WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fuck Via Technologies!

Descent

Hella Constipated
I have been bitching a lot about computers lately...and yes, I know it can get boring.

But nothing has pissed me off as much as this.

Via Technologies is a company who designs computer chips. They are most notorious for the PC Chipsets (Chipset=Memory controller), which have sucked cock since their inception.

Well...I have has two motherboards with their chipsets, and both of those chipsets are pieces of shit. The first chipset died, and the second board I have (FIC VA-503+), would be the best board ever made if it did not have a Via chipset.

This board has the Via MVP3 chipset. This chipset is notorious for it's poor AGP implementation. Very few AGP (Video) cards work with this chip. Sadly, I'm an ATI video card fan, and this thing HATES newer ATI cards. All I can get to work with it are NVidia cards (I have a TNT2 in there right now as we speak). It all boils down to the drivers. Back in the day, companies had to make special driver workarounds for these shitty MVP3 chipsets. Well, ATI took them out two years ago, as did NVidia. If you want to run the newest drivers, well, you better get your lazy ass up and go buy a PCI video card. I will NEVER spend the extra $10 for a PCI card (This board only has three fucking PCI slots!), not to mention I will lose a fair amount of performance.

I have gone through hell trying to get Unreal Tournament working on this thing. I fixed the mouse lag issue, but now I'm getting 40fps and the mouse refreshes every few seconds. I have tried every known software workaround in the book, and none of them work. Clearly Via's flaky ass fucked over the consumer again.

I have a LAN party in a few days, and I really need to get this thing up and running. If I can't, well, I always have a Compaq Presario I am recieving that I could use for the LAN party. My friend Joe has no PC, and he needs one to work on...

Oh well. Fuck companies who don't care about the consumer!

Pidgeon182

Bird of the Week
Shit. Get yourself an Asus..but beware they are notiorious for having the NIC burn out after a few years.

Jung

???
Premium
Pidgeon182 said:
Shit. Get yourself an Asus
a lot of ASUS boards use VIA chipsets, the KT series aren't that bad actually.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I have a new theory as to why it's fucking up...I think there is some old driver residue on there.

Win$hit 98 just killed itself earlier today, it now takes five minutes to boot up (four of which it just sits there doing nothing). I'm going to reformat it tomorrow and start clean...that should end my problems...

Also, you all are forgetting how hard it is to find a Super Socket 7 board with an AGP slot these days. The FIC VA-503+ was considered by many (including me), to be one of the best Socket 7 boards ever (It's also the best mobo I have ever used). Once you get over the quirks that the Via chipset throws at you, you really fall in love with the board. It's a sheer joy to work with.

Anyway, I'll let you all know how the formatting goes tomorrow...Hopefully UT99 will run smooth as silk then (It should...).

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
The best chipset for the older AMD Socket-A cpus is the Nvidia nForce 2.

I've been too burned by shit VIA chipsets that I've sworn them off -- KT133, KT266, KT400. All of them have had their own share of issues: lockups with Creative products, sound glitches, faulty USB, faulty NICs, data corruption on eide bus. I haven't had any issues at all with the nForce 2.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
I would never, ever use a VIA or a SiS chipset. But that is just me. Socket 7, I still have my socket 7 machine, running as a linux machine. But yeah, my other machines run off of Intel Chipsets. :thumbsup:

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
ok stop using amd and go pentium...and get a asus p4c800-e deluxe and stop your bitching. thanks im done now.

Jung

???
Premium
Hypertron said:
ok stop using amd and go pentium
why? so you can over pay for the same amount of (if not less) performance? btw, if you stopped using AMD you would go Intel. pentiums are processors that are made by intel. we're talking about motherboards and chipsets, thanks.

i have a kt333 board that has done me well for about 2 years now. i'm not saying it's the best, but it's definately not crap. on my newer computers i run ASUS nforce2 boards.

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
wow its amazing i make one god damn mistake because im tryping to fast not giving a shit about what i say and i get critised for it people never cease to amaze me. excuse me what i mean to say was stop using amd and go intel...if i were meaning to talk about processors i would say stop using athalons and use pentiums. MY FUCKING BAD.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Well...Personally I have a SiS chipset in my main machine, and it is the best damn chipset i have ever used. Never had a single issue with it. The new motherboard I'm getting for my B-day has an AMD 760MPX dual CPU chipset. I can't wait to have my dual 1.8GHz system :).

Also, Hypertron, Junglizm has a point. P4's perform just about the same as an AMD. So tell me this: What is the advantage to running them? Well? I have never found an Intel junkie who can actually say "why." They just say, "Oh, I like them more." Back it up with some facts, then maybe I will consider getting a P4.

Anyway, back to the chipset issue...I hear that the KT880 is a very good chipset, but I will never, ever, EVER buy another board with a Via chipset.

This socket 7 board was given to me as a gift, so I can't really complain.

Anyone else here want to share their thoughts on Via?

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
jstager said:
I have been bitching a lot about computers lately...and yes, I know it can get boring.

But nothing has pissed me off as much as this.

Via Technologies is a company who designs computer chips. They are most notorious for the PC Chipsets (Chipset=Memory controller), which have sucked cock since their inception.

Well...I have has two motherboards with their chipsets, and both of those chipsets are pieces of shit. The first chipset died, and the second board I have (FIC VA-503+), would be the best board ever made if it did not have a Via chipset.

This board has the Via MVP3 chipset. This chipset is notorious for it's poor AGP implementation. Very few AGP (Video) cards work with this chip. Sadly, I'm an ATI video card fan, and this thing HATES newer ATI cards. All I can get to work with it are NVidia cards (I have a TNT2 in there right now as we speak). It all boils down to the drivers. Back in the day, companies had to make special driver workarounds for these shitty MVP3 chipsets. Well, ATI took them out two years ago, as did NVidia. If you want to run the newest drivers, well, you better get your lazy ass up and go buy a PCI video card. I will NEVER spend the extra $10 for a PCI card (This board only has three fucking PCI slots!), not to mention I will lose a fair amount of performance.

I have gone through hell trying to get Unreal Tournament working on this thing. I fixed the mouse lag issue, but now I'm getting 40fps and the mouse refreshes every few seconds. I have tried every known software workaround in the book, and none of them work. Clearly Via's flaky ass fucked over the consumer again.

I have a LAN party in a few days, and I really need to get this thing up and running. If I can't, well, I always have a Compaq Presario I am recieving that I could use for the LAN party. My friend Joe has no PC, and he needs one to work on...

Oh well. Fuck companies who don't care about the consumer!
the state lan is in 2 days YAYAY!!!!!!!!

Descent

Hella Constipated
What state LAN were you talking about?

I mean, at the time :).