WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

firefox

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
i can't start firefox. about an hour ago i accidentally clicked the firefox logo way too many times which meant that it tried to load it way to many times so i did a ctrl alt delete and ended the ff process. then i tried to restart it and nothing, so i started closing some other processes. actually all i closed were all the annoying AOL ones that i can't get rid of. i try again, no luck. so i go into the control panel and add/remove programs and i remove around 5 different AOL applications listed, however there is no main AOL thing listed so i have to delete that manually. so i delete as many of those files as i can, but 3 won't delete because they are in use, which i figure is the little thing is the taskbar that won't die! i've tried stopping it from starting several times by doing the same thing that used to be used to stop messenger awhile ago.

anyway i restart after all that and try FF, nothing. i restart again and try it, nothing. i go in and FF is a process so i end it and try to load it again nothing. so i keep doing this, starting it in every way i can think of: quicklaunch icon, desktop icon, internet icon, program folders, run

right now im on opera because i still can't get it to run and all i wanted to do was write someone an email an hour ago.

if anyone knows why this is happening or how to fix it, please tell me

thanks,
-wiz

Jung

???
Premium
Try starting it in safe mode, either from the Start Menu or from dos. (cmd /k firefox.exe -safe-mode from run)

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
junglizm said:
Try starting it in safe mode, either from the Start Menu or from dos. (cmd /k firefox.exe -safe-mode from run)
i can't believe that worked. if i had thought of it, it probably wouldn't have, but because you said that it might then it did. i think jung has super magical computer powers. that or im extremely tired because it's almost 1:30.

thanks so much!

(im on ff right now :) )

EDIT: i think it is an extension problem, although that may be obvious. since extensions are turned off in safe mode maybe one of my extensions is messed up, although i have no idea which one

Jung

???
Premium
99% of all "Firefox problems" are caused by extensions or themes, just try disabling them one by one and see what works. Or post on Mozillazine and see if there are any known incompatibilities.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
it works now, i got rid of my del.icio.us extension, my calender extension, and my bookmark extension and it loaded up finally

Jung

???
Premium
Glad yours is working now, I just broke my main install. :(