WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

firefox 1.5

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i read on boingboing that firefox 1.5 came out today..
i never got around to adopting firefox previously, are there any drawbacks or is it a win-win if i change over?

i read THIS already.. just wondering if there was more i needed to know..

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Firefox is dreamy. I personally use it, as do many who frequent this site. Most of the controls are compariable to IE at first glance and feel, and with time, you'll find that tabs are your friend, IE is the enemy, and Extensions are what make the world a better place.

Firefox is all about the customization. Most, without ugly unsightly toolbars. Extensions are little doodlehickies that make Firefox yours!

Oh yeah it's useful to know that Firefox will import all of your settings and bookmarks. Not sure about the History though...

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
will that include importing favorites?
i have about 60..

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
The only issue I have with 1.5 is that the LiveHeaders of the extension I used with 1.x broke with 1.5 and they haven't made an update for to work with FF 1.5.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
thanks for the help..
i'm using firefox now.

i had nod32 on IE, will it automatically run on firefox?
do i even need it now?

also, and this is probably silly.. when i'm composing a post now the message is within a black box, it wasn't before.. i have CTRL + F5'd.. i don't mind it but just wondered if it was meant to be..

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
I would use the AdBlock+ Extension. It'll give you the option to filter unwanted banner ads, and pop-ups.

I would also use Filterset.G with that extension.

This is an already compiled list of known shitty pop-ups and ads and the like.

EDIT: I'm grabbin a link for Adblock Plus for you.

LINK

P.S. I'd use the 'install' link that is on the INSIDE of the quote in the first post. It is the link to install Adblock Plus

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
is that on the dot.nl site from above.. i have bookmarked the site but not browsed yet..

edit: i'm too slow.. you already linked.. thanks

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Notta problem. Just about any customization that you can want has already been invented for Firefox, you just have to find the right people to ask, or know the right search queries. Some act a little funky though, so be careful. There are a few other FireFox threads/posts here on WTF as well that contain some other useful Extensions that members here use/d.

Extensions Thread

OylE

Man. Nature. Technology.
Firefox..

I'm using FF 1.0.7. Is there a LOT of differnce to 1.5? Is it worth upgrading to 1.5????
:confused:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
OylE said:
I'm using FF 1.0.7. Is there a LOT of differnce to 1.5? Is it worth upgrading to 1.5????
i don't know, i assume so.. just use my link in post #1 and read the wurdz.. ;)

Jung

???
Premium
OylE said:
You could try reading the change log or the link that was in the first post.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/releases/1.5.html
What's New in Firefox 1.5

Firefox 1.5 is the next version of our award-winning Web browser.

Here's what's new in Firefox 1.5:

* Automated update to streamline product upgrades. Notification of an update is more prominent, and updates to Firefox may now be half a megabyte or smaller. Updating extensions has also improved.
* Faster browser navigation with improvements to back and forward button performance.
* Drag and drop reordering for browser tabs.
* Improvements to popup blocking.
* Clear Private Data feature provides an easy way to quickly remove personal data through a menu item or keyboard shortcut.
* Answers.com is added to the search engine list.
* Improvements to product usability including descriptive error pages, redesigned options menu, RSS discovery, and "Safe Mode" experience.
* Better accessibility including support for DHTML accessibility and assistive technologies such as the Window-Eyes 5.5 beta screen reader for Microsoft Windows. Screen readers read aloud all available information in applications and documents or show the information on a Braille display, enabling blind and visually impaired users to use equivalent software functionality as their sighted peers.
* Report a broken Web site wizard to report Web sites that are not working in Firefox.
* Better support for Mac OS X (10.2 and greater) including profile migration from Safari and Mac Internet Explorer.
* New support for Web Standards including SVG, CSS 2 and CSS 3, and JavaScript 1.6.
* Many security enhancements.

The Burning Edge has more detailed lists of new features and notable bug fixes.

If you're using 1.0.7 then it would be wise to upgrade if only for the security updates.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
as an aside i'm using the 'black japan' theme and i love it.. anyone know of a better looking theme though?

and.. in IE i had a google toolbar with froogle and google pix as icons next to it for superfast searches.. on my firefox google toolbar search thing i can't make it search froogle or pix without going to google first.. i'm pretty close to just putting froogle and pix in my bookmarks to expediate it just a little but maybe i'm missing something..
i use froogle and pix more than google btw..

Jung

???
Premium
void said:
i'm pretty close to just putting froogle and pix in my bookmarks to expediate it just a little but maybe i'm missing something..
i use froogle and pix more than google btw..
You can go here and add different search plug-ins.

Or, if they don't have what you're looking for, you can create quick searches. Just right click in the search box for the site in question, and "add keyword search" then save it. After that you can type whatever the keyword is into the address bar followed by the search string. For example, I have newzbin.com set up with a keyword of 'n' so I can type 'n whatever' in the address bar and it'll bring up that search.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
if you are concerned about your favorites i highly suggest checking out http://del.icio.us/ or chipmark.com i prefer the second one because i foudn an extension for firefox that makes it feel just like bookmarks except i never have to worry about losing them and i can easily access them from any computer, anywhere

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
new firefox question.. since i installed 1.5 i haven't been able to watch video on sites like bbc.co.uk.. i kept meaning to rectify this but tonight i found some new sarah silverman video, making the situation now urgent..
when i attempt to play video i get the sound and no images.. i was prompted to download/install the latest quicktime which i did, still nothing..
i looked on extensions mirror.. looked on addons.mozilla.org..
do i need a firefox specific video program?
what do you use?