WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Federal Agency Nixes Right to Privacy for .US Domains

Jung

???
Premium
http://www.thehostingnews.com/article1166.html
A decision made by bureaucrats of a Federal agency takes away right to privacy as guaranteed by the United States Constitution to all current and future owners of the .US domains.

This decision was unilaterally made by the National Telecommunications and Information Association ("NTIA") www.ntia.doc.gov without hearings that would determine the impact on those affected, and delivered without notice. In short, the NTIA decision was made without due process of any kind. This is exactly how our government is not supposed to work.

The effect of this decision is to disallow new private domain name registrations on .US domain names. In addition, if a domain is already a private .US domain name registration, the owner will be forced to forfeit their privacy no later than January 26, 2006. By that time, domain owners will need to choose between either making their personal information available to anyone who wants to see it, or giving up their right to that domain name.

If you are outraged at the NTIA's decision to strip away our constitutional right to privacy, www.TheDangerOfNoPrivacy.com will provide you with a petition to sign. (Only your name will be published, your address and email information will be kept private.) This Web site also provides a very easy way for you to send either a fax or an email, expressing your outrage, to your Congressperson and Senators. This is all provided at no cost to you. All that is required is for you to take the time to visit www.TheDangerOfNoPrivacy.com sign the petition, and send the fax or email to your legislators.

On GoDaddy CEO Bob Parson's personal Blog, www.BobParsons.com there are a number of articles where you can learn more about the NTIA's unfortunate decision and what you can do to help get it reversed.

I also will be talking about our right to privacy on Radio Go Daddy, our weekly radio show that debuts today, March 30, at 7 PM PST. To find out how to listen in, please visit the Web site dedicated to the show, www.RadioGoDaddy.com.

Reprinted with permission, GoDaddy.com
Posted on Thursday, March 31 @ 13:45:41 EST by editor
Freedom. Rights. :rolleyes:

Thanks, I don't think I'll be renewing my .us domains now...

Boycott

Soul Doubt
who the hell would have a .us domain? I mean... you could choose .com, .net, .org, .biz etc... why would you have a .us?

Personally, I wouldn't have a .us to begin with but if i did, I'd cancel. If it meant having your PERSONAL information PUBLICALLY posted for anyone to prank you with ... No.

Don't people realize the dangers of publically posting information on the internet?

Jung

???
Premium
Boycott said:
who the hell would have a .us domain? I mean... you could choose .com, .net, .org, .biz etc... why would you have a .us?

Personally, I wouldn't have a .us to begin with but if i did, I'd cancel. If it meant having your PERSONAL information PUBLICALLY posted for anyone to prank you with ... No.

Don't people realize the dangers of publically posting information on the internet?
I own two .US domains, I don't see the problem with them. I could ask why anyone would have a .net, .biz, .ws etc domain all the same though. Aside from some off-the-wall opinion, I really don't see what's wrong with them.

Did you reading the entire article? It hasn't gone into effect yet, although it's supposed to. Hence, why I said "Thanks, I don't think I'll be renewing my .us domains now..."

This is completely ridiculous, and unconstitutional. Had I know this when I purchased these domains, I obviously would've never bought them. :mad:

What really sucks is one is a fairly sucessful forum, where the url is actually a play on words. The other is just a personal site, so I"m not too worried about it.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
They shouldn't make it ALL .us domains, but rather ones made after a certain date... If they made it ALL .us domains don't you think they should be DEMOCRATIC about it and hold a vote among all .us domain holders?

Jung

???
Premium
How is that just though, or even a good resolution? Anyway, how many site owners do you think would actually vote for this? All other name spaces are remaining private, so this really doesn't make any sense.

P.S. Sorry if I come off as a dick, but I'm kind of pissed right now. No offense intended.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
junglizm said:
How is that just though, or even a good resolution? Anyway, how many site owners do you think would actually vote for this? All other name spaces are remaining private, so this really doesn't make any sense.

P.S. Sorry if I come off as a dick, but I'm kind of pissed right now. No offense intended.

They'll vote for it if it means keeping a private domain... I mean think about it, America is turning autocratic pretty much... Wasn't it America who revolutionized the world into being democratic? Why shouldn't this be dealt in the same way?

No problem man I'd be pissed off if my government was taking away my rights as well

Jung

???
Premium
Eh, I misread that. I meant to say, who would vote for the domains being publicized.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
The domain owners would vote for it... It'd be a one sided vote that would lose, which is probably why they aren't doing it that way, and rather than being fair and democratic, being shitheads and doing it in a now-trendy autocratic manner.

Jung

???
Premium
Boycott said:
The domain owners would vote for it...
I doubt most domain owners would vote for their information being publicized. Not that the vote will ever happen anyway. Thus far, this 'situation' has neglected to use any sort formality, or due process.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
hence the rest of my other post about the oh-so-trendy autocratic leadership that Bush is showing.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Well... given the FBI's moves to put little black boxes at the ISP's as well as ICANN's history are you surprised?

Face it, the US government doesn't want free speach and somehow they've got it that they own the .US domains.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Sorry to revive this old thread, but has anyone else noticed that ImageShack's .us server/DNS/Whatever is fucking crapping out constantly since the shit hit the fan?

I sent a new email from their .ws domain to login, but then 90% of my images are gone.

The "My Images" tool is ESPECIALLY unreliable.

Jung

???
Premium
Macbeth, the owner, posted a thread the other night about it being screwy. It's their DNS servers and some updates, it has nothing to do with the .us/.ws domain names.

Descent

Hella Constipated
JNG said:
Macbeth, the owner, posted a thread the other night about it being screwy. It's their DNS servers and some updates, it has nothing to do with the .us/.ws domain names.
Yeah, but I incorrectly assumed that all their DNS issues were handled by a third party.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
Yeah, but I incorrectly assumed that all their DNS issues were handled by a third party.
Not when you own your own servers. ;)