WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Falwell's 'Vote Christian' Criticized (shit up version thanx Kilo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Falwell's 'Vote Christian' Criticized

LYNCHBURG, Va. - A Jewish organization is calling on the Rev. Jerry Falwell to retract a "vote Christian in 2008" statement made months ago in a letter raising money for his ministries.

The criticism of Falwell appeared Monday on the Web site of the Anti-Defamation League, a group organized in 1913 to fight anti-Semitism.
Falwell, founder of Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va., and Moral Majority, included with his mass fund-raising letter for Falwell Ministries a sticker that reads, "I Vote Christian."

Abraham Foxman, the Anti-Defamation League's national director, said Falwell's statements are "directly at odds with the American ideal and should be rejected."

"Understanding the danger of combining religion and politics, our founding fathers wisely created a political system based on individual merit and religious inclusiveness," Foxman said.

Falwell told The News & Advance of Lynchburg Tuesday that his statement was misunderstood.

"What I was saying was for conservative Christian voters to vote their values, which are pro-life and pro-family," Falwell said. "I had no intention of being anti-Jewish at all."

LINK
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"religious inclusiveness" as long as it's His religion, screw everyone else, right!

Falwell is a devisive fucker and has no shame​

voiceofreason said:
"religious inclusiveness" as long as it's His religion, screw everyone else, right!

Oh, he's got plenty of shame. It just so happens that he saves it all for everyone who's not like him.
Seriously, taking people like Falwell seriously is quite a chore, though; I don't know how anyone can do it.

FlipTheState said:
Seriously, taking people like Falwell seriously is quite a chore, though; I don't know how anyone can do it.
But it has to be done, otherwise they'll take over the world. :(

kilo_juliet

i have a nuke fetish
voiceofreason said:
LYNCHBURG, Va. - A Jewish organization is calling on the Rev. Jerry Falwell to retract a "vote Christian in 2008" statement made months ago in a letter raising money for his ministries.

The criticism of Falwell appeared Monday on the Web site of the Anti-Defamation League, a group organized in 1913 to fight anti-Semitism.
Falwell, founder of Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va., and Moral Majority, included with his mass fund-raising letter for Falwell Ministries a sticker that reads, "I Vote Christian."

Abraham Foxman, the Anti-Defamation League's national director, said Falwell's statements are "directly at odds with the American ideal and should be rejected."

"Understanding the danger of combining religion and politics, our founding fathers wisely created a political system based on individual merit and religious inclusiveness," Foxman said.

Falwell told The News & Advance of Lynchburg Tuesday that his statement was misunderstood.

"What I was saying was for conservative Christian voters to vote their values, which are pro-life and pro-family," Falwell said. "I had no intention of being anti-Jewish at all."

LINK
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there problem with voting according to policies and issues that are closely alligened to your personal views on the world?

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
reminds me a bit of a time when I was lurking a mall and came to one of the ends where they were having some kids singing thing going on.. they had this religious feel good troop up there singing something like "I got love for... Not Allah... Not Buddah... I got love for god!" there were a few other gods they named in there too but it was just funny cause they were a cristian faith group, and christianity is supposed to be about tolerance to peoples beliefs, especially in religion.. Or at least thats what I was always told about it.. But now its getting more catholic.. Believe in god or go to hell!

fuck...

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
kilo_juliet said:
Is there problem with voting according to policies and issues that are closely alligened to your personal views on the world?
I think there is a BIG problem with blurring the line between Church and State. The separation is the two is what makes this country great and strong. Without it, we would just be one of those shitty countrys that gets taken over every few years by funamentalists

Would you like a US version of the Taliban? They could tell you how to worship AND how to vote. Easy, easy!

kilo_juliet said:
No, there's not a problem voting your personal beliefs. There is, however, just something fundamentally irritating about Falwell's brand of 'christianity'... or maybe it's just Falwell himself.
I just don't think I want my life governemt by policies that your everyday right-wing conservative christian votes "YES" on. Anyone? Anyone?
Probably not.

kilo_juliet

i have a nuke fetish
FlipTheState said:
No, there's not a problem voting your personal beliefs. There is, however, just something fundamentally irritating about Falwell's brand of 'christianity'... or maybe it's just Falwell himself.
I just don't think I want my life governemt by policies that your everyday right-wing conservative christian votes "YES" on. Anyone? Anyone?
Probably not.
I'm sorry I don't get it?

"No, there's not a problem voting your personal beliefs." = AOK with you since christians are voting thier personal views.

"just don't think I want my life governemt by policies that your everyday right-wing conservative christian votes "YES" on. " = not AOK when christians vote thier personal views.

So what is it? Is it AOK or not?

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
It's not, because the asshole is trying to sway votes using his religion.

Darklight said:
...and christianity is supposed to be about tolerance to peoples beliefs, especially in religion.. Or at least thats what I was always told about it.. But now its getting more catholic.. Believe in god or go to hell!
Catholics are christian.
And, it's only the "new" christianity that is 'supposedly' all about tolerance. The Old Testament was too scary so the Christians changed things up a bit to appeal to more people.
The Christian faith is one of the worst when it comes to acknowledging the validity of other faiths...in fact, the clergy does so almost mockingly.

More God, Less Religion I say.

kilo_juliet

i have a nuke fetish
voiceofreason said:
I think there is a BIG problem with blurring the line between Church and State. The separation is the two is what makes this country great and strong. Without it, we would just be one of those shitty countrys that gets taken over every few years by funamentalists

Would you like a US version of the Taliban? They could tell you how to worship AND how to vote. Easy, easy!

I'm sorry I don't see it. I don't see Falwell promoting the removal of any seperation of church and state. Do you? I don't see a church or any religion 'taking over' the government, besides that is what guns and the 2nd Amendment are for.

What I see is voting according for people and policies alligned to your personal views.

Icarus said:
It's not, because the asshole is trying to sway votes using his religion.
Ding ding ding ding ding....give the man a new car, coz he hit it right on the head.
The man is trying to swing votes using religion as his platform. I hope there's plan in place to energize the opposing votes coz we're gonna have to run everything we do past your local televangelist-activist-fundamentalist.

KJ, I think you're underestimating the untested power of the 'christian' vote.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
kilo_juliet said:
I'm sorry I don't see it. I don't see Falwell promoting the removal of any seperation of church and state. Do you?
How could it not?

I don't think you understand the basic principles of the separation of church and state.

Let me take a guess, do you handle snakes at your church?

kilo_juliet

i have a nuke fetish
voiceofreason said:
kilo_juliet said:
I'm sorry I don't see it. I don't see Falwell promoting the removal of any seperation of church and state. Do you?
How could it not?

I don't think you understand the basic principles of the separation of church and state.

Let me take a guess, do you handle snakes at your church?
It is obvious YOU don't understand the seperation between church and state:

1) Falwaell is not a government official, elected official, or an employee speaking for the government

2) He is a private citizen

3) He is using his 1st Amendment rights to talk about politics and use is 1st Amendment rights for political power.

There is ZERO infringement of chruch and state.

kilo_juliet

i have a nuke fetish
FlipTheState said:
Ding ding ding ding ding....give the man a new car, coz he hit it right on the head.
The man is trying to swing votes using religion as his platform. I hope there's plan in place to energize the opposing votes coz we're gonna have to run everything we do past your local televangelist-activist-fundamentalist.

KJ, I think you're underestimating the untested power of the 'christian' vote.
You such a hypocrite.

It is OK for YOU to mobilize and organize politcal power, but not for someone else.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
kilo_juliet said:
voiceofreason said:
kilo_juliet said:

It is obvious YOU don't understand the seperation between church and state:

1) Falwaell is not a government official, elected official, or an employee speaking for the government

2) He is a private citizen

3) He is using his 1st Amendment rights to talk about politics and use is 1st Amendment rights for political power.

There is ZERO infringement of chruch and state.
You're being way too specific, and missing the point.

It is just WRONG to use God for the political aspirations of man. It's whoring God.

Spiritual people hold God in higher esteem.

Religious people do what they are told by greedy, self serving, imperfect men.

kilo_juliet God's pimp.

kilo_juliet said:
You such a hypocrite.

It is OK for YOU to mobilize and organize politcal power, but not for someone else.
If I were to 'mobilize and organize' it would be by attempting to capture people's vested interest in political matters.
What HE is doing is trying to leverage his religion in order to swing the right-wing conservative vote. Let's not fool ourselves...what in the fuck do you think the right-wing conservatives are going to vote for?
I'm not saying he's breaking any laws. I'm just saying that I've been to a couple of other countries where religious beliefs influence public law and it's really not all that nice.
Yes, you're right, they have the right to vote their beliefs, whatever those may be. It's Falwell himself (his history, his platform) that most of us have a problem with. It's the whole idea of a campaign to VOTE CHRISTIAN that doesn't sit well with some people.
People can vote...that's what we're all about. And the line between church and state isn't so black and white here. True, this doesn't legally cross the line of separation of church and state. But it slides into the grey area quite nicely...because now you have religious groups actively organizing to sway the votes. It's not illegal, it might not even be unethical, but it is a major concern for those of us in this country that don't slobber all over conservative-christian-anglo-republican-GOP cock.

kilo_juliet

i have a nuke fetish
FlipTheState said:
If I were to 'mobilize and organize' it would be by attempting to capture people's vested interest in political matters.
What HE is doing is trying to leverage his religion in order to swing the right-wing conservative vote. Let's not fool ourselves...what in the fuck do you think the right-wing conservatives are going to vote for?
I'm not saying he's breaking any laws. I'm just saying that I've been to a couple of other countries where religious beliefs influence public law and it's really not all that nice.
Yes, you're right, they have the right to vote their beliefs, whatever those may be. It's Falwell himself (his history, his platform) that most of us have a problem with. It's the whole idea of a campaign to VOTE CHRISTIAN that doesn't sit well with some people.
People can vote...that's what we're all about. And the line between church and state isn't so black and white here. True, this doesn't legally cross the line of separation of church and state. But it slides into the grey area quite nicely...because now you have religious groups actively organizing to sway the votes. It's not illegal, it might not even be unethical, but it is a major concern for those of us in this country that don't slobber all over conservative-christian-anglo-republican-GOP cock.

You got NOTHING, but your own prejudice. No broken laws, no unethical behavior, and no social morals broken. You got NOTHING. Except it is an 'us' who don't want 'them' to vote, be organized, and empowered.

You keep saying 'people can vote' then you keep comming up with excuses to STOP THEM.

Your such a hypocrite.

kilo_juliet

i have a nuke fetish
voiceofreason said:
kilo_juliet said:
voiceofreason said:
You're being way too specific, and missing the point.

It is just WRONG to use God for the political aspirations of man. It's whoring God.

Spiritual people hold God in higher esteem.

Religious people do what they are told by greedy, self serving, imperfect men.

kilo_juliet God's pimp.
Oh?

That sounds like a lot of self-serving propaganda. No facts, no broken laws, no ethical violations, NOTHING; except your violated sense of political correctness.

Wrong? Who says so? YOU? When it comes to somone trying to convince me about right and wrong about God who do you think I'm going to believe? YOU or a preacher? Remember this is a prechear who has never broken any laws, commited never commited anything remotely unethical or immoral, except violate your sense of political correctness. So who do you think I'm going to believe regarding God? Then prove Falwell for being "greedy, self serving, imperfect men". He is not, isn't he? Then you too got NOTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.