WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Florida governor calls for millions to evacuate because of hurricane Rita.

Slacker

Postaholic
Though it isn't has powerful as Katrina, it is still harmful to everybody in south florida, the keys, and the Bahamas.

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Gov. Jeb Bush called Monday for the evacuation of about 5 million Floridians in anticipation of Tropical Storm Rita's arrival Tuesday as a hurricane.

The governor declared a state of emergency Sunday, activating National Guard troops, authorizing the use of public buildings as shelters and invoking state laws against price-gouging.

A mandatory evacuation order was issued for the Keys, and a voluntary evacuation was issued for Miami-Dade County's barrier islands and low-lying areas, he said.

As of 5 p.m. ET, Rita's maximum sustained winds were clocked at 70 mph -- just 4 mph short of hurricane strength -- as it churned toward the Keys and the Bahamas.

Rita's center was about 130 miles southeast of the Bahamian capital, Nassau, moving west-northwest at nearly 14 mph, the Miami-based National Hurricane Center reported.

Rita could become a Category 1 or 2 storm Monday night, the center said. Category 1 hurricanes have winds of 74-95 mph; Category 2 storms have sustained winds between 96-110 mph.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/19/tropical.weather/index.html

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...

after new orleans I'd worry too...

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
There's one thing people need to realize.

There is a possibility that the negative effects of global warming (like hurricanes) might amplify in a non-linear abrupt way (exponential?)

It's too soon to say, but if next summer the hurricane season is even longer and wilder, then I'd get the fuck out of the Mexican Gulf and ask the '08 candidate to chill on global warming gasses. Soon, it will be too late.

If you don't give a shit about global warming, or don't take it seriously, I vote that you should be castrated and owned by an hurricane.

Jung

???
Premium
I seriously hope, in light of Katrina, that more people heed this evacuation order.

magnolia

Postaholic
Those poor people don't need another hurricane. Like jung said, hopefully they get out in time for this one.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
RageAgainst said:
There's one thing people need to realize.

There is a possibility that the negative effects of global warming (like hurricanes) might amplify in a non-linear abrupt way (exponential?)

It's too soon to say, but if next summer the hurricane season is even longer and wilder, then I'd get the fuck out of the Mexican Gulf and ask the '08 candidate to chill on global warming gasses. Soon, it will be too late.

If you don't give a shit about global warming, or don't take it seriously, I vote that you should be castrated and owned by an hurricane.
Only a fool wouldn't realize the effects of global warming. I don't understand how we're still this fucked up.

Descent

Hella Constipated
BklynCannonball said:
Only a fool wouldn't realize the effects of global warming. I don't understand how we're still this fucked up.
"Well, it's good for business..." ( :rolleyes: )

Sinamon

~Broken Angel~
Yah this weather now sucks. I live in Georgia so we're supposed to get some baddd weather from Rita too :(

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
For once I'm happy to live in Finland.. I knew some people back in new orleans they had just moved there..they had bought a house and gotten alot of expensive things..NOTHING insured..because they just moved.. :(

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
I hope everyone does get out of there and safetly, and doesn't try to hold out like they did with Katrina.

okay i think that for once greyhound needs to go in and they just need to put everyone on the buses and let them leave. then news just said that with six hours of rain from rita new orleans will be flooded back upwards of 2-4 of water again and the pumps are only working a 30% capacity right now. doesn't look good

It's God's wrath - Part 2

i sure as hell hope that it doesn't hit new orleans.

the way i see it, everyone assumes that since katrina hit new orleans, this hurricane will go right to new orleans. it's too early to tell where it will go.

well shit, we don't know where the fuck it's gonna go, so get those fuckers out of N.O.

and maybe THIS time, Nagin will have a stricter mandatory evac.

Slacker

Postaholic
The hurricane is getting stronger and it is said to be a catagory 4 hurricane by wednesday afternon. It is heading towards the gulf of mexico.I n New Orleans, Mayor Ray Nagin postponed a planned return of residents to the city and ordered those who had returned to leave because of the threat posed by Rita. It is also said to leave 2-4 feet of rain which will cause another flood on the gulf.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/20/rita/index.html

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
It's category 5 now, and actually gaining strength. It's over 300 miles across so far, could be even bigger soon.

galveston was the predicted destination but the see her starting to turn. now she will hit houston for sure and NOLA is going to get pounded by rain. I heard on the radio on the way to work that if whatever is causing her to turn pushes hard enough, she will run back across the cost of NOLA into mississippi and back into florida as big as she is. texas is also preparing for the tornadoes that are sutre to follow.

WTF RITA it changed course early this morning and is now headed straight for Beaumont...which means i have to evacuate now....FUCK...

Latest news i heard was last night, this monster had sustained windspeeds of 295mph. It will break down a tad before hitting landfall...but they're still gonna get fucked...so im leaving.