WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe Esp

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
ESP. Extra Sensory Perception. Does it exist?

I think it exists, and we all "have" it in some rudimentary form. But some people are more "in tune" with it than others.

I am a gypsy. My people have a long history of telling the future an communicating with spirits, whether you think it's bullshit or not we have a history of either doing it or pretending to do it.

Fortunetelling is one aspect, there also is the seemingly more "plausible" side of ESP, communication with other people. Conveying thoughts and images solely through mindpower has been talked of for centuries.

So, what do you all think?

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I have to agree with you, though I don't think many people have more than a drop or two. I also think people who claim to talk to the dead are mostly talking to themselves though.

Coincidence is one thing, but I've had too many experiences beyond it. I've picked up the phone to call someone and they were already on the line, several times, they were calling me, and we just clicked at the right moment.
I've had bad feeling that caused me to change what I was doing, and saved my life, on several occasions. I've known when someone I loved got seriously hurt miles away. Not all the time mind you, but enough to let me know it was more than chance.

I don't shit on people's ideas or thoughts on the subject, but I am a skeptic. Even though I've had some amazing things happento me, I think many people exaggerate too often. So I will listen, but with a grain of salt.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
I often have more of an intuitive sense of how to talk to the people around me.... but that could just be reading the persons behaivor... eh... could be...

Mari

Hoodrat
Yes it is real cause I'm a little psychic myself... The way I found scared the crap out of me. I was riding on a bus going to try out for all-county chorus and I had a vision of a skull. On the way back...there was an ambulance on the side of the road and they were searching for a body. That's not the only occurence. I can touch objects sometimes and tell you things about it, like who owned it and where it's been. Sometimes I only see a specific event. I can sense ghosts and demons. I've blocked most of it out, but I'm always thinking I see something in the corner of my eye which makes me do a double take. I used to be better at sensing things but I sort of lost it. I would really have to work on getting it back. There's a lot of meditation and focus involved which I lost during the years. Maybe it was because what I saw always scared me, and it hurt when I knew something bad was gonna happen and I could do nothing about it... Being sensative to these things and having this gift has a price.

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
JLXC said:
at the age of 5 i saw my grandma at her funeral standing outside. i'm not sure if i imagined it or not. i suppose at a younger age you are more perceptable or just more imaginative, whichever.

i've had bad feelings, seen "signs" in the clouds when have something along those lines happen that very day. knowing something isnt quite "right". coincidense or more than that?

it's very odd when you become in tune with someone and you know exactly what to do next. as if you're indirectly plucking up fragments of his or her thoughts.

predictablity also plays a part. for example when selecting heads or tails on a coin flip, the pattern of switching from heads to tails will be remarkably similar if not the same to the other guy.

i remain skeptical. i'm open to ideas but cant be stuffed with beliefs.

JLXC

Premium
I think it works like this for the most part. When you're a kid you are more imaginative and open to new things. Sure you may imagine more things, but I think it allows many children to use their own ESP. When you get older you get all skeptical and suddenly you're not open to it at all, and it goes away for the most part. It's hard to keep your mind actually open when you get older.

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
Icarus said:
ESP. Extra Sensory Perception. Does it exist?

I think it exists, and we all "have" it in some rudimentary form. But some people are more "in tune" with it than others.

I am a gypsy. My people have a long history of telling the future an communicating with spirits, whether you think it's bullshit or not we have a history of either doing it or pretending to do it.

Fortunetelling is one aspect, there also is the seemingly more "plausible" side of ESP, communication with other people. Conveying thoughts and images solely through mindpower has been talked of for centuries.

So, what do you all think?
HMMM, thats a toughie, i do believe some people are intune, but their so fucking weird, it makes me want to believe their not

I Hate The FCC

Homo est Deus
I believe in it but it makes people who really do have ESP look bad when anyone does it for money and doesn't really have it. I have predicted something will happen and it does happen, I've had the little visions, but it barely happens. I guess I have a small percentage of 'the gift'. :happysad:

blk990

Serial Killer
So J not trying to be funny or anything but I guess that kid in the movie The Shining has ESP?

JLXC

Premium
blk990 said:
So J not trying to be funny or anything but I guess that kid in the movie The Shining has ESP?
Considering it's a fictional story, he sure did.

In real life I know kids are more perceptive of things that adults ignore, but it goes away with age. You hear that a lot in the paranormal circles.

Prepare for angrywelsh's insane lecture!

I've had 2 or 3 experiences with dejavue(sp?) that were really weird. One was a dream of me playing football with several older guys(this dream and actual experience took place when i was around 9) and my younger brother. Around a month later I was up in the Blue Ridge Mtns playing football with my brother when several older teens came over to play with us, both of us knew none of them. Weird huh?
Another strange occurence was when I was leaving my house(age 12 or so) and I said goodbye to my family and our dog, who was about 12, which is very old for a pug. When I got to my grandmothers house I was very tired and went to sleep. I had a dream of her drowning and dying, or something ridiculous. However the morning of the day we left my dad called my mother(who was with me) to tell us that Sophie, the dog, had died of heart failure.
Here's a topic starter: Try as hard as you can to remember your childhood. Like when you were __months old-2 years. What if we had ESP then, or all the knowledge in the world, like the answer to life, but we can't remember it because ESP conflicted with our memory?

JLXC

Premium
angrywelshman said:
childhood. Like when you were __months old-2 years. What if we had ESP then, or all the knowledge in the world, like the answer to life, but we can't remember it because ESP conflicted with our memory?
This would explain why many babies cry all the time. :p

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
angrywelshman said:
Here's a topic starter: Try as hard as you can to remember your childhood. Like when you were __months old-2 years. What if we had ESP then, or all the knowledge in the world, like the answer to life, but we can't remember it because ESP conflicted with our memory?
Here's a topic starter: The topic I started. :rolleyes:

Descent

Hella Constipated
Piro said:
at the age of 5 i saw my grandma at her funeral standing outside. i'm not sure if i imagined it or not. i suppose at a younger age you are more perceptable or just more imaginative, whichever.
You wanna know a little tidbit?

At 5 I had my first nightmare...You know what it was?

The Bearenstein Bears were chasing me so they could boil me in a cauldron.

I'm not lying here. That said, I take all childhood memories with a grain of salt.

And as for ESP - yes, it does exist, law enforcement agencies use it for Christ's sake, but people who can perform it are few and far between.

They can get memories from one person from surrounding beings - so humanity is one big fucking Starbucks hotspot.

Fuxed

Titles are overrated...
ESP... Sorry, but this is a rather large no.

When somebody cannot understand or believe something, they tend to create their own reality for it, and believe it so strongly, that they will never let the thought go (Like Bush and Iraq... But not really at all).

I believe that anybody who sees ghosts, reads minds, or can forsee the future are just emotionally disturbed individuals, with dumb luck every so often. I have guessed about things that will happen, but that does not mean I am some kind of amazing superhuman. I believe that predicting things like that, or knowing what someone is thinking, is just because of human nature. You notice patterns in a person's actions, and they become predictable...

As for visions, you people are just rather crazy, and I suggest the looney bin ASAP.

Sorry if I'm criticizing anybody's ideas, but I hope this next statement puts things into perspective: Who is correct 100% of the time with their 'ability'?

If you can TRULY forsee the future, or use these powers, you should at least be stable about it. The proof you have given is like this:

I correctly predicted the future 2 out of 4 times, therefore I have a gift.

That's like...

I got wasted and didn't crash on the way home 2 out of 4 times, I can drive while drunk.

Do you see my point? Anybody can get lucky and not crash, just like anybody can get lucky and 'forsee' a future...

Dude, Fuxed, chill out. Noone is claiming that they have "mystic powers" here. Secondly, dude my dog dying was not me inventing a reality. That happened, i remember it and will take it with myself to the grave.

Jugular

volatile
I don't really know if I beleive in ESP or not but I do have some weird feelings sometimes. Like when I'm looking at something, like for example, a sandwich on a table, I have a weird feeling that Ive seen this before, but I know I havent. But it just feels weird. Its almost like a vision, but I never really saw it before, it just feels like I did.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
St.Anger said:
I don't really know if I beleive in ESP or not but I do have some weird feelings sometimes. Like when I'm looking at something, like for example, a sandwich on a table, I have a weird feeling that Ive seen this before, but I know I havent. But it just feels weird. Its almost like a vision, but I never really saw it before, it just feels like I did.
seen 'matrix' much?

R

RedOctober

Well... In the Netherlands a group of students did a test on ESP.
They drove around in the flat countryside of Groningen, blindfolded in a bus.

What they did was get out of the bus, and they were than asked where the Martini Tower was. It is the highest building you can see from far.
Helpers were drawing the vectors on a sheet, and they were processed.

Typical was, that if you alled all vectors, the result was that it pointed right at the tower.
So individually they might be pointing wrong, but as a group they did well.

Ain't that strange?

Think about the way birds navigate. A kind of dynamic common knowledge drives a kind of navigation system.