WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Friends that are constantly self-glorifying...anyone ever heard of modesty?

Ok, here's one. Anyone have a friend that constantly compliments themselves but you have a feeling that a lot of the things that they may brag about probably aren't true, or are majorly embellished or exaggerated? I have this friend that is always saying how "awesome" she is at something, whether it be academically or otherwise. She'll always have a new story about some guy that stopped her on the street to tell her how beautiful she is, or she'll mention in passing constantly that she's a size 4 or so thin that she can't find any good pants or whatnot. She also brags about have lots of money and buying very expensive pieces of clothing or housewares. This even extends to personal matters to, saying that her ex-boyfriend left her because he was "addicted to her", rather than maybe he was just not in love with her and tired of her BS. The other day I was mentioning how I was nervous about looking for jobs after graduation and she has to use that insecurity of mine as an opportunity to make herself look good, as in "oh really, i got offered several jobs already" when I know this girl hasn't been offered any jobs because she won't ever give details. I just think she's lying and using these boastings as a shield so that no one sees her insecurities but at the same time it makes me feel inferior even though I can see right through it. It's very manipulative and frustrating. Anyone else got any hypothesis about why people do these things? :confuse: :( :(

Easty

Click click boom
lucy, i know what you mean. some people i know dont stfu when it comes to certain things. i think karma would have an impact on this also. i know this dude that was offered a job in florida doing some work for $30/hour. then he bragged and bragged and bragged. finally it caught up with him. one day the guy called him back saying they werent interested anymore.

what do i think of him? tough shit, shut the fuck up next time.

hey, that karma idea makes a lot of sense and sounds like fair punishment. One can only hope though.......

Definitely know the feeling

I know what you mean, only a mirror example have i. There was this one guy at school, i won't call him a friend, but he was always talking about how shitty his life was, how his girlfriend was pregnant and all this other made up shit. I'm almost certain this guy was a virgin until another friend of mine fixed that for him. Anyway, people really, REALLY started to like the guy because of all this stuff he said. Perhaps he has had difficulties, but the chronic lying was over the top! It might be less fun, but telling the truth about yourself can help you win friends too. And you don't have to cheat like a motherfucker.

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
BeaumanDP said:
Such sage commentary skitchoo
Yeah. I bet you would have liked it even better if you understood the joke. Alas, how often my humor in lost on a certain kind of person. *sigh*

polaris_nine

Banned - What an Asshat!
Lucy17 said:
Ok, here's one. Anyone have a friend that constantly compliments themselves but you have a feeling that a lot of the things that they may brag about probably aren't true, or are majorly embellished or exaggerated? I have this friend that is always saying how "awesome" she is at something, whether it be academically or otherwise. She'll always have a new story about some guy that stopped her on the street to tell her how beautiful she is, or she'll mention in passing constantly that she's a size 4 or so thin that she can't find any good pants or whatnot. She also brags about have lots of money and buying very expensive pieces of clothing or housewares. This even extends to personal matters to, saying that her ex-boyfriend left her because he was "addicted to her", rather than maybe he was just not in love with her and tired of her BS. The other day I was mentioning how I was nervous about looking for jobs after graduation and she has to use that insecurity of mine as an opportunity to make herself look good, as in "oh really, i got offered several jobs already" when I know this girl hasn't been offered any jobs because she won't ever give details. I just think she's lying and using these boastings as a shield so that no one sees her insecurities but at the same time it makes me feel inferior even though I can see right through it. It's very manipulative and frustrating. Anyone else got any hypothesis about why people do these things? :confuse: :( :(
Yeah, i used to have a friend like that. One day we just layed it on thick with her, we told her straight that we knew she was lying about all this stuff, and that we werent taking it anymore. The sad thing was, she was only lying to get sympathy and attention. One day she accually walked up to me and said that she had just miscarried, and had to go to the bathroom to put on a pad.

After that she ended up losing her friends one by one. I dont think Ive seen her since. heh.

hmm

Wow, that's pretty sad about your friend. This girl is doing something similar. She claims she has a disease that no one can figure out what it is, but its similar to breast cancer. She only talks about it when she needs an excuse to get out of doing a project or going to a class, or ya know, for conversation in passing, whatever the flavor of the day is. Anyway, yeah, there has to be a whole formulaic package for these kinds of people. Something must have happened to them in their childhood, or teenage years to form that behavior. I just wish I could understand it, or not let it bother me.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
I really hate most people these days. there all worried about numero uno. And they talk there way to a place where they should not be. I really hate it. There are few people in this world with self modesty. Damn i have to much of it. lol But come on some people need to take a reality trip.

sugarsickness

Mericuhn in Straya
I think everyone's had a friend like that at some point in their lives. I've got one, and her mom is the same way. And having both in the same room... it's a fucking nightmare. They always either talk about their boyfriend or they babble about their 4x4 car and how it can go up in snow and AHHHH.
They do it because they deserve to die at times... so they bring it upon themselves. Don't feel too bad if you accidently smash their faces into the wall.

Aka, I'd confront this girl you know and tell her to get over herself.