WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines FDA approves ecstasy for soldiers in Iraq (experiments)

Jung

???
Premium
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1416073,00.html

Ecstasy trials for combat stress

David Adam, science correspondent
Thursday February 17, 2005
The Guardian

American soldiers traumatised by fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan are to be offered the drug ecstasy to help free them of flashbacks and recurring nightmares.

The US food and drug administration has given the go-ahead for the soldiers to be included in an experiment to see if MDMA, the active ingredient in ecstasy, can treat post-traumatic stress disorder.

Scientists behind the trial in South Carolina think the feelings of emotional closeness reported by those taking the drug could help the soldiers talk about their experiences to therapists. Several victims of rape and sexual abuse with post-traumatic stress disorder, for whom existing treatments are ineffective, have been given MDMA since the research began last year.

Michael Mithoefer, the psychiatrist leading the trial, said: "It's looking very promising. It's too early to draw any conclusions but in these treatment-resistant people so far the results are encouraging.

"People are able to connect more deeply on an emotional level with the fact they are safe now."

He is about to advertise for war veterans who fought in the last five years to join the study.

According to the US national centre for post-traumatic stress disorder, up to 30% of combat veterans suffer from the condition at some point in their lives.

Known as shell shock during the first world war and combat fatigue in the second, the condition is characterised by intrusive memories, panic attacks and the avoidance of situations which might force sufferers to relive their wartime experiences.

Dr Mithoefer said the MDMA helped people discuss traumatic situations without triggering anxiety.

"It appears to act as a catalyst to help people move through whatever's been blocking their success in therapy."

The existing drug-assisted therapy sessions last up to eight hours, during music is played. The patients swallow a capsule containing a placebo or 125mg of MDMA - about the same or a little more than a typical ecstasy tablet.

Psychologists assess the patients before and after the trial to judge whether the drug has helped.

The study has provoked controversy, because significant doubts remain about the long-term risks of ecstasy.

Animal studies suggest that it lowers levels of the brain chemical serotonin, and some politicians and anti-drug campaigners have argued that research into possible medical benefits of illegal drugs presents a falsely reassuring message.

The South Carolina study marks a resurgence of interest in the use of controlled psychedelic and hallucinogenic drugs. Several studies in the US are planned or are under way to investigate whether MDMA, LSD and psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, can treat conditions ranging from obsessive compulsive disorder to anxiety in terminal cancer patients.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
All of this shit and weed is still the most evil plant on the earth.....fucking hypocrites....To add irony to idiocy...i'm listening to "Bud Smokers Only" by Bone Thugs....and I'm high as shit.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
this is why all drugs should be legal, coupled w/ public education we all could be normal, productive, addicts.

That's stupid. The soldier would probably get addicted, break into the medicine cabinet where the ecstacy is kept, and then go joyriding in a tank.

although that would be hella funny...

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
gurlgonewild said:
this is why all drugs should be legal, coupled w/ public education we all could be normal, productive, addicts.
I don't know if i would take it that far.. heroine is a rough drug to make legal, but marijuana should be legal, and it is fucking retarded of the government that it isn't. Ecstasy? Don't know how i feel about that, I once knew a real smart girl who burned her brain out on X.

tbsrk said:
I don't know if i would take it that far.. heroine is a rough drug to make legal, but marijuana should be legal, and it is fucking retarded of the government that it isn't. Ecstasy? Don't know how i feel about that, I once knew a real smart girl who burned her brain out on X.
A few things should be legal, but the only one that comes to mind is weed. Most prescription pills are abused anyway, and that's legal. Drinking is legal. That's worse than smoking some bud.

Fuck x being legal, cocaine would be greatly abused, etc, etc.

</rant>

Tenderony
Rage against said:
X is fucking amazing.. but it eats your spinal cord :thumbsdn:
Plus you never know what the fuck is in it till afterwards. I am speaking from experience here, not media spin being regurgitated.

</rant>

bnccoder

Postaholic
I've seen good and bad but if it was perscription and regulated it would remove some of the danger of it.

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
Wow, I already have wierd dreams, I guess now I have a reason to enlist in the military.

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
dull_bullet said:
That's stupid. The soldier would probably get addicted, break into the medicine cabinet where the ecstacy is kept, and then go joyriding in a tank.

"Hella..." :mfinger: to AOL

Jung

???
Premium
dull_bullet said:

Ecstasy isn't physically addictive.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
See you have the order mixed up...its collect all of your thoughts and make sure you know what you're talking about...then post....you'll get it. Just dont get caught eyeing the Cock Turnips....they'll throw you in with those bitches.

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
There's also a study on the way with the Terminally ill.

Jung

???
Premium
dull_bullet said:
well i don't take the drug so i wouldn't know.............. :p
Why would you post about somthing that you have no knowledge of? Don't be "that guy;" put some thought into your posts.

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
junglizm said:
Ecstasy isn't physically addictive.
Maybe I'm missing something since I failed my pharmacy class, but I thought Ecstasy was actually a combination of different drugs, often including cocaine and/or some kind of opiate such as heroin. If that is the case, then it would be physically addictive as both of those drugs are physically addictive.

Jung

???
Premium
Skitch0o0 said:
Maybe I'm missing something since I failed my pharmacy class, but I thought Ecstasy was actually a combination of different drugs, often including cocaine and/or some kind of opiate such as heroin. If that is the case, then it would be physically addictive as both of those drugs are physically addictive.
Ecstasy is 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA). It's NOT physically addictive, nor does it contain cocaine or heroin.