WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Forced Listening Thread

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Basically the idea is this: We post a song, any song, that we like. The following poster must listen to it, even if it is not a genre he/she likes and critique it. What did he/she like, what did he/she not like? You get the idea.

I will put out this basic rule: Don't be a tard. That means, specifically, no Sesame Street, no Barney the Dinosaur, no played out Britney Spears songs, kapeesh?

I'll start with a classic: Phil Collins- Against All Odds

Spnkr

Hoodrat
Good song.

I don't really listen to this genre or Phil Collins at all, but I can say that as an appreciator of music, it was pretty good.

Vocals: Good emphasis on emotion, didn't like the lyrics though, kinda thought they went on-and-on a lil.

Piano: Liked the piano, well played.

Drums: Didn't notice them too much, they were alright.

Video: Kinda weird with the whole switching back and forth, but I guess it went with the song.

Next up: In The Air Tonight by Nonpoint (cover of another Phil Collins song)

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
You know what? This was a good diea, and I want to get it going.

Nonpoint's cover of "In the Air tonight" is definitely worth a listen if you're into the idea of hearing a grungier version of the Phil Collin's masterpiece.

Next up: Russians by Sting

disturbed86

FILOSAFUR
Certain parts of that song I swore I was hearing either "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen." That made it difficult for me to really listen to the rest of the song, but I kinda grinned at the music video because it was kinda hokey. I apologize if my brashness has offended anyone, but I'm running on 4 hours of sleep I am currently both easily distracted and easily made to laugh.

Let's make this thread a little heavier

or this one

I couldn't decide. Pick one :p

cat_scat

Forget the lube.
Okay, I listened to the first one. First of all, I'm not a big fan of metalcore. As far as musicians go, they're pretty damn talented. The drummer is kind of lacking though...just sort of common metalcore. Nothing spectacular. The video wasn't interesting. But all in all they're not all that bad. I just prefer a different sub-genre of metal.

Here's mine. Unfortunately, they don't have any videos, so you'll have to deal with this shitty still image.

Jung

???
Premium
That sounds like generic 90s pop-punk. Not horrible if that's your thing, but nothing really sets it apart from the other 100+ bands that sounds exactly the same.

cat_scat

Forget the lube.
I actually enjoyed that. The "vocals" almost ruined it for me though. It should of just been an instrumental imo.

Danni

Forever Sleepy
Premium
Pretty good. Reminds me a lot of some older stuff, and a weird combination of the Ramones and Misfits in an odd sort of way.

Yankee

Brang the amber lamps
That's... that was, er... I don't know what you want me to say. It was just weird. The beat was kind of funky though, in a good way.

rub1out

Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
I like the Killers, not as much as many others, though. Nonetheless, nice perky rhythm/beat, good vocals. 7.7/10.

May the next poster critique this bit o' weirdness:

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
It was good... kind of reminds me of beck... And cake too for some reason. I probably wouldnt buy it though.

rub1out

The video and song went well together. That said, overall I thought the song was a tad bit slow and long. And I wanted the singer to really wail, and he didn't. :(

Next:

disturbed86

FILOSAFUR
Okay, I listened to the first one. First of all, I'm not a big fan of metalcore. As far as musicians go, they're pretty damn talented. The drummer is kind of lacking though...just sort of common metalcore. Nothing spectacular. The video wasn't interesting. But all in all they're not all that bad. I just prefer a different sub-genre of metal.
All valid points. I agree about the video, I picked the song for the song not the video :).

Also agreed on the drummer. Nothing spectacular, but I think he at least holds up his end of what he needs to do--if nothing more.

Rub's vid: I didn't hate it. That sound going on for half the song struck me as kind of grating, but I get the idea that that was the point. I say grating, but the song in itself is really not all that unpleasant to listen too. It's not really my kind of thing--and for some reason I get the feeling this should be on a movie soundtrack or something.

I kinda like this cover, but we'll see....
Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver
by the way that was a BITCH to find. People upload so much crap on youtube anymore that I had to go looking for it.

edit: I roffled. I found a video of a high school band that did a cover of the cover...badly. With three guitarists. And a bassist that had his instrument hiked up so high it looked like he should have been playing some jazz.

That1Guy

Sinister Cookie
I actually like that cover. I'm not a big fan of Killswitch, but their vocalist seems to catch my attention pretty easily. I think it worked for this song :thumbsup:

Soulfly - Riotstarter

disturbed86

FILOSAFUR
It's different. I like it. It sounds like two different songs thanks to the two minute drum and chant thing at the beginning...but if it were two songs I'd probably like them both :)

and now for another complete change of pace.

Danni

Forever Sleepy
Premium
I love Andrea Bocelli! That's all I have to say about that one. Jesus. He's awesome.

Memories by Within Temptation

Stardust

stomping through the forest like a tiny dinosaurus
Premium
I'm an alleater in music, and this is one lovely song. It's not the typical what I listen to, but it's a great sad/chill out song.

The mars volta - televators

Avidity

Definitaly not an illuminati agent. Move along.
^EDIT: Because I forgot my critique. XD It was a very tragic song/video, and only the color scheme left more to be desired. Too literally dark, IMHO. Otherwise, a very lovely song.

Two of the most provocative videos I've ever witnessed.

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
Basically, the seals one was kinda lame. I'm all for killing animals to eat and use their parts and whatnot. So... this one didnt really connect well with me.

The lady tron one... i guess the video was cool... but the song wasn't very creative. It left me thinking about girls being wanted for being young... you know like child molesters or something... i dont know man... i wouldnt buy it... or even listen to it again.

or

rub1out

I took the second Acid Bath. :D

I like the guy's voice, decent guitar riffs, the tempo was pretty good. Still a little long, though. Maybe I have A.D.D. or something. :(

Anyway: