WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Ex-Pop Star Cat Stevens to Be Deported from U.S.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Ex-pop singer Cat Stevens, a Muslim, will be deported to Britain after being denied entry to the United States because his activities could be "linked to terrorism," a U.S. official said on Wednesday.

Arab-Americans and Muslims in Britain promptly voiced outrage over the treatment of Stevens, who is known as Yusuf Islam since he became a Muslim almost three decades ago.

Homeland Security spokesman Brian Doyle said Islam would be put on the first available flight back to Britain after his Washington D.C.-bound plane was diverted on Tuesday to Maine for security reasons.

"Why is he on the watch lists? Because of his activities that could be potentially linked to terrorism. The intelligence community has come into possession of additional information that further raises our concern (about Islam)," Doyle said.

A law enforcement official who asked not to be identified said the United States had information Islam had donated money to the militant Islamic group Hamas.

Islam was denied entry to Israel in 2000 after the authorities there accused him of supporting Hamas. The former pop star strongly denied the charges and said his charitable donations were for humanitarian causes.

Islam was traveling with his daughter on a United Airlines flight on Tuesday from London to Washington when it was diverted to Bangor, Maine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, this is some SILLY SHIT...

I'm sure Yusuf Islam is a very unique name.

Did they think Cat Stevens, the peace activist, was going to turn suicide-bomber with his daughter on the plane?

First Ted Kennedy and now this, yep this watch list is really coming together...

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I feel safer already, even with our administration's current scare tactics.

Jung

???
Premium
So apparently Cat Stevens aka Yousef Islam is a terrorist threat to America. Yes, the same guy who sang Moonshadow, Peace Train, and Wild World, is a suspected terrorist aid. The same man who only last May contributed the sales from a DVD release to the family and victims of 9/11. There is something SEVERELY wrong with the homeland security's "no flight" list. It was only a few months ago that Ted Kennedy, senator from Massachusetts, was denied flight for being on the same list. We as citizens of this country need to know what the criteria is for this list, otherwise its going to be quickly regarded as an Orwellian caveat. I'm sorry, but if the best homeland security can do is detain CAT STEVENS so as to protect us, then homeland security is a total failure. :rolleyes:

tzedek

Original Member
On another note, his plane landed in MAINE!!! LOL!!! probably in Bangor too where i go to school.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
I found the Teddy K... thing funny... it happened to him twice... even funnier... I guess they put murderers on the list.. oops did I say that... anywayz.. if you donate money to terrorists... you are helping terrorism.. if you help terrorists.... we don't want you in our airplanes... or on our soil... if his daughter was with him... well that doesn't mean anything.. people martar thier kids in the name of Islam all the time..

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I'm going to convert to Islam and change my name to "Gofuk Yousef".

man... first sheryl crow does a shitty job covering "the first cut is the deepest", and now this. poor guy.

Jung

???
Premium
DanGeo23 said:
I found the Teddy K... thing funny... it happened to him twice... even funnier... I guess they put murderers on the list.. oops did I say that... anywayz.. if you donate money to terrorists... you are helping terrorism.. if you help terrorists.... we don't want you in our airplanes... or on our soil... if his daughter was with him... well that doesn't mean anything.. people martar thier kids in the name of Islam all the time..
you can't actually believe he's a terrorist or sympathizer. the man has lived his life dedicated to peace. that is why he coverted to islam, a normally peaceful religion(aside from extremist). yay for fox news, cnn and fascist bush supporters.:rolleyes:

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
people sometimes forget that we have christian terrorists like abortion clinic bombers/shooters, Oklahoma city. and so on.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
junglizm said:
you can't actually believe he's a terrorist or sympathizer. the man has lived his life dedicated to peace. that is why he coverted to islam, a normally peaceful religion(aside from extremist). yay for fox news, cnn and fascist bush supporters.:rolleyes:
Jung:

You have to understand who you are talking to there, if the current administration came and took his family away one day for no reason at all, he'd say "it was for the good of the country"!

With no facts or backup DanGeo's branded this guy a terrorist. Typical, defend without thought, speak without reason..

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
well I for one don't want anyone that has donated thousands of dollars to Hamas sitting on a plane in US airspace... his daughter was allowed entry... and I heard Secy Ridge say today that 11 other people were denied access to US flights from abroad due to this list.. so he wasn't the only one..

Jung

???
Premium
DanGeo23 said:
well I for one don't want anyone that has donated thousands of dollars to Hamas sitting on a plane in US airspace... his daughter was allowed entry... and I heard Secy Ridge say today that 11 other people were denied access to US flights from abroad due to this list.. so he wasn't the only one..
show me facts, NOT from cnn or the like. the point is the list is a joke, but allowing someone on the list to fly/enter the country would only prove how flawed it is. he is being made an example of, by people who can't admit when they're wrong. the fact that ted kennedy made it to the list proves this. please odn't be the typical automaton military guy, think and research the issues. you're serving your country and that is comendable, but to blindly believe everything they say is just naive.

Descent

Hella Constipated
This is some sort of sick joke...what bullshit!

This adminstration should go to hell...

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
MaxPower said:
people sometimes forget that we have christian terrorists like abortion clinic bombers/shooters, Oklahoma city. and so on.
Terrorists are terrorists no matter what religion.. I would hope that they would stop people from all backgrounds that support terror from coming here...

there isn't some inherent right of any citizen to be allowed into any country other than thier own... if France didn't want me to enter thier country they have that right..
Jung said:
show me facts, NOT from cnn or the like.
Not from CNN?? maybe you would prefer CBS... I think of CNN as a left leaning news organization... where do you get your facts from?
Jung said:
list to fly/enter the country would only prove how flawed it is.
in the interview with Tom Ridge that I heard.. (that I can't find a link to the transcript) he admitted that it was flawed... he said that now its in the hands of the airport ticket person to determine if someone can fly or not... he admitted that the system is flawed and needs work...

Jung said:
think and research the issues.
I feel that I am one of the few people that actually take into account all sides of an issue before formulating an opinion.. although everyone is different... someone else could look at the same info as me and come up with a different opinion... but for this issue I side on the "better safe then sorry" side....
Jung said:
but to blindly believe everything they say is just naive.
I don't believe I do this ... but inverse is also true and should then apply to yourself... to blindly disbelieve everything they say is just naive...

if it were proven that he has given money in support of terrorists... and spoken out in support of terrorist activities... would you want him here in this country... and further more on an airplane seated next to one of your loved ones???

Jung

???
Premium
DanGeo23 said:
there isn't some inherent right of any citizen to be allowed into any country other than thier own... if France didn't want me to enter thier country they have that right..
yet we allow illegal aliens in every day, and allow them to obtain drivers licenses in some states. :rolleyes: yes sir, we have our priorities straight in this country.

DanGeo23 said:
Not from CNN?? maybe you would prefer CBS... I think of CNN as a left leaning news organization... where do you get your facts from?
For the most part I don’t trust American media giants on political issues. I would rather read it from an unbiased foreign source. CNN is the main reason most are unaware of bush's fallacies. case in point the WMD issue.

DanGeo23 said:
I feel that I am one of the few people that actually take into account all sides of an issue before formulating an opinion.. although everyone is different... someone else could look at the same info as me and come up with a different opinion... but for this issue I side on the "better safe then sorry" side....
From the few posts of yours I’ve read it doesn’t seam that way, but that’s just imo.
DanGeo23 said:
I don't believe I do this ... but inverse is also true and should then apply to yourself... to blindly disbelieve everything they say is just naive...
I don’t, I just require proof to believe such outrageous things.

DanGeo23 said:
if it were proven that he has given money in support of terrorists... and spoken out in support of terrorist activities... would you want him here in this country... and further more on an airplane seated next to one of your loved ones???
that is the point, it hasn’t been proven. Everything I’ve seen or read on the subject says it’s all alleged. But still those like yourself persecute him for an allegation. Am I wrong? Can you show me definitive evidence to support your claim that he funded terrorist activities? this is just another example of over-zealous screening of someone who holds ideas annoying to whomever is doing the screening. The US is turning into an evil empire so to speak and it makes me sick. The patriot act is just an excuse to discriminate based on assumptions and unproven allegations.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
DanGeo23 said:
That is the key phrase "if it were proven that he has given money in support of terrorists".

WHY DON'T WE WAIT TO HEAR THE FACTS BEFORE WE DECIDE HE'S GUILTY OF TERRORISM...

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
so whats the answer... yes or no.. if he has given money to terrorists... should he be allowed in this country....

I cannot argue the illegal immigrant issue.. I think its outrageous... both sides are guilty of letting it happen for thier own political reasons..
unbiased foreign source.
... surely you are joking... what unbiased foreign source is there.. don't tell me the BBC or some crap.. cause they are just as if not more biased then the US media...
VOR said:
WHY DON'T WE WAIT TO HEAR THE FACTS BEFORE WE DECIDE HE'S GUILTY OF TERRORISM...
if he were to have hijacked a plane you would have been the first person to cut and paste the article.. and then condemn Bush for letting him in the country... you want to have it both ways..

skylinec

Somewhere in the Between
celebritys are now fucked finally

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
DanGeo23 said:
if he were to have hijacked a plane you would have been the first person to cut and paste the article.. and then condemn Bush for letting him in the country... you want to have it both ways..
If the list worked worth a dam, he would have never been allowed on board...it's a little late once the "terrorist" is on the plane...eh?