WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Evolution vs Creationism

Science or Religion

• Science

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Religion

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Haven't Decided

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Skythe

Insert Custom User Title
;Science Vs Religion: What are your thoughts?
Hmm, my parents never took me to church etc, but they raised me telling me there was a god. I understood all of this, but through my studies of school, reading of content, etc, i decided that i didn't believe in christianity/any religions. I made up my mind; decided that the world we live in is the result of science/big bang theory.

And what about you? I've read through a few evolution vs religion debates before, but each side tends to contradict itself (creationism refers to bible, evolution refers to science), or uses extremely flawed knowledge to try and explain WHY the other side is wrong (Evolution: Explain dinosaurs Creationism: The bible refers to them in section.. etc) (Creationism: If evolution is true why haven't we evolved yet Evolution: Takes hundreds of years.. etc)?

And JUST because im randomly bored, what if they are both wrong. Imagine your mind in its entirity was fabricated out of nothingness in order to give meaning to everything, and everything YOU see now is really a figment of your mind, which itself is an illusion. lol

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
Relgion... i have a strong relgious backround, and ever since i was little, i was tought the ways of jesus....

And welcome to the site...

Skythe

Insert Custom User Title
Why, thank you for the warm welcome. I side with science because, well, learning about anything to do with science, be it cell theory, big bang theory, etc, all make perfect sense (well, not so much big bang but cell theory definly). If science can tell us things like this, then why can't it explain our existance? :)

Religion has no facts to back it up, and don't say you've had something good happen to you and god did it because he/she/it didn't, science on the other hand does have facts to back it up. If we only followed religion we wouldn't have the lightbulb, television, radio, computer, or any electronic things. Science is not a belief, it is fact. While religion is only a belief and not a fact.

science, it fascinates me, while religion just annoys me. all these assholes trying to shove crap down your throat, that probably never happened. one of my friends, devout muslim says that back in the times when the Quran was written, there was black magic. wtf?!

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
I Hate The FCC said:
Religion has no facts to back it up, and don't say you've had something good happen to you and god did it because he/she/it didn't, science on the other hand does have facts to back it up. If we only followed religion we wouldn't have the lightbulb, television, radio, computer, or any electronic things. Science is not a belief, it is fact. While religion is only a belief and not a fact.
Let me ask you this... You no the big bang theroy, well you know how there is just one big chunk of rock and gas. Well how do you think that big chunk of rock got there? did it just apear? Where and how did that chunk appear?

I'm_Darth_Vader said:
Let me ask you this... You no the big bang theroy, well you know how there is just one big chunk of rock and gas. Well how do you think that big chunk of rock got there? did it just apear? Where and how did that chunk appear?
Tell me then, if there is a god who made him/it/she, listen Vader, we could go on forever about things we might never know. Geht realistic. :rolleyes:

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
I Hate The FCC said:
Tell me then, if there is a god who made him/it/she, listen Vader, we could go on forever about things we might never know. Geht realistic. :rolleyes:
Repped!

True True, The fact is we dont know what happened that long ago. We may never know... all we have is theorys and religon to live on..

I'm_Darth_Vader said:
True True, The fact is we dont know what happened that long ago.
You can't ask such questions because nobody knows the answer, now let's geht back with the topic. :thumbsup:

breakology

Kiss my Converse
Skythe said:
And what about you? I've read through a few evolution vs religion debates before, but each side tends to contradict itself (creationism refers to bible, evolution refers to science), or uses extremely flawed knowledge to try and explain WHY the other side is wrong
It's not flawed knowledge they are theroies. If we knew for a fact what happened, there would be no debate, would there?
They difference is that the religous zealots use faith and whats written in the bible to fuel their argumnets, and scientists use the clues and remnants of time past to fuel theirs.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I'm_Darth_Vader said:
Who made God?

Done. The law of matter states that energy cannon be created or destroyed, only converted. As I'm typing this on my Jewish character set keyboard, my potential energy stored in my fingers is converted to kinetic energy from moving my fingers, which is then converted to electrical energy from the impact of the key, as well as sound energy from the sound of the keys hitting the pastic shell.

And do not say "He is God, he is almighty, he can do anything" because everything is bound by the laws of physics.

My best friend Joe integrates Science HEAVILY into his beliefs about God and always sees both sides of the argument. He personally takes it upon himself to realize what God's teachings are, because like me he follows Christ and not The Holy Bible, which mostly goes against everything Christ taught. Adam and Eve for example, goes against Christ's belief of punishing your enemy. Instead, Christ wanted people to make amends, and let your enemy hit you again as opposed to sinking to his level. Your enemy would then see it does not effect you, and that there was no problem between you. Congratulations, you just solved a misunderstanding without violence!

And for the record, I'm a devout Atheist. I integrate many different teachings into my life as well as my own moral codes. One of the reasons Atheists are looked down upon is because we have this odd compassion and acceptance of other relgions and cultures. It's because we are better educated.

People like FCC are actually looked down upon by Atheists on the same level Northern U.S. Christians look down upon Southern Born-Again Christians. They aren't a real member of the Atheist community in our mind.

bnccoder

Postaholic
Descent said:
And do not say "He is God, he is almighty, he can do anything" because everything is bound by the laws of physics.
Even in physics there are still unknown factors. I'm not saying there is or isn't a god, but you have to allow for the fact that your results could be impacted by something you havn't concidered yet.

Descent said:
Who made God?
I just said the same thing.
People like FCC are actually looked down upon by Atheists on the same level Northern U.S. Christians look down upon Southern Born-Again Christians. They aren't a real member of the Atheist community in our mind.
You keep saying this yet you show no reason as to why I should be looked down upon, is it because you're angry about the autistic flames? Boo-hoo, cry me a river and geht over it Descent. :rolleyes:

screw_you_jack

Pig Tails and a Shotgun
AHhh, this is one thing that turly pisses me off. Frist, it doesn't really matter. Evolution is a process that is taking place every moment, i forgot who, but someone asked why haven't human's evolved yet? Well, they have, the this process happenes over generations and can not be seen a one persons life time. HOwever, if you look at the average man of today and compare them to the average man of 200 or 300 hundred years there are differences.
NOw, even if we weere created, which i do not believe, we have as well as al life, evolved and mutated. God is a concept that is in its whole a decussion seperate from this conversation, but the points made by Decesnt are a thing to keep in mind.....
and with all that crap, i'm shutting up now.

Skythe

Insert Custom User Title
It's not flawed knowledge they are theroies. If we knew for a fact what happened, there would be no debate, would there?
They difference is that the religous zealots use faith and whats written in the bible to fuel their argumnets, and scientists use the clues and remnants of time past to fuel theirs.
You misunderstand my statement. What i was saying is, that in typical relgious debates, religion tries to use examples from science to proove how it is wrong, vise versa. However, ushually both parties don't really have an understanding of each other so they end up just sounding stupid.

btw. It is likely that humans will not evolve, unless some sort of catastrophe occurs on the earth. Natural selection states that organisms which are better adapted to given situations will survive, and the ones that aren't will die. The ones that survive will reproduce and produce offspring with more favourable adapatations. Because we have developed technology to increase our lifespan, the fact that we are tertiary consumers, have no natural predators etc, and that we adapt our environment to us rather than adapt to our environment means that we probably won't evolve (unless some sort of global catastrophe occurs (ie nuclear winter) and only those resistant would survive :/).

I generally beleive the universe is too incredible of a place for something as insignificant as us to understand. I find it to just be a waste of time trying to find the orgin of it. I instead try to make the best of my existence, and that's just how I live.

In the words of Rakim, "It's not where you're from, it's where you're at."

Insanitee

I know where you live!
Skythe said:
;Imagine your mind in its entirity was fabricated out of nothingness in order to give meaning to everything, and everything YOU see now is really a figment of your mind, which itself is an illusion. lol
...Champion!

ooooh, dude... It's like the matrix and shit!

I firmly believe in science, however, don’t forget that Einstein in his infinite wisdom believed in there being a god. So I believe that one day (obviously not in our life times) science WILL prove/disprove the existence of a higher being.

Scientists have proven that the odds of life existing elsewhere in the galaxy are 99.9999999999999999999999999999%

Check out this link: http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Extraterrestrial life.htm

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
I'm not religious, but science CANNOT prove whether there is a god or not. However, human religions cannot hold the absolute truth.

Also, science relies on observable facts and logic, wich is accurate for physical things and can (potentially) explain alot of things like the formation of stars, galaxies, and life.

Religion, on the other hand, relies on the hypothesis that there is a God, and faith.

However, for all we know, the absolute truth could be that some infinite source of infinite energy created a physical world, where 2 + 2 = 4 and everything works logically according to an uber equation that he pre-defined. Then again, that comes from my human imagination, just like God and, of course, santa. duh.

Insanitee

I know where you live!
I agree with your point, however, science can prove the existence of a being with the likeness to that of what we call a "god"

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Insanitee said:
I agree with your point, however, science can prove the existence of a being with the likeness to that of what we call a "god"
nope. It can't. Prove me that in can.

You cannot understand something that is infinite, and infinitely superior than you.