WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Favorite Laptop Line

Favorite Laptop Line?

• Compaq Evo/HP Business Laptop/Compaq LTE/HP Omnibook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HP Pavilion

• Asus - Any Line

• Acer TravelMate

• Gateway Solo

• Total voters

Descent

Hella Constipated
Okay, I feel we need a laptop thread here, so we can discuss the benefits/disadvantages of each laptop line.

If you vote, please state why. Personally I'm a fan of IBM for their superior construction, ergonomical design, and reliability. I feel they are worth the price premium, because in the end they can pay for themselves, because the repair costs total zero usually. Sure, you have to buy replacement Trackpoint Caps, but that's nothing. They're about $3 for a pack of 10, last time I checked.

Also, the IBM Trackpoint is the greatest laptop input device ever made by mankind. The competition's don't even compare, they have no precision, as well as a nasty feel to them.

I find it to be more precise than a touchpad, as well as quicker.

The Compaq LTE's come in a VERY close second. Every one I've used has been almost as good as an IBM, better in some respects, such as gaming. I miss my old LTE 4/75Cx dearly. 640x480 active matrix RULED for DOS games!

What's your favorite brand?

Jung

???
Premium
How do you include crap like two Dells/Compaqs, yet leave out Sager, Toshiba Satellites and Apple's notebooks?

I'd have to agree on IBM's quality though. One of my personal favorites being my IBM ThinkPad X31. It's a ThinkPad, so it's constructed very well, it's extremely light and sports a Pentium M. The only thing I don't like about IBM is that 256MB of ram is standard, where as other manufacturers include 512.

My new favorite laptop is my 12" PowerBook. It's definitely designed with quality in mind, and the aluminum case is a nice touch. Aside from the touch pad taking a little getting use to, I love it. I don't think I've touched my ThinkPad more than a few times since buying it.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Must say it's the IBM ThinkPads and the Apple PowerBooks as the top-runners for me. The Apple iBook wouldn't be too bad if the keyboard wasn't so damn small and squished together. I haven't looked too much at the Sager/Toshiba lines as they seem to be ungodly expensive.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
I'm not really that knowledgeable about this shit but mine is ap Hp Pavillion. It works for what i need. The only thing is that its a complete beast...the thing is huge and heavy, definitley not portable....and the battery lasts like 45 minutes. :thumbsdn:

Jung

???
Premium
BRiT said:
I haven't looked too much at the Sager/Toshiba lines as they seem to be ungodly expensive.
True, the Sagers are expensive, but they'd be more of an Alienware/Voodoo rival, rather than a normal notebook. Toshiba's Satellite series isn't really that expensive, especially compared to the ThinkPads. For an x86/Windows laptop I'd definitely go for either a ThinkPad or Satellite though.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
I cant really vote seeing as I've only owned one laptop... my compaq one.. presario 2100.. got it on sale and as a display model so it was low cost as fuck.. just dumped another ram chip in it.. runs real good now...

Easty

Click click boom
i've had my compaq presario for a while now and it fucking rules. it could use more hard drive space and a DVD-RW drive though...

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
junglizm said:
How do you include crap like two Dells/Compaqs, yet leave out Sager, Toshiba Satellites and Apple's notebooks?
From personal experience, my family owns a Dell Inspiron 5100 and a Toshiba Satellite (bunch of numbers here). The Dell, (the laptop im currently running) has been flawless since the day of purchase, minus the little virus issue, but i blame that on Microsoft and my friend bob who likes to hack systems for fun. Thanks, Bob.

Anyway, the Toshiba Satellite runs like a fucking slug. Granted, it is about 1 or 2 years older than the Dell, but the fact of the matter is, it sucks. At least, ours sucks. We don't even use it for heavy duty internet surfing. Mostly the Toshiba is used for writing reports and papers and completing tests and experiments. Dell goes on the net.

Due to my experience with the Toshiba, I'm pretty sure I'll never buy one in the future. Other than the IBM thinkpad, i dont think i have any first hand familiarity with any of the othres. I picked my dell inspiron.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
My bad - I completely forgot.

Jung

???
Premium
tbsrk said:
Due to my experience with the Toshiba, I'm pretty sure I'll never buy one in the future. Other than the IBM thinkpad, i dont think i have any first hand familiarity with any of the othres. I picked my dell inspiron.
Eh, there are a lot of factors you should consider; what was the processor speed, how much ram does it have, is it a Celeron etc. You can't blame an old laptop for being slow.

I had a 500MHz P3 Satellite that I bought brand new, it lasted me until last year when I Ebayed it. It still ran perfectly, albeit slowly, but it was just time to upgrade. When I recommend Satellites, it's because they're built well and are quality laptops.

jamesp

In Memory...
honestly, they are expensive, but they are awsome: Alienware Notebooks.

and yes, they are assembled/constructed/created by Alienware.