WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

End of summer (good) beer picks?

Jung

???
Premium
Drinkers of Bud, Miller, Coors, and the like, this thread is not for you. ;)

I know I can count on a handfull of you who appreciate good beer to come through with good picks that'll make me go searching. List/suggest away. :thumbsup:

Here are my picks:
  • Christoffel Blond - (Awesome blond lager)
  • Koenings Hoeven Blond Trappist Ale - (One of my all time favorite blond ales.)
  • Spaten Oktoberfest
  • San Miguel Dark
  • Red Lion Bavarian weizen
  • Hofbrau Hefe-Weisse - (One of the best German wheats I've ever had.)
  • La Binchoise Brune artisinal brown ale - (One of the best browns I've ever had.)
  • Troegs Oatmeal Stout - (THE best oatmeal stout I've found.)
  • Negra Modelo - (Suprisingly good Mexican Brown)
  • Artois Bock - (My favorite dark)

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
in my fridge.. and be prepared for some $$$ shit, i used to live in belgium..

chimay blanc
chimay rouge
corsendonk (regular, bit heavy for summer though)
maredsous (ditto and actually i just finished those..)
trois pistoles (usa)
flying dog dogtoberfest (usa)

i prefer heavier fuller beers.. duvel and the like.. if i'm really stuck and can only get something from a gas station i drink negro modelo.. s'ok..

Jung

???
Premium
Chimay is very good. :thumbsup:

if i'm really stuck and can only get something from a gas station i drink negro modelo.. s'ok..
In a pinch I prefer Newcastle, but Modelo is pretty decent in my opinion. Heineken Dark is ok too for cheap/gas station/supermarket beer.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
junglizm said:
not the bleu, for me.. blanc is good summer fare, rouge an all rounder.. something about bleu tastes unfinished..

do you like czech beers, i lived in prague too.. branik is ok.. thre's a lithuanian called kalnapilis which is great.. you can get it here..

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
junglizm said:

In a pinch I prefer Newcastle, but Modelo is pretty decent in my opinion. Heineken Dark is ok too for cheap/gas station/supermarket beer.
i forgot about heineken dark.. i found that just a few months ago.. quite good.. newcastle has a reputation back home for giving you really bad farts, thus i haven't drank it since i was about 15.. i should again one day..

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
This thread is as matter of opinion.

Crazy named, expensive beer doesn't mean it's good to everyone. It also doesn't make it good beer if it's not the mainstream beer, to everyone.

All beer is good. It gets you drunk. ;)

I'll drink anything.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
is the artois bock dutch? as in stella artois bock? if so i haven't seen that variant..

ericman123

CEO of the internet
Stay away from Sam Adam's Oktoberfest this year. It tastes like stale Killians Red. :( That and Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark....bleh. :thumbsdn:

My recommendations from the new crop.

Belgium White Blue Moon, Newcastle is better than its been in a LONG time,
Moosehead, Moosedrool, Fat Tire Ale, Dead Guy Ale, Mojo, and Boulder's Porter are all above average as well.

Jung

???
Premium
CopyLifted said:
This thread is as matter of opinion.
Obviously. There isn't much to recommend in the way of American 'mainstream' beer though. I mean, who hasn't heard of Bud or Coors?
Crazy named, expensive beer doesn't mean it's good to everyone. It also doesn't make it good beer if it's not the mainstream beer, to everyone.
You're right, but cheap piss water beer isn't good to everyone either. :) Some people appreciate beer that uses good ingredients and an age-old process. Traditional beer; darks, stouts and ale. I'm just going by the common idea of what 'good beer' is. And any 'beer connoisseur' will shy away from the Budweisers and Millers of the world.
All beer is good. It gets you drunk. ;)
If I just wanted to get drunk, I'd drink some scotch. I drink beer because it tastes good, and it's something to be enjoyed.
is the artois bock dutch? as in stella artois bock?
Yes, it's Belgian I believe.

On a side note, the original Budweiser is very good in my opinion. (So, yes, void, I do like some Czech beer. :p)

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
my wife's was a LCD beer drinker, she was so confused in europe, then i showed her a few lambic beers (peach, raspberry and cherry) and she's a convert.. she used to come home with cases of wine now she brings trunks full of belgians..

i wish i could remember more, but i guess the benefits erode the memory with beer..

Jung

???
Premium
There was a micro brewery when I lived in New York, Red Lion (I listed one of their brews earlier), that made a very good Rasberry. One of our local Louisiana breweries, Abita, makes a good rasberry (Purple Haze) as well. (although not a traditional rasberry) Their wheat, amber, red and bocks are pretty good too. In fact, Stuff Magazine voted them #1 Beer in America. :thumbsup:

People drink Coors/Buds/Keystone because one of the following: A.They can't afford anything else. B.They're throwing a party and can care less what people drink. C.They're at a party and can't find anything else. D. They can't find anything else at their local grocery stores. E.They just want to drink something and cokes won't do or F.They're wierd.

My personal favorites are Firestone Brown Ale, Corona Extra w/ Lime (must have limes, Corona by itself just won't do), and New Belgium Fat Tire Ale.

Btw, has anyone here had Kirin? Always wanted to try that but not sure what it's gonna be like. Cheers

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
purple haze and turbodog are both in our krogers.. both decent additions to the emergency beer list..

do you read micheal jackson's website? www.beerhunter.com
he's the man in england, a veritible authority.. good man..

Jung

???
Premium
DementialWave said:
C.They're at a party and can't find anything else. D. They can't find anything else at their local grocery stores. [/QUOTE
I will honestly go without drinking if all they have is Bud or the like at a party. Beer is something I really enjoy, and like food, I only consume what I like; you can have the rest. There is no "well, since I can't find what I like I guess I'll drink this" for me.

Grocery stores really suck for beer. You generally have to find a decent liquor/beer store that carries good beer. For me, there is a chain of "Red White & Brews" all over our state; they stock 200 - 300+ cold beers at every location. They're like a Starbucks for good beer. They also sell 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 packs. I'm so in love.

void said:
purple haze and turbodog are both in our krogers.. both decent additions to the emergency beer list..
TurboDog is pretty nasty, imo, and Purple Haze is marginal compared to their other brews. If you ever get a chance to check out their Andy Gator, Bock, Red, Wheat or Amber, do it - I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

There was another place in NY I can't think of right now, they had really good red and amber... something around Sackets Harbor, maybe a NYer can set me straight. I remember they made a "war of 1812" brew that was pretty damn good.

Edit: http://www.1812ale.com

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
junglizm said:
I drink beer because it tastes good, and it's something to be enjoyed.
I'm not really in the mood to argue anything, because as I said, this thread is a matter of opinon. I'm only going to quote this.

In my opinion, coors light tastes great and I enjoy it.

I have tried all kinds of micro brews and ales and all that shit, but I just don't care for them.

Why dummy up a beer with all kinds of crazy flavors and "finer" ingedients? Are they really "finer" ingredients? I doubt it. And aging is for wine buffs. ;)

Budweiser and Coors haven't been the top selling beer makers for nothing.

ThomConspicuous

Inconspicuously Informal
I'm a huge Guinness fan. Goes with any meal. :thumbsup:

Anyone tried this?

It is pretty damn good. Local pub has this on tap and one pint will make you feel quite happy!

Jung

???
Premium
Bud and such are top selling because america is a place where generic things thrive, beer being one of them. Beer isn't American, but its mass produced for, well, the masses, and they buy whatever they see on TV.

I believe the old style breweries do use better ingredients, but I guess that’s all up to what you believe about marketing. I know for me, yellow beer just doesn’t do it.

I didn’t mean this to be a flame fest though; drink what you like, and enjoy it if you do. I just didn’t see much need for recommending Bud or Miller in this thread, because, well, everyone and their grandma have heard of and drank it before. This thread was for discovering new beer, which is something I love doing. ;)

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
budweiser = bad wasser?

again.. just an opinion..:p

seeing the pic below reminded me off leffe, i've never found it here in the states.. sad..
Give me a Bud Light ~ by Yet Another "Beer Snob"
My Top 5 Reasons

5. Because I really don't like beer anyway.

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]4. I'm watching my girlish figure.
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]3. It sells by the keg, what could be better?
[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]2. It's fun to shake up and spray on people which really isn't a big deal since it's practically water anyway.
[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]1. If Bud is the King of beers, does this mean Bud Light is the Queen?[/font]

[/font]

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
Leffe! Now that IS good.