Headlines Exporting jobs to india

MaxPower

Baba Yaga
Staff
Well now it's not just the private sector at risk. Yes that's right. Now those of you who have federal jobs need to worry.
I have a friend who works at the IRS c enter in holtsville, NY. He was recently given a memo as was everyone there. The meat of it said thathis job along with 12,500 others would be exported to india, by 2006.
That's right folks, your taxes may very well be handled by someone on the other side of the world. They will have access to your most confidential financial and personal information.

What are your thoughts on this? And in the export of employment in general?

Havok

Mr. Ee
Our people are going to be involved?

So really our taxes will be handled by the same people that have been doing it before, just somewhere else? That doesn't seem as bad as it sounds.

Do you have a news link on this? I haven't heard too much on it.

Jung

???
Premium
HavokChylde said:
Our people are going to be involved?

So really our taxes will be handled by the same people that have been doing it before, just somewhere else? That doesn't seem as bad as it sounds.
no, it's called outsourcing. the jobs of americans will be given to indians. many large corporations already do this for many positions. i've always thought it should be government regulated in some way. our own government doing it just makes me sick. where are the homeland security precautions now? it's hard enough to find trustworth americans to work for the IRS and we're going to trust foreigners? that's not to say foreigners are any less trustworthy. i just don't think they have any busisness handling our tax information. come on government set a good example for once.:(

MaxPower

Baba Yaga
Staff
I'm not sure. I would assume they would have our higher level gov employees there to supervise, but at this time all I know is that they are closing that facility and others. 12,500 american federal employees will be out of a job by 2006.
I will try to find articles if they exist, but at this time I only have first hand account from someone who is directly affectd by it. I figured that was better than any second hand news source.
I would love to get my hands on one of the memo's but that would most likely not be allowed.
I would then be put on the terrorist list or railroaded in some other way.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Jesus...that is fucked up!

I can't believe this is happening...They will probobly fuck things up, just as with Tech Support...

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
In Japan, outsourcing isn't viewed as bad at all. There are so many clerical positions that we have to fill that we could never have enough people of our own to take care of the job. When we outsource to the Philipines and India its a blessing to us since no one lost there job and the job is getting done so cheaply. Of course, many believe we should offer the Indians fairer wages. Personnaly, I think that if they are willing to take the job at the wage as is, why should we raise it?

I'm sorry to hear about the outsourcing problem in the states though. I hear that if John Kerry replaces George W. Bush as the president, he'll loby to impose barriers and taxes on those who outsource.

msalyss85

Banned - What an Asshat!
ReiMeishin said:
I hear that if John Kerry replaces George W. Bush as the president, he'll loby to impose barriers and taxes on those who outsource.

That's the American way: We won't do the jobs, but we'll tax you for doing them for us. It's a win-win situation...lazy bastards.

Skorch

Destroyer of worlds
ReiMeishin said:
In Japan, outsourcing isn't viewed as bad at all. There are so many clerical positions that we have to fill that we could never have enough people of our own to take care of the job. When we outsource to the Philipines and India its a blessing to us since no one lost there job and the job is getting done so cheaply. Of course, many believe we should offer the Indians fairer wages. Personnaly, I think that if they are willing to take the job at the wage as is, why should we raise it?

I'm sorry to hear about the outsourcing problem in the states though. I hear that if John Kerry replaces George W. Bush as the president, he'll loby to impose barriers and taxes on those who outsource.
The Japanese example is different because in Japan you have more jobs than people to fill them. So outsourcing works as a win win solution as people in other countries are getting jobs, the work is getting done, and no Japanese people are losing anything. Over here though, unemployment is already ridiculous, and the outsourcing of jobs has been leaving entire communities destitute. Now with government jobs being filled by non US citizens in foreign countries, this only does more to increase unemployment, drive down the economy, and leave even more empty desks in America and put more of a strain on the already overly competetive job market.

MaxPower

Baba Yaga
Staff
ReiMeishin said:

I agree that if you have a domestic shortage of any resource, including a particular type of human resource, that outsourcing is the obvious choice.
The problem here is; there is no shortage of willing and qualified Americans. Adding insult to injury, they are terminating the ones already in these positions, in order to send the jobs overseas, to a foreign source.
That is the difference between what you are talking about and the situation at hand.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
This is the same situation that happend while working on my last job. They hired 25 guys overseas with the salary of 2 or 3 guys over here. Then, the company made us TRAIN them while we still had jobs. Once we had taught them everything... they laid us all off... only the managers and two tech guys were left... What a bunch of CRAP!

Descent

Hella Constipated
Wow FuckFace, that fucking sucks.

This is why I fucking hate outsourcing.

What if game developers outsourced...

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
I hear that if John Kerry replaces George W. Bush as the president, he'll loby to impose barriers and taxes on those who outsource
Great idea.. tax the companies that send SOME jobs overseas.. that way they will send ALL of thier jobs overseas to avoid the tax...
Kerry Campaign Officials Know Kerry Plan Won't Stop Outsourcing. "Campaign officials acknowledged that the new plan would not stop the broader trend of outsourcing jobs to low-wage countries. But they said it would at least remove what they called a bias in the tax system that encourages such practices." (Edmund L. Andrews and Jodi Wilgoren, "Kerry To Propose Eliminating A Tax Break On U.S. Companies' Overseas Profits," The New York Times, 3/26/04)
Kerry's Own Advisers Won't Predict If His Plan Will "Reduce Flow Of Jobs Outsourced." "Mr. Kerry's advisers wouldn't predict whether his plan actually would reduce the flow of jobs outsourced from the U.S., partly because they don't want the proposal to be portrayed as the work of a protectionist." (Bob Davis and John Harwood, "Kerry Targets Job Outsourcing With Corporate-Tax Overhaul," Wall Street Journal, 3/26/04)

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
jstager said:
Wow FuckFace, that fucking sucks.

This is why I fucking hate outsourcing.

What if game developers outsourced...

Yes it fucking does... I think i found a solution... lets all move to INDIA that way, the JOBS that are sent over there, are going to be OURS anyway!!!! :thumbsup: