WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

from holland.. amphibious houses

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
could be an answer to the ninth ward new orleans issue, i heard on npr that one of the proposed solutions to the ninth ward problem is to relegate some of the housing area into parks/wetlands, or land that would be dispensible should there be another flood.. which was slated as possible considering the levee system is estimated to need 15 years work..

or.. do this..

October 04, 2005

Amphibious houses

01:57 PM architecture
The Dutch are gearing up for climate change with amphibious houses. If rivers rise above their banks, the houses rise upwards as well.

Drive-in from Waterstudio.
37 "swimming" houses are already strung along a branch of the Maas. At first glance, they seem quite unremarkable. The cellar, in this case, is not built into the earth, but on a platform. The hollow foundation of each house works in the same way as the hull of a ship, buoying the structure up above water. To prevent the houses from floating away, they slide up two steel posts - and as the water level sinks, so they sink back down again.

http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/007141.php

i would love to live in a floating house, very good idea. :thumbsup:

polaris_nine

Banned - What an Asshat!
That does sound like a good idea, I'm guessing the two steel posts would stem damage from high winds also?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
polaris_nine said:
That does sound like a good idea, I'm guessing the two steel posts would stem damage from high winds also?
they look to be enclosed, so they should be safe..
i think the dutch would've thought of everything, they are pretty meticulous.