WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Famed O.J. Simpson Lawyer Cochran Dies in L.A.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Johnnie Cochran, the charismatic attorney who became famous for his successful defense of football star O.J. Simpson on murder charges, died on Tuesday in Los Angeles of a brain tumor, spokespeople said.

Cochran began his career as a crusader against police abuses, often in cases involving black clients, but is best known for the trial that won a controversial acquittal for Simpson on murder charges in 1995.

Simpson was accused of murder in the June 12, 1994, stabbing deaths of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman. He was acquitted despite what prosecutors described as a "mountain of evidence" against him.

Nicole Brown Simpson and Goldman were stabbed and slashed outside her condominium in west Los Angeles. Prosecutors used DNA evidence to show that Simpson's blood was present at the crime scene and the victims' blood was on a glove at his Brentwood home.

Casting the case against Simpson as a conspiracy led by a bigoted cop bent on framing his client, Cochran's fiery oratory struck a nerve in a city still divided after 1992 race riots. He exhorted the mostly black jury to strike a blow against racism and police corruption by setting Simpson free.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, wonder if you could start a race war in hell?

Junglizm: Maybe you culd cut down on the ------ to keep from breaking tables. This is the fourth post of yours I've had to edit. ;)

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
it wasnt a race war....it was the rising up of the proletariat against the capitalist oppressors. Karl Marx already detailed this for us. The capitalists were rather well armed it seems....Marx didnt really call it too well on that one.

I was gonna post on this...but I think its hillarious that he died. Sort of like the ultimate form of poetic justice.

Descent

Hella Constipated
"This, is Chewbacca."

How on Earth did we all not hear about this tumor until he died? Did he not even know he had it?

Scary shit...

But, then again, good riddance to anyone who lets a killer run free. The only good thing that came out of it was Weekend Update on SNL.

What a scumbag...

Zoso

Zappafied
o geez i have a feeling you opened a can of worms here....

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
bigck3000 said:
it wasnt a race war....it was the rising up of the proletariat against the capitalist oppressors. Karl Marx already detailed this for us. The capitalists were rather well armed it seems....Marx didnt really call it too well on that one.

I was gonna post on this...but I think its hillarious that he died. Sort of like the ultimate form of poetic justice.
I was going to post about how I wondered how long it would be before somebody chimed in with a comment about "poetic justice" or how he "got off" OJ, but you beat me to the punch. I wonder why people are really so absorbed in this that they can´t just let it go. 1) You weren´t at the trial nor the murder scene, so you will never know for sure. 2) If O.J. was guilty, are you really so sensitive that his aquittal severely hurts your feelings a decade later?

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
tzedek said:
Why does this get a thumbs up?
Because he will never again be able to subvert the legal system for personal gain, by telling poor, ignorant people that they can get back at the police by freeing a murderer...

THAT is a good thing.

tzedek

Original Member
voiceofreason said:
Because he will never again be able to subvert the legal system for personal gain, by telling poor, ignorant people that they can get back at the police by freeing a murderer...

THAT is a good thing.
Do you just assume that anyone who is famous is automatically guilty of any crime they are accused of? Even after they were proven in a court to be innocent? I guess now I understand how you are a true American

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
He was later found guilty in a "civil court" ....He was made to pay like 8 million dollars for the "willfull and wrongful death of Ron Goldman" and domestic violence or someshit against his wife....he fucking did it...and the only reason he got off in the federal court, was because the powers that be knew there would be another Rodney King. As for feeling bad about it....I never have....Its just sort of sick that some people can get away with taking lives and my buddy has to go to jail over some weed.

its definitely the end of an era.... good, bad or ugly, he opened the door (wider) for courtroom drama circuses. I am not gonna miss *that* at all.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
tzedek said:
Do you just assume that anyone who is famous is automatically guilty of any crime they are accused of? Even after they were proven in a court to be innocent? I guess now I understand how you are a true American
Tez,

Doesn't matter what I think. The jurors were told, by Cochran, not to judge the case by the legal merits, but to right a racial injustice.

AT THAT POINT A MISTRAIL SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED.

He was a powerful black lawyer, with a preacher-like delivery, and they bought it hook line and sinker. They did what they were told. He used them, and he used the system.

Justice was not served....

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Do I think OJ did it? Yes. Should he have been convicted? Not with the evidence issues the case had. To read about those check out "Cracking Cases" By Henry C. Lee

Here's the basics:
1. The lead detective on the case was a known racist and was on tape saying "I bet that N***** did it"
2. Her blood was found inside the toe of his sock. Not on the outside, not on or in his shoe... just in the toe.
3. 10 cc's of his blood was taken and instead of being transported properly in a cooler dirrectly to the lab, the lead detective carried it in his pocket for 10 hours. 4 cc's of this blood went missing during the case.
4. The blood evidence that was found linking OJ to the crime was conaminated with a checmical used to prevent coagulation. This checmical is found pretty much only in test tubes and vials used for collecting blood.
5. Photos the day of the crime show no blood on her gate handle. Photos two weeks later show massive quantities of OJ's blood on the gate handle. Blood that should have been degraded after two weeks but wasn't but did have the chem's mentioned in point 4.

Based just on the problems with the forensics there was enough room for reasonable doubt. Cochran was just a good attorney. You can't honestly tell me that if you were up for capitol murder you wouldn't want the very best attorney on your side. Even if he was the guy that got OJ off.

tzedek

Original Member
voiceofreason said:
Tez,

Doesn't matter what I think. The jurors were told, by Cochran, not to judge the case by the legal merits, but to right a racial injustice.

AT THAT POINT A MISTRAIL SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED.

He was a powerful black lawyer, with a preacher-like delivery, and they bought it hook line and sinker. They did what they were told. He used them, and he used the system.

Justice was not served....
proof... :confused:

voiceofreason said:

THAT is a good thing.

You fucking white person.

voiceofreason said:
Mods! I want a Mod ruling on this Flaming Racist remark!
It was fairly obvious that I kid. However you are a fucking white person. If you were not a white person, I'd say you were lying.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
MagicHobo said:
It was fairly obvious that I kid. However you are a fucking white person. If you were not a white person, I'd say you were lying.
Wts? Why judge based on color?