WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Fox Hunting

linz666

Flame Bait
I have no idea why I just got the urge to write this, but I just felt the need to say that fox hunting is utter poop. Sorry if some of you people are like all for it, but don't you think it's a cruel blood-sport??? Lets see people...who's for and who is against?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Rather than calling it "poop" you may want to explain your reasons for it. Basically I'd recommend going the "intelligent discussion" route instead of the random name calling.

Most users are in the US and may or may not fully understand what fox hunting entails. Give us a description of teh activity, why you don't like it and some structured comments.

linz666

Flame Bait
Fox Hunting - Improved

Arguments For And Against Fox Hunting.

On one hand some people believe that fox hunting is an advantage to the environment these days due to the fact that supporters of fox hunting consider foxes to be vermin, like rats.
They say foxes spread disease and often break into farms and kill animals.
Some people that live in the countryside are also in favour of fox hunting;
they believe fox hunting is a good way of keeping the number of animals under control.
It is often said that fox hunting contributes significantly to the economy of rural areas, providing employment in a variety of ways, therefore helping to preserve traditional communities and patterns of life, which are highly valued.
On the other hand many people are strongly against fox hunting due to the obvious factors of it being cruel, stating the fox is killed by dogs in a barbaric way. There are other ways in which the number of foxes can be controlled, in much less violent ways. The way in which the hunters go about it is not acceptable. The foxes for example could be shot, which is still wrong as its killing an innocent animal. But the fox would endure less suffering that what
it would experience being chased and attacked by a hound of dogs.
In conclusion I believe fox hunting is wrong and strongly disagree with all statements implying that fox hunting is acceptable in the society. There is no way that such vile ways of animals killing animals can be justified to be right. I don’t see how anyone can derive satisfaction out of hounding an animal to it’s death and get some morbid thrill out of seeing it ripped apart by
a pack of other animal is deeply abhorrent. I therefore count myself as one of those persons, the hunters end up amounting to worthless sorry excuses for what is a barbaric practice!

Base

it's a motherfucker
people think that foxes are cold bloded killer and thats their excuse for deciding that they're a pest and should be hunted. Foxes actually only kill on mass scale because they do not know when their next meal will be. They usually store their food by burying it. Thats the fact.

Personally i am against fox hunting, I think it is cruel and in-human. But that is my opinion

littleone

the short crazy one
How do you feel about watching a group of guys beating up one guy? Is that wrong? Is that humane(sp?)? Is that fair? I realise that it's not the same thing, but do you understand what I'm saying? It's close to the same thing. It has even come down to the point that some guys get killed, not by weapons, but by barbaric hands of another animal that claims to be human.

By the way, I'm indifferent about fox hunting. I really don't know too much about it, and it never really occured to me as a real problem before. Never really thought about it. More history and information?

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Basically, if I know my hunting correctly, and also keeping in mind that I'm from Indiana, and have never witnessed the events, It's a bunch of guys on horseback, running after a pack of 'foxhounds' that chase down a fox. Once tired, the fox tries to hide, gets found by the hounds, and summarily ripped to shreds, being outnumbered by approximately 30 to 1. Of course, that all depends on IF the hounds catch the fox, and most hunters revel in the chase more than the kill, although that doesn't make it any less bloody when it happens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox-hunting

Base

it's a motherfucker
BrIONwoshMunky said:
outnumbered by approximately 30 to 1
pretty fair *in a sarcastic tone*

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I would also like to add that while Scotland has outlawed hunting with dogs, they haven't outlawed using dogs to chase game to the gun. Therefore, 9 out of 10 of the organized hunts in Scotland still survive, and with bullets, there's now double the amount of foxes killed... albeit in a more 'humane' manner.

R

RedOctober

I am against fox hunting.
For obvious reasons.

A fox has a territory, so if a fox is hunted down, another fox will take over the territory, there will be more rivalry and because of that more stress.
Also the territories change, because of the newcomers.
As a result of the hunting, there will be more foxes!

It's the hunters that have lost their feeling for normal proportions in nature.
And especially the English fox hunting is from the time when the bloody Norman noblemen used the entire English countryside for their own pleasure to hunt, and a simple Saxon peasant would be hanged for arresting a hare.

If you compare it with another preditor, the cat, you see the same picture.
In a region where there are cats living in a steady environment, they keep their own territories. Rodents get snatched wherever they come.
If the cats get shot, there are changes in the territories, so there will be gaps, resulting in more rodents.
This also brings in more cats.

The most important thing is, the lesson that nature can take care of itself, and if you're a chicken farmer.. Take care that your fence is ok.. :cool:

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
You really don't have a clue about what you thought that you were trying to say. Do you?

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
If I were in England or Wales or wherever they have such a gay ass sport, I dont think I would be into that. I mean, what kind of pansy ass sits on top of a horse while dogs chase down the prey? Me, I prefer to chase my own prey, trap it, shoot it, clean it and eat it. Thats a much better way of killing something, I think. Because we all know that if you are going to torture something to death, its much more humane to do it yourselves.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
dustinzgirl said:
If I were in England or Wales or wherever they have such a gay ass sport, I dont think I would be into that. I mean, what kind of pansy ass sits on top of a horse while dogs chase down the prey? Me, I prefer to chase my own prey, trap it, shoot it, clean it and eat it. Thats a much better way of killing something, I think. Because we all know that if you are going to torture something to death, its much more humane to do it yourselves.
you wouldn't be able to.. it was a 'sport' solely for the rich, it was basicly a tradition turned into a twat pageant turned into a networking event.. the nearest the likes of you or me would get to it was as black clad sabotours, blowing horns and whistles to distract the hounds and laying bogus scents.. and getting the shit kicked out of us by the cops..

R

RedOctober

It's quite simple, it's something for upperclass twits.

The English have invented more of this ridiculous things to pass their bordedom. Like crickett, the most boring sport in the world.
Even the players fall asleep once and a while. :flamed:

Another point is, that the English upperclass monkeys don't like foxes, because those qute little animals are much smarter than they.
And they also like to cripple horses by racing them over hedges and stone walls, while the road is there where it was from the moment the Romans marched there.

</sarcasm> <---- That's for the mods.. And Void.. :D

R

RedOctober

countrygrl said:
You really don't have a clue about what you thought that you were trying to say. Do you?
Do yo' mean me? Do yo' knows whut a fox looks like?

Englan' is sumpin else than back home in yer nutbush village gal, ah reckon. ah bet yo' rednecks shoot at ev'rythin' thet moves.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
RedOctober said:

Englan' is sumpin else than back home in yer nutbush village gal, ah reckon. ah bet yo' rednecks shoot at ev'rythin' thet moves.
:mad:

this is what i mean when i call you racist.
this is what i mean when i say take it to B&T.

what will it take?

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
RedOctober said:

If you would actually do a little research rather than just write the first thing that comes to mind you would know that fox hunting is quite popular in the US.

http://www.btinternet.com/~countryside.webservice/linkhunt.htm

Steeple chases are also popular.

linz666

Flame Bait
wtf

countrygrl said:
now who exactly are you saying that to?? if it goes to me, then yes i do. read again. slowly. u might get it next time. :mfinger:

linz666

Flame Bait
Alternitive

dustinzgirl said:
or... how about you just don't kill innocent animals at all? i don't know. i mean, what's getting into me thinking that killing innocent animals, torturing some of them and all just for a bit of fun and dinner when you can easily get it at the shop is cruel?... :confused:

Boycott

Soul Doubt
linz666 said:
or... how about you just don't kill innocent animals at all? i don't know. i mean, what's getting into me thinking that killing innocent animals, torturing some of them and all just for a bit of fun and dinner when you can easily get it at the shop is cruel?... :confused:

Dude, you're better off arguing that the slaughter of bovine is inhumane... How do you think the "shop" gets its meat?

In my opinion, as long as the fox isn't close to extinction, let the people do as they wish. No, it's not "fair", in a sense, but nothing that humans do IS. Keep in mind that the fox hunts hares, and Wild Turkey and stuff like that - Another prime target for hunters out in the country... What better way to increase the number of Wild Turkey or Hare than to take out the top natural predator?

Base

it's a motherfucker
although i'm against fox hunting, i think that inforcing the ban is wrong. education about nature and biodiversity would help a hell of a lot more in the preservation of the countryside and wildlife.