WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Frat boy sues for $25 million after belly flop!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insanitee

I know where you live!
Wesley Holloway, now 20, was a member of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity at the University of Texas in Austin. After signing a waiver of liability, Holloway went to a party at the ATO frat house. As part of the party's entertainment, one of the rooms in the house was filled with foam. To help members clean up after going through it, frat pledges made a wading pool in the back yard. Hay bales were set up, lined with plastic, and filled with about a foot of water as a place to rinse off.

Holloway, who had been a competitive swimmer in high school as well as a lifeguard, was certainly well aware of the dangers of diving into a shallow pool. So he decided to do a belly-flop instead. To get a good splash he leapt from a nearby picnic table.

"He was successful in doing a belly-flop and keeping his head up," says his lawyer, Robert Alden. "He didn't know how far he would travel once he hit, or the fact if he hit the hay bales it would break his neck." Sure enough Holloway hit his head on a hay bale; his neck was broken and he was left a quadriplegic.

Maybe Holloway "didn't know" he necessarily would break his neck, but as a competitive swimmer and former lifeguard he "should have known" it, especially since he could easily see how shallow the water was. And sure enough, he did: he admitted it in a deposition, says the frat's lawyer, Jim Ewbank. Holloway's American Red Cross Lifeguard certification was awarded recently enough before the incident to still be valid at the time. But then, maybe Holloway's thinking was clouded: he admits to having begun drinking "hours" before the party started; his lawyer admits his client had drunk "about" four beers. After the incident his blood alcohol level was measured at between .082 and .085 percent; the legal limit in Texas -- for adult drivers -- is .08 percent. Holloway was just 18 at the time, certainly not the legal drinking age in Texas.

Still, Alden has filed suit demanding $25 million in compensation from the fraternity because, the suit reasons, Alpha Tau Omega was negligent in building an "unlicensed pool" which "lacked proper design, lighting, warning signs and other things required under city ordinances." Even though the frat did not supply alcohol at the party, Alden says ATO was "negligent" for allowing members and guests to drink.

Question: Do you think he deserves the money???

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Another perfect example of someone who Chooses to do something fucked up, then is flat out against taking any responsibility for their actions. What a fucking loser, apparently in every respect.

Blaze

Pyromaniac Extraordinaire
ditto :thumbsup: . what a tool. da fuck do you go and flop into a pool the size of a bucket and expect to walk away, wtf? the fact the news article talked extensively about how he was a certified life guard n' shit made it even more apparent that he's loser-hole.

yes, it's unfortunate that he's glued to a wheelchair for the rest of his life. Most likely, in his drunken haze he decided that he could rip off his shirt and reveal to the world that he was really Superman, dove off the table and broke his shit up :confused: . Sad. Don't do this at home kiddies! The next time you get drunk, just lock yourself in the bathroom and masterbate - you'll fall asleep that night with a smile on your face and you'll still be alive and healthy the next morning.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Fuck him. I won't say he deserves what he got, but the decision was all his, and now he has to live with the consequences. Life is tough.
There is a time and place for lawsuits, and his is only an attempt to use our legal system to get money by blaming someone else for his on stupidity.

Descent

Hella Constipated
No, he deserves to win, then recieve monopoly money in the mail under a secret court order.

What a stupid skunt. He's not going to try to save my life ever.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
He deserves to have something else broken. Preferably his femur.

magnolia

Postaholic
He doesn't deserve a cent. He knew better and it's his own stupidity that got him where he is. This kind of thing makes me sick to my stomach. Plus, the guy signed a waiver. That means that the Frat isn't liable if anything should happen. So he shouldn't get any money just for that sole fact. Keep me posted on the outcome.

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
He wants money for this shit?

Why?!

If this retarded shit ever happened to me, I would want to keep quiet about it for my own dignity's sake.

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
You call this a tragedy. I call this NATURAL SELECTION!! If someone wants to be an idiot, fine, let him get paralysed, and get his genes out of my fucking gene pool.

i think that's one of the most awesome things i've ever heard...dear god.. if you wrote a book, i would buy it even if it just had that phrase in it....man i laughed a lot when i read that ..hahahha

Sarikunai

Darkness will consume..
Do I think he deserves the money for being stupid? Mm-- Let me think about this one....no.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
he signed a waver. and the law has always been blind to drunkeness.. if you can get 25 mil for being drunk and diving into an obviosly hazardous pool. i can get off for hitting a child while driving drunk..

Jooss

Godo il sesso selvaggio
frat kids......:sombershakehead:
yea, some frat kid jumps into a foot deep pool and you stereotype about frat kids... shows how ignorant and clueless you are like everyone else who stereotypes...

Jack

Personable
Hey! Did you guys hear? The Japs just bombed Pearl Harbor!

Morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.