Fuck Linksys...Or Fuck Wireless??

The Cheat

Uber
I have a linksys wireless router (befw11s4) that stops sending or receiving packets every 30-45 seconds. It completely stalls for about 10 seconds every minute. Bought another linksys router (shortly thereafter it was returned) to find that it behaved the same way. Is this the state of wireless internet or is this just linksys making shit products? I've hardwired into the routers and there is no stalling so it isnt the cable line or modem. I know this isnt tech support...but damn is it fucking annoying and making my life suck for about 1-2 hours a day. Suggestions?

Jung

???
Premium
my linksys at home works fine, i have the WRT54GS. how far are your computers? are you trying to send the signal through a lot of bricks etc?

TheGunslinger85

Clitpickle
Honestly, to me, it sounds more like a problem with your layout..do you have anything that produces a large electromagnetic field (frige, etc.)? Linksys is a subdivision of Cisco...and they usually make pretty good stuff, from what I've heard.

The Cheat

Uber
If the signal strength is excellant does it matter about any intereferance? If not, then it is about 3 feet from a tv. but thats all.

The Cheat

Uber
No firewalls. Only one possible is windows and that is off. Ive done the standard tweaks liike setting MTU lower but that doesnt do much
I have a picture of it happening ill try to get that up

skylinec

Somewhere in the Between
The Cheat said:
I have a linksys wireless router (befw11s4) that stops sending or receiving packets every 30-45 seconds. It completely stalls for about 10 seconds every minute. Bought another linksys router (shortly thereafter it was returned) to find that it behaved the same way. Is this the state of wireless internet or is this just linksys making shit products? I've hardwired into the routers and there is no stalling so it isnt the cable line or modem. I know this isnt tech support...but damn is it fucking annoying and making my life suck for about 1-2 hours a day. Suggestions?
i have the same on but mine works perfect.....if its a matter with signal stength
put it somewhere where interference will not get to it

MaxPower

Sweep the leg
Staff
The Cheat said:

I have the same one and it works fine. I'm in the back yard right now (90 ft away) with several walls in between.

Did you try calling linksys tech support? they're really good an should get to the issue for you.

Did you download an install the new firware update?

Is the router's antennas completely verticle and un obstructed?

Are you sure it's the router causing the problem and not your wireless network adapter?

The Cheat

Uber
I've called tech support more times than I'd like to have (10+ maybe?).
The firmware's completely up to date. (It always has done this, same behavior)
Antennas are straight and there isnt anything in the way. I have 3 computers on my network, and very rarely a wireless laptop. The computers all have the wusb11 network adapter, and the wireless laptop has some Belikin PCMCIA card. It also lags the same way as the computer. I got out the command prompt and set my computer to ping my router 143 times, and in that time, the usual send rate was 3-4, sometimes 2, but occasionally it would shoot up to something likej 3000-4000 ms, and this is when it is freezing. It does this to all computers on my network, that are wireless.

TheGunslinger85

Clitpickle
MaxPower said:
Are you sure it's the router causing the problem and not your wireless network adapter?

I like this idea. What kind of adapter are you using? (I apologize if you've already answered this.) That could play a huge difference. I have a Belkin Wireless router. It didn't work for shit with my no-name brand adapter. When I bought a Netgear adapter it worked pretty well.

MaxPower

Sweep the leg
Staff
The Cheat said:
If the signal strength is excellant does it matter about any intereferance? If not, then it is about 3 feet from a tv. but thats all.
That's exactly opposite. The signal quality is what you want to pay attention to. If you have poor quality, you're going to be dropping packets, causing a lot of retransmits.
The actual strength of the signal is far less important.