WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines French Ban on Religous Clothing

breakology

Kiss my Converse
1,890
4
102
#1
LINK to Article

In a move that has sparked protest across France, the French government last week passed a law banning public school students from wearing Jewish skullcaps, large Christian crosses, Sikh turbans and, most controversially, Muslim head scarves.
Was this a good idea or bad idea from the french government?
 
R

RedOctober

Guest
#2
breakology said:
LINK to Article

Was this a good idea or bad idea from the french government?
Well, I think it is a good idea.
It is better than to introduce school uniforms again.

If muslims don't back off in their stupid behaviour, the rest of the youth are going to blame them for the introduction of school uniforms.
That would lead to a lot of anger and violence, which in fact is just the main target of those fundamentalist assholes.

I myself live in Europe, and I am shifting my point of view.
Five years ago, I was tolerant, and now I like to put the whole bunch of ragheads on a ship of the "Never Come Back" Line.
 

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
16,900
3,363
487
#3
RedOctober said:
Five years ago, I was tolerant, and now I like to put the whole bunch of ragheads on a ship of the "Never Come Back" Line.
Wow, you're sounding more like a Bush supporter every day. They all think people with "funny clothes" are evil too.
 
39
0
0
#5
voiceofreason said:
Smells like discrimination to me...
Agreed.

redOctober said:
If muslims don't back off in their stupid behaviour, the rest of the youth are going to blame them for the introduction of school uniforms.
That would lead to a lot of anger and violence, which in fact is just the main target of those fundamentalist assholes.
Okay, so wait, let me get this straight. Just because someone has it in their beliefs to wear a certain dress, they are stupid? So I suppose people of the Jewish faith are stupid for wearing their yamulkas? I suppose they could say that you're just as stupid for wearing the clothes you wear. Yeah, right.

How would certain religious garments lead to the introduction of school uniforms, anyways? School uniforms are not in place to keep students from wearing religious garments, only to keep students from wearing clothes which are too revealing or associated with gangs. Many schools allow religious garments for certain students instead of uniforms.

This law will just serve to piss off the Muslim population even worse, leading to more violence.

Additionally, if you pay attention to the opinions near the end of the article, the French sound pretty goddamn arrogant:

"Some people have to realize that they're in France and not in Mecca. And I tell you something, that kind of people only respect people who are firm," said Jacques Myard, a National Assembly member of Chirac's governing party.
I guess I should expect this guy to believe in Islam whenever he visits Islamic countries.
 

chucktheskiffie

Way too hyper...
682
0
0
#6
what a stupid fucking law.

What could they possibly gain from passing such legislation??

Are they trying to stop certain religious or geographical cliques from becoming a part of their schools?? cause let me tell you, it ain't gonna work, speaking as someone who grew up in a very multi-cultural environment, anyone in Sydney can place a jewish, muslim or christian at 30 paces... what they wear does not define who they are...

It is a basic violation of rights. Muslim women will now have to be forced to change the way their culture has lived for generations - and why? because the government says so. They need to take a good hard look at themselves and realise that religous diversity is a reality, and people have the right to practice it, especially in a country that claims to be an advanced, democratic community.
 

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
1,329
0
0
#7
chucktheskiffie said:
It is a basic violation of rights. Muslim women will now have to be forced to change the way their culture has lived for generations - and why? because the government says so. They need to take a good hard look at themselves and realise that religous diversity is a reality, and people have the right to practice it, especially in a country that claims to be an advanced, democratic community.
Ah, it's FRANCE, what rights?
 

edub1371

nervous tic, dull knife
227
0
0
#8
Freedom fries!

;) The only way that I could possibly see this as being a smart move is if it is for their safety. In other words, if they are being harassed for being muslim on their way home, then yes it is a good idea. Granted, a better idea would be to have escorts for the little ones on thier way home. That implies the government supports their right to worship freely. If they aren't being harassed or something like that that may compromise theri safety, then the law just plain sucks. I know it is France and all but, even they can't be that far off point! Freedom fries rule! LOL ;)
 

chucktheskiffie

Way too hyper...
682
0
0
#9
edub1371 said:
;) The only way that I could possibly see this as being a smart move is if it is for their safety. In other words, if they are being harassed for being muslim on their way home, then yes it is a good idea. Granted, a better idea would be to have escorts for the little ones on thier way home. That implies the government supports their right to worship freely. If they aren't being harassed or something like that that may compromise theri safety, then the law just plain sucks. I know it is France and all but, even they can't be that far off point! Freedom fries rule! LOL ;)
that can't possibly be the reason... if people, for example, like muslims are being hassled for it, then they can change the clothing themselves... what about the ones that aren't being hassled, and want to remain the way they are??
 

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
7,540
506
257
#10
voiceofreason said:
Ah, it's FRANCE, what rights?
wow, I like your objectivity.

anyway, this law looks stupid. If you can wear in society, why can't you wear it in school.

The main argument for this law is to have secular schools (leave religious beliefs outside schools..) There is also alot of racial violence in the schools of France.
 
R

RedOctober

Guest
#11
Well... It's not alone the ragheads.
But also the bhurka's, and the clothing that makes it easy to conceil weapons and other nasty things.

Europe has an open society. In fact it is an old unwritten law, not to hide your face. If people wish to do so, they'd better move elsewhere.

It is their own choise to make themselves impossible.

I see a lot of muslim fanatics as fascist agents from their home country regime. Most muslims I know, hate the ragheads, and are terrorized by the fear for hidden agents.

I don't hate muslims, but I hate the fascism of their home land regimes.
We also call them ragheads.

The funny part is, muslim fundemantalists are friends of the christian fundementalists, Bin Laden and Bush are brothers in the same brotherhood of skull and bones.

Let's spead terror and conquer the world. :bomb:
 
R

RedOctober

Guest
#12
MaxPower said:
Wow, you're sounding more like a Bush supporter every day. They all think people with "funny clothes" are evil too.
They are provocating.

That's the whole point.
It has nothing to do with the religion.
It is idiot, the veil is forbidden in Turkey in public buildings and schools.
Turkey is a muslim country. But religion and the state are separated.

Well.. You know.. France is a christian humanist country.
And if the French do the same as the Turks, all hell breaks lose..
Quite funny..
Political correctness smells!

Guess what happens, if a woman in a bhurka wants to enter America ;)
How tolerant are you?
Not very!
A Dutchman wearing wooden shoes and riding a bicycle along a highway would be shot at. :smash:
 
R

RedOctober

Guest
#13
L33ad said:
Okay, so wait, let me get this straight. Just because someone has it in their beliefs to wear a certain dress, they are stupid?
No, they are stupid, because they provoke.
It has nothing to do with religion.
They are walking around, and their body language is..
"Well, I know I am an asshole, and I am proud of it."

It is self inflicted discrimination.


So I suppose people of the Jewish faith are stupid for wearing their yamulkas? I suppose they could say that you're just as stupid for wearing the clothes you wear. Yeah, right.
No problem, as long as people do not hide their face, or use clothing that can be used to possibly hide things.
How would certain religious garments lead to the introduction of school uniforms, anyways? School uniforms are not in place to keep students from wearing religious garments, only to keep students from wearing clothes which are too revealing or associated with gangs. Many schools allow religious garments for certain students instead of uniforms.
Your dead wrong!
School uniforms were always used to do away with inequality between students. No matter how rich or poor, whatever religion, every child wears the same uniform. And has the US Army also a special uniform for muslims?
I wouldn't think so.
Additionally, if you pay attention to the opinions near the end of the article, the French sound pretty goddamn arrogant:
France has more experience with muslim states than the USA.
The man is right.
The only way you gain respect in the muslim world is when you
stand firm. Just kick their ass.
They themselves do the same.

That's the stupid thing about Iraq. You should have hanged Saddam Hussein from the highest tree in Baghdad the day you got him.

Hesitating brought the USA in the mess they are in now.. ;)
 
39
0
0
#14
Turkey is not an islamic country its a secular country .. same as in France,,,,
whether people in Turkey decide to revolt against the law of not wearing a veil in public buildings or not that is left for the turks to decide ,,,
muslims,seikhs,jews and christians have opposed this law that was passed by the french government.....
this law is the first step to wipe out religon,,, they are going to do it slowly but surley,,, like cigarette smoke is bieng banned from all public places ,, though they don't fight religon out in the open like they do smoking
 
39
0
0
#15
RedOctober said:
No, they are stupid, because they provoke.
It has nothing to do with religion.
They are walking around, and their body language is..
"Well, I know I am an asshole, and I am proud of it."

It is self inflicted discrimination.
How do they provoke? They choose to wear the clothes they wear. So what if it is self-inflicted discrimination? It's their problem, not the government.

Excuse me if this is a little sterotypical. I don't know much about society across the pond, but here, the "gangsters" are plenty. By "gangsters" I mean those who wear baggy clothes, listen to rap music, etc. I'm sure most of you know what I am talking about.

Quite a few of the others try to stay away from these self-labeled "gangsters." It's self-infliced discrimination. Our government hasn't taken any steps towards outlawing baggy clothes and rap music, though. It's not the government's place.

My point is: the French government is infringing upon the Muslim way of life. It's not their place. How would you feel if your way of life was infringed upon? How would you feel if your wardrobe was disallowed in certain places? This law will only increase tension between the Muslim population and the rest of the French population.

I still think religion has a place in this argument. It says so in the first paragraph of the article. The Jewish are also being punished by this law, so are people who want to wear "large Christian crosses" - as quoted from the article.

RedOctober said:
France has more experience with muslim states than the USA.
The man is right.
The only way you gain respect in the muslim world is when you
stand firm. Just kick their ass.
Won't this only scare the Muslim states, rather than gain their respect?

RedOctober said:
That's the stupid thing about Iraq. You should have hanged Saddam Hussein from the highest tree in Baghdad the day you got him.
Alot of Americans wanted to do that. However, our government was (and still is) trying to make an impression on the Iraqi people, and show them how things should be done. After so many years of opression by the government, they need to be shown modern law practices.

I would write more, but I'm at school right now. This is turning into a good argument, on both sides! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
R

RedOctober

Guest
#16
Gosh...

Things are really a lot more complicated than Americans think!

At first, you have corrupt regimes in most muslim countries.
And corrupt.. I mean the mob likes it over there!
If you have enough cash to bribe an entire police force, the town is simply yours. That's reality in a country like Marocco.

The mob deals in drugs, weapons, explosives, and are the financing parties for allmost the entire economy.
The regime tolerates them, as long as they spend money to build things for the state. In fact a perfect fascist system.

(No, I won't go to Marocco affter I wrote this)

Maroccans told me that The former King once tried to kick all criminals and corruption out of office, and after one or two months the economy of the country collapsed.

The west is also supporting the regimes in the middle east. Mostly because of the oil. The people have tried for years to get rid of the dictators, but never succeeded. Some times like in Iran it grew even worse than before!

That is frustrating them. So they want to atteck the west, because they keep the dictators in their seats.

On the other hand, the regimes use certain politics to destabilize other countries. They send people with little education, who have no labor in their own country to Europe, or make them do that.. And the mob and the police help them with it, and make a good profit of it to shake their last money out of their pockets. Those people send money back to their homeland, and that is good for the regime.
Another thing is, it's very easy to hide agents between the migrants.

So, the whole point is, muslim dictatorships use their own people to expand problems to the western world.

Is that clear now?

Think about how Mexico would be able to take back Texas and California... ;)
They'd do it fucking ;)