WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

From Linksys to D-Link. Now it's software! -_-

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
So I decided to give my Linksys the boot - totally going against mom's bitching but I could really care less. I managed to find a D-Link router for less than a hundred Canadian bucks after tax, brought it home and hooked it up. Voila, my random disconnections are over.

Now the other problem to solve is that my computer doesn't like Torrents. Downloading them will quickly make me run out of "buffer space", and then next thing I know, I'll be completely out of resources, losing my start menu items and forbidden to open anything whatsoever... :confused: So now, with my very limited networking skills, I must figure out a way to get myself to keep my buffer space nice and dandy...

Heh... life sucks...

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Never used Torrents. But I can tell you it isn't a networking issue in the traditional sense. It's more of an application layer issue. Does Torrents have anyway to modify the buffer?

What OS do you have?
Do you know how to increase your pagefile? Or do you know if your OS is managing it?
I'm tempted to ask you if you have a bunch of stuff running in the background, but it would have to be quite a lot to have that much of a throughput impact. Still Try shutting down anything not in use in the background.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Yeah, that sounds like a Windows problem. Sorry to bust your balls, Shuri.

Your better off than me...I have a Dell router that overheats like shit. My dad got it for free when he bought his n00b laptop. It sucks ass, I couldn't even run a server off it until I flashed the firmware six months ago.

Seije

The Stranger Returns...
Shurikane said:
So I decided to give my Linksys the boot - totally going against mom's bitching but I could really care less. I managed to find a D-Link router for less than a hundred Canadian bucks after tax, brought it home and hooked it up. Voila, my random disconnections are over.

Now the other problem to solve is that my computer doesn't like Torrents. Downloading them will quickly make me run out of "buffer space", and then next thing I know, I'll be completely out of resources, losing my start menu items and forbidden to open anything whatsoever... :confused: So now, with my very limited networking skills, I must figure out a way to get myself to keep my buffer space nice and dandy...

Heh... life sucks...
my dad bought the D-Link wireless router thing and I bought a d-link wireless adapter for my computer to, well, link up so I can use the internet and stuff
well now the damn thing won't work...it did at first, for about a week maybe...but now it won't connect, find any networks, and I did manage to connect it this morning, and the signal strength was at like 30% or less, so it wouldn't even connect to the internet...nothing would work......damn technology why can't things just work!

so for now until my dad gets pissed off any longer that I'm doing this, I just got this 50' ethernet LAN catE5 cable running all over the place through the house to the router
it fucking sucks to buy $60 equipment that won't work properly...ppl shouldn't sell stuff if it won't work....and I did follow every instruction for it

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
Seije said:
my dad bought the D-Link wireless router thing and I bought a d-link wireless adapter for my computer to, well, link up so I can use the internet and stuff
well now the damn thing won't work...it did at first, for about a week maybe...but now it won't connect, find any networks, and I did manage to connect it this morning, and the signal strength was at like 30% or less, so it wouldn't even connect to the internet...nothing would work......damn technology why can't things just work!

so for now until my dad gets pissed off any longer that I'm doing this, I just got this 50' ethernet LAN catE5 cable running all over the place through the house to the router
it fucking sucks to buy $60 equipment that won't work properly...ppl shouldn't sell stuff if it won't work....and I did follow every instruction for it
run the secuirity code and match it to the router, normally there are 10 channels for a dlink router and then u may want to move your antenna

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Hypertron said:
haha...i have a cisco router...i win
What model? And what kind of config did you use?

Seije

The Stranger Returns...
The_DEA said:
run the secuirity code and match it to the router, normally there are 10 channels for a dlink router and then u may want to move your antenna
well I know it's channel 11..i have the right SSID..I've tried pointing the antenna's on both the router and adapter in all directions...and tried other stuff too, nothing seems to work

Descent

Hella Constipated
Have you tried sticking it up your ass? Your ass has juices which can allow it to get a better signal, not to mention a good 12V shock.

:).

Seije

The Stranger Returns...
jstager said:
Have you tried sticking it up your ass? Your ass has juices which can allow it to get a better signal, not to mention a good 12V shock.

:).
no i haven't tried that...turns out it's not the adapter..it's the wireless router
so we're getting a new one tommorrow, for now, i use the ethernet cable

Descent

Hella Constipated
Is it just me, or do they really not make routers like they used to? They work like shit these days.

Seije

The Stranger Returns...
jstager said:
Is it just me, or do they really not make routers like they used to? They work like shit these days.
i think it's technology going to waste...nothing works like it's suppose to

Descent

Hella Constipated
They build it to work, not to last. Thanks, China!

Seije

The Stranger Returns...
yea..it works at first..for almost a week,, and then all the problems happen...and then it dies

they build it so shitty just so they can make more money off you... use it a few times, it crashes, you have to buy another one. that's the way the world works. it's a get-rich-quick-at-the-expense-of-the-less-fortunate world.

Seije

The Stranger Returns...
we got a new one..yay..works great.

well..I guess i have a week before worrying about this problem when it'll probably happen again, lol