WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Election Engineering

Jung

???
Premium
"I will stop, I will stop at nothing"

Students Fight "E-Vote"

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,60927,00.html
A group of students at Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania has launched an "electronic civil disobedience" campaign against voting machine maker Diebold Election Systems.

The students are protesting efforts by Diebold to prevent them and other website owners from linking to some 15,000 internal company memos that reveal the company was aware of security flaws in its e-voting software for years but sold the faulty systems to states anyway. The memos were leaked to voting activists and journalists by a hacker who broke into an insecure Diebold FTP server in March.

Diebold has been sending out cease-and-desist letters to force websites and ISPs to take down the memos, which the company says were stolen from its server in violation of copyright law. It has been using the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA, to force ISPs to take down sites hosting the memos or sites containing links to the memos.
"it's just business, cattle prods and the I.M.F."

How do you guarantee a win in a close election?
1) Get the support of Diebold Corp.
2) Slip a software patch into voting machines after they've been certified.
3) Hope the guy who planted the patches keeps quiet.

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,60563,00.html
Diebold Election Systems has had a tumultuous year, and it doesn't look like it's getting any better.

Last January the electronic voting machine maker faced public embarrassment when voting activists revealed the company's insecure FTP server was making its software source code available for everyone to see.

Then researchers and auditors who examined code for the company's touch-screen voting system released two separate reports stating that the software was full of serious security flaws.

Now a former worker in Diebold's Georgia warehouse says the company installed patches on its machines before the state's 2002 gubernatorial election that were never certified by independent testing authorities or cleared with Georgia election officials.
"I trust I can rely on your vote"

Saxby Chambliss, This is Your Life!

http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/HL0307/S00065.htm

Before the last election, the owner of Diebold wrote in a letter to Republicans that he was: "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year."
Hey, does anyone remember how people were all surprised when, contradicting the exit polls, Ohio went Republican...

Fair and square my ass...

canadian_pov said:
Before the last election, the owner of Diebold wrote in a letter to Republicans that he was: "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year."
Hey, does anyone remember how people were all surprised when, contradicting the exit polls, Ohio went Republican...

Fair and square my ass...
Diebold was barely used in ohio though... other states you might be able to make a case for, not Ohio.
Edit: see for yourself http://verifiedvoting.org/verifier/map.php?&topic_string=5std&state=Ohio

canadian_pov said:
My bad, I got my information from this site.
The quote is definitely true, and if I remember right the reason why Ohio ended up avoiding diebold even though it was an instate company. You didn't need a link to prove that :happysad: .

WILD said:
The quote is definitely true, and if I remember right the reason why Ohio ended up avoiding diebold even though it was an instate company. You didn't need a link to prove that :happysad: .
Yeah well....
I like to back up my statements with the source articles, especially if someone challenges me, just to show I'm not a dumbass.

R

RedOctober

Yeah, waiting for the headlines in the American newspaper The Truth that Bush has been elected for the 3rd time as president by 99.9% of the people. :cool: