WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Discuss Frankly, We Do Give a Damn: The Relationship Between Profanity and Honesty

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Abstract
There are two conflicting perspectives regarding the relationship between profanity and dishonesty. These two forms of norm-violating behavior share common causes and are often considered to be positively related. On the other hand, however, profanity is often used to express one’s genuine feelings and could therefore be negatively related to dishonesty. In three studies, we explored the relationship between profanity and honesty. We examined profanity and honesty first with profanity behavior and lying on a scale in the lab (Study 1; N = 276), then with a linguistic analysis of real-life social interactions on Facebook (Study 2; N = 73,789), and finally with profanity and integrity indexes for the aggregate level of U.S. states (Study 3; N = 50 states). We found a consistent positive relationship between profanity and honesty; profanity was associated with less lying and deception at the individual level and with higher integrity at the society level.

... snip ... snip ...

Conclusion
We set out to provide an empirical answer to competing views regarding the relationship between profanity and honesty. In three studies, at both the individual and society level, we found that a higher rate of profanity use was associated with more honesty. This research makes several important contributions by taking a first step to examine profanity and honesty enacted in naturalistic settings, using large samples, and extending findings from the individual level to a look at the implications for society.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1948550616681055

PDF @ https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1948550616681055

~~~
Does this mean "Always question those who never use profanity." ?

Gone-A-Ria

Girls are great!
Abstract
There are two conflicting perspectives regarding the relationship between profanity and dishonesty. These two forms of norm-violating behavior share common causes and are often considered to be positively related. On the other hand, however, profanity is often used to express one’s genuine feelings and could therefore be negatively related to dishonesty. In three studies, we explored the relationship between profanity and honesty. We examined profanity and honesty first with profanity behavior and lying on a scale in the lab (Study 1; N = 276), then with a linguistic analysis of real-life social interactions on Facebook (Study 2; N = 73,789), and finally with profanity and integrity indexes for the aggregate level of U.S. states (Study 3; N = 50 states). We found a consistent positive relationship between profanity and honesty; profanity was associated with less lying and deception at the individual level and with higher integrity at the society level.

... snip ... snip ...

Conclusion
We set out to provide an empirical answer to competing views regarding the relationship between profanity and honesty. In three studies, at both the individual and society level, we found that a higher rate of profanity use was associated with more honesty. This research makes several important contributions by taking a first step to examine profanity and honesty enacted in naturalistic settings, using large samples, and extending findings from the individual level to a look at the implications for society.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1948550616681055

PDF @ https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1948550616681055

~~~
Does this mean "Always question those who never use profanity." ?
I fucking love you! But I live in Australia so it won't work out.

Stardust

How am I still alive
Premium
Is this the thought of censoring yourself= dishonesty? I mean, often proper swearing comes from raw feelings spewing out, and in so you’re not censoring the swear words ie =honesty. People who swear more are more in tune with their real feelings rather than suppressing them?

Fÿn

Always black
So that's why I always dislike that Seinfeld guy and it explains why I love Bill Burr and Patrice O'Neal, etc.
I guess I'm honest as fuck then, I have to censor myself all the time.