WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Forgotten Hero

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
I wrote this free verse poem my senior year of HS for a 'Reflections' Writing competition. To give you a subject, it concerns my strong disgust and hatred with how protesting against the war in the Middle East degrades the efforts of the brave and patriotic individuals who are protecting our great nation.

Note: This is written from a Conservative point of view. If you can't stand Republicans, you may not like this poem.

THEME: "A Different Kind of Hero"

Forgotten Hero

The mother weeps.
A family torn apart.
Memories flood her mind
Gone, forever.
A son discerning himself
as invincible
taken in an act of hatred.
Life seems so precious
when it's taken away.
This nameless soldier
receives little credit.
Instead,
a generalization.
She feels so insignificant;
such a small part
of a colossal machine.
A human giving his life
for a better future.
His efforts quickly forgotten
by a busy world.
A world distorted
by commerce and politics.
There are millions.
Open your eyes!
People are dying
to be justified
by heartless protestors.
We accept
these unprecedented ideas
of free and unobstructed security.
Can't you see?
Can't you see how we dwindle
into a deadly complacency?
The few who remain
in their intrepid acts of justice...
not for eminence or prosperity;
but rather for dignity.
These...
are the different kinds of heroes.

Y

Yugioh

i have a lot of poems let you know when i find them and post them they put your to shame

blah

Tenderony
Yugioh said:
i have a lot of poems let you know when i find them and post them they put your to shame
This coming from a person called Yugioh...after a kiddy cartoon...im not impressed :p

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Zickddot said:
eh im a republican hater myself, but i do like it
i second that. besides i think there is more to like about it if your not a republican. it's good work... better than anything i could ever come up with!

Tagmatic

Banned - What an Asshat!
thats a fuckin awesome poem. my sister writes shit like that ... DEEP SHIT .. emotional stuff that puts you in that kind of weepy mode

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
Tagmatic said:
thats a fuckin awesome poem. my sister writes shit like that ... DEEP SHIT .. emotional stuff that puts you in that kind of weepy mode

i write most of my stuff when I'm extremely tired or in a thoughtful mood.

damknowitall

anylitical bastard
republican haters

tbsrk said:
i second that. besides i think there is more to like about it if your not a republican. it's good work... better than anything i could ever come up with!
i believe this poet has great talent. keep on posting thinngs, i am an independant, and dont like either of the parties, but i still think this was a good poem! :thumbsup:

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
its well written, yet argueably misconceived. for protests aren't about soldiers and their rightful honor but rather the defacing of it, by an oligarchy whose motives and actions aren't well received.

no. protests are the popluar perception that honor the soldier by utilizing their bloody, hard won rights -freedoms won on the battlefield- against a gov't which doesn't.

theme: the concept that gov't is an entity, and therefore can be inhumane, if left unchecked.

just my op :) but good for you! keep writing-

Mr Cliche

The Chosen
Well, you can't really say 'oh, I'm a Republican', 'or oh, I'm a Democrat', because they do stuff the same. They are running for the exact same things, it's just that one has a nicer track record. Me, I'm a Labour guy, 'coz back in the colonies we still have some small amount of visible difference between the two major parties.

Oh, and by the way, magnificent poem. There has been way too much stupid hillbilly propaganda enforcing the war.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
gurlgonewild said:
its well written, yet argueably misconceived. for protests aren't about soldiers and their rightful honor but rather the defacing of it, by an oligarchy whose motives and actions aren't well received.

no. protests are the popluar perception that honor the soldier by utilizing their bloody, hard won rights -freedoms won on the battlefield- against a gov't which doesn't.

theme: the concept that gov't is an entity, and therefore can be inhumane, if left unchecked.

just my op :) but good for you! keep writing-
thanks for the constructive criticism, but i think you're missing the point of my writing.

im not saying that protests degrade human actions, although that can be commonly interpreted. what i attempted to convey was the fact that people often protest against issues they have no experience towards because their ideas of realism are the extent of the US economy and media, which IMO, is a fucked up way to decide where you stand and what you fight against.

The message I'm trying to send is that people just need to open their eyes and realize that the world is not a peace-loving multi-cultural society. War essential fuels economy, like it or not. The ambition to improve, succeed.. for what purpose? to "out-do" the next guy. to be the best. You can argue the motives behind any war, but the fundamental objective is overpowering sovereignty. What it comes down to is US military forces are risking their lives for millions who scoff at unselfish efforts of establishing security. I dont care what your outlook is on the war, that's just fucked up.

again, thanks for the review. :thumbsup:

blah

Tenderony
War is self sustaining and works in symbiosis with politics and economy. War can only fuel an economy if the politics allows it. Or if the the politics want it to... Removing war from the world doesnt kill the economy, the world will keep on turning. The costs of war compared to the amount of work it creates on the market are really a sort of vicious circle, removing the entire circle wont harm anything really, but it will keep going forever if economy and politics keep feeding it. The hunger for power, wealth and reputation is just too strong to ever be cured.

The funny thing is, did you ever stop to think what we are fighting for, if that in fact really is the thing, oil ? Fossil fuel is something that is disappearing fast. Instead of supporting research into alternate powersources we choose to fight over oil, a thing that is slowly destroying the envirronement and causing huge political and social problems. We could be building solar chimneys in the sahara, instead we use the hundreds of billions to wage wars and fly to mars (thats my rhyming for today in this forum)
We watch aids and hunger wipe out entire villages and etnic groups and do nothing because all the region has to offer is sand (the main ingredient for solar chimneys is sand and space, plenty of that in africa and asia)
Mankind is slowly turning into a Mad Max movie, tribes fighting over oil and power...not caring about the world around them, or the people.