn't want to start a totally separate debate, but have you heard one of the last speeches Martin Luther King, Jr. gave? It called out government corruption. Needless to say, I can't find that speech anywhere right now.
I seem to remember something along those lines, where he was starting to become more radicalized. He gave more props to Malcom X and types like him.

I'd like to know the particular speech though.

I think when most people investigate the state of things, they invariably come to the conclusion that suffering in the US is by design. Government does what they can for as long as they can get away with it.

This is why I'm personally an advocate of an overthrow.

LucidityK

Tenderony
I seem to remember something along those lines, where he was starting to become more radicalized. He gave more props to Malcom X and types like him.

I'd like to know the particular speech though.

I think when most people investigate the state of things, they invariably come to the conclusion that suffering in the US is by design. Government does what they can for as long as they can get away with it.

This is why I'm personally an advocate of an overthrow.
I've been searching for his speech for about half an hour now, to no avail. I can't even find it in his lists of speeches. I mean, this is expected, but usually I can find it SOMEWHERE when this kind of thing is brought up. It was only like 2 weeks before he was assassinated, too.

danNJ732

Bitter and Morbid
Anthony Weiner can fuck every slut
I agree with you on this'n. Obviously the american people didn't do anything major about this shit either. I dont know if they're scared to act out, or if they believe everything this current administration leads them to believe, but people should have been rampant all over the capital. Snowden is a god damned hero in my book.

And on top of that, "dog, the bounty hunter" claims he's going to illegally enter russia to capture snowden. If you've ever watched even a single episode of his show, you'd know right away he has no idea how to conduct any covert ops. If he does follow through with this outlandish idea, he'll be caught immediately and thrown in a gulag.

• 1Like

HabitatSkater

Metal For Life.
I mean whatever happens to him will happen, that's how the US works. Justice served in any way that can be. But again, he caught them with their pants down and now he's some terrorist. No, he just caught you. Plain and simple. And it's sensitive information that they didn't want leaked. Well then guess what, next time you'll know better how to hide it.

serato

Banned - What an Asshat!
Snowden pisses me off. His big cat-oughta- the-bag surprise was lame; Big Brother spyin' - no big secret there. When you tumble a couple of towers to kick-off a public demand for a police state, it's to be expected. Snowden is a dumbass. Deep net been chattering these headlines for years, so gimme somethin' good. If you're going to ruin your career and shame your family, tell me something I don't know: Jimmy Hoffa, Princess Dianne, Area 51, Bin Laden etc. Make the juice worth the squeeze.

danNJ732

Bitter and Morbid
Snowden pisses me off. His big cat-oughta- the-bag surprise was lame; Big Brother spyin' - no big secret there. When you tumble a couple of towers to kick-off a public demand for a police state, it's to be expected. Snowden is a dumbass. Deep net been chattering these headlines for years, so gimme somethin' good. If you're going to ruin your career and shame your family, tell me something I don't know: Jimmy Hoffa, Princess Dianne, Area 51, Bin Laden etc. Make the juice worth the squeeze.
Jimmy hoffa isn't relevant anymore, princess dianne is old news, area 51 is beating a dead horse, bin laden IS dead.... So the NSA spying was his big go-to thing.

• 1Like

HabitatSkater

Metal For Life.
Whatever makes big news to the media is the hot topic for the government. They just bathe in absolute secrecy. The less the general public knows, the less they give a shit.

• 1Agree
Reactions: danNJ732

serato

Banned - What an Asshat!
Jimmy hoffa isn't relevant anymore, princess dianne is old news, area 51 is beating a dead horse, bin laden IS dead.... So the NSA spying was his big go-to thing.
Jimmy Hoffa may not be relevant to you, but the FBI took a very expensive interest in him just a few weeks ago - such a colossal waste of federal money. Princess Dianna is anything but old news. She's making headlines right now as Scotland Yard, just days ago, suspects she may have been murdered by the S.A.S - royalty tends to frown upon mixing bloodlines. Area 51 is also competing for the limelight because two days ago, the U.S. gov. finally acknowledged its existence. Bin Laden - lol- he's not dead. I never saw a dead body. You never saw a dead body. What we got was a b.s story about an un-armed guy - who was on the C.I.A's payroll 'til '98 (officially) - who was shot dead. This makes no sense since they also searched the house for intel. So why? Why kill the greatest source of intel and then search his house(?). Nah, he's not dead. Too bad they dumped his body in the ocean before the ship came to port. Anyways, don't take my word, ask the Navy Seals who were on that mission. My bad, they're all dead - mostly . Well, you can always review the head-cam footage. Damn, they blacked-out the crucial minutes of that raid. Guess we'll just take the governments word because they never lie, they just spy.

danNJ732

Bitter and Morbid
Jimmy Hoffa may not be relevant to you, but the FBI took a very expensive interest in him just a few weeks ago - such a colossal waste of federal money. Princess Dianna is anything but old news. She's making headlines right now as Scotland Yard, just days ago, suspects she may have been murdered by the S.A.S - royalty tends to frown upon mixing bloodlines. Area 51 is also competing for the limelight because two days ago, the U.S. gov. finally acknowledged its existence. Bin Laden - lol- he's not dead. I never saw a dead body. You never saw a dead body. What we got was a b.s story about an un-armed guy - who was on the C.I.A's payroll 'til '98 (officially) - who was shot dead. This makes no sense since they also searched the house for intel. So why? Why kill the greatest source of intel and then search his house(?). Nah, he's not dead. Too bad they dumped his body in the ocean before the ship came to port. Anyways, don't take my word, ask the Navy Seals who were on that mission. My bad, they're all dead - mostly . Well, you can always review the head-cam footage. Damn, they blacked-out the crucial minutes of that raid. Guess we'll just take the governments word because they never lie, they just spy.

So, because you and I never saw a dead body, he's still alive? Come on man you cant go to that logic. These people in the US Special forces and JTF's can't give out every detail of their missions because...drum roll...it's top secret. AKA get a top secret security clearance, maybe one day you'll learn every detail about the mission that happened.

I understand you're not obligated to believe anything or everything the government tells you, but have at least respect enough for the Seal team that did kill him, they don't do all that training and sacrifice for nothing.

serato

Banned - What an Asshat!
Officially, we're told that showing his body would be too gruesome and would infuriate the muslim community. Gruesome(?) The media's motto: if it bleeds, it reads. I know Ghadaffi is dead because his bloody corpse was paraded all over my t.v. I know Hussein is dead because his demise was celebrated 1080p for months and months. We're also treated to the gory details of every third ranked Alqaeda soldier. Point is, the govenment and the media have no problem showing gruesome shit on t.v. Btw, Bin Laden took two shots to the front, so his pics woulda been clean -- not gory. Flip him on his back and the exit holes would look much worse. Secondly, nothing is more insulting to the muslim community than dumping a body into the sea. So, there's some holes in the official story and there's soo much more to discuss but i'm unwilling to do so. Divide and conquer, limits to growth - these are tactics and concepts you'll need to understand before anything I say will ever make sense to you. Back to Snowden. The guy has to live in fear and eventually will die in a car crash or whatever way that will appear natural to you...for nothing

• 1Agree