WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fuck you, FEMA

Jung

???
Premium
I'll preface my rant with an explanation of the government's Section 508 laws. They basically ensures that all web based information be accessible to all people, regardless of operating system, web browser or physical inabilities or handicaps. (most notably screen readers for the blind)

Well, FEMA, despite declaring that they comply with section 508, has chosen to restrict access to all browsers except Internet Explorer 6.0. This has forced many friends to seek out public libraries, internet cafes and friend's computers just to file for their relief. Needless to say it's a huge inconvenience for people who have already been inconvenienced more than most can imagine. Fortunate for me, I have a Windows PC around, but many of my friends use Macs exclusively, or Linux or what have you. That is unacceptable.

What FEMA is going is illegal, by federal mandate. I’ve had to write 508 compliant web resources before, and it was always a top priority. I don’t understand how an agency such as FEMA, an agency for the people, could ignore these guidelines, AND falsely claim to adhere to them. FEMA's official status is that "they're working on it," but there is no word as to when it will actually be fixed.

Fuck you, FEMA, for being a shit bag agency with shit bag developers.

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
Yeah, FEMA are just crooks.

For now, all I have to reccomend is that your Mac/Linux friends, and anyone else without Windows, for that matter, get Opera. Not the best browser (I got tired of it after a few days, crawled back to Foxie), but you can set it to trick them into thinking it's IE 6. But then again... You're right in not wanting to stand for that bullshit.

Fucking government. :thumbsdn:

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
A bunch of liars and crooks, thats what the goverment and all these fucking "AGENCIES" are full of! :mad:

Jung

???
Premium
get Opera. Not the best browser (I got tired of it after a few days, crawled back to Foxie), but you can set it to trick them into thinking it's IE 6. But then again...
That's only partially true though, and only works they only check the first part of the User Agent. Remember when my PHP script would always recognize Opera as Opera, no matter what? Opera still places a partial User Agent into the spoofed one, it only puts the fake one in the front.

This is from Who's Online.

Consequent, that method doesn't work with the FEMA site.

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
Forgot about that. Any idea why they're doing this?

Descent

Hella Constipated
screw_ball said:
Yeah, FEMA are just crooks.

For now, all I have to reccomend is that your Mac/Linux friends, and anyone else without Windows, for that matter, get Opera. Not the best browser (I got tired of it after a few days, crawled back to Foxie), but you can set it to trick them into thinking it's IE 6. But then again... You're right in not wanting to stand for that bullshit.

Fucking government. :thumbsdn:
Can I come back to Canada with you?

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
What a fucking crock!

FEMA needs to be teabagged!

jamesp

In Memory...
Why get angry about it? Everyone knows that government agencies and people aren't subject to the laws their government makes. FEMA is a joke anyway, why are we getting mad about their website when they left 350,000+ helpless in aquatic New Orleans?

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
jamesp said:
FEMA is a joke anyway, why are we getting mad about their website when they left 350,000+ helpless in aquatic New Orleans?
Looking at it in that perspective, you are right. But we would want the government to follow simple guidelines.

It's like when I got a ticket for parking in a non-parking zone, but there were about 4 cop cars parked there.

They want us to follow guidelines which they created for us, but they don't follow them.

Fuck FEMA, fuck the GOVERNMENT, fuck all authority!

ChilianFuckFace said:
It's like when I got a ticket for parking in a non-parking zone, but there were about 4 cop cars parked there.
similar.. I got pulled over for speeding 7 mph over 55, and as the cop is writing my ticket, another police vehicle passes us doing at least 90mph, and the asshole waves, then his fucking Crown Victoria throws dust all over me.

fucking bastards can't even follow their own laws.:gun: :gun:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
slemaire195 said:
similar.. I got pulled over for speeding 7 mph over 55, and as the cop is writing my ticket, another police vehicle passes us doing at least 90mph, and the asshole waves, then his fucking Crown Victoria throws dust all over me.

fucking bastards can't even follow their own laws.:gun: :gun:
maybe he had an emergency, happens.. ;)

i'm glad cops are humans, the alternative would be someone who didn't bend the law either way, which means you could kiss goodbye all those times a cop lets you off for anything..

they're assholes because they know everyone hates them.. it's a thankless job considering we all need them from time to time.

don't emergency vehicles put their emergency lights on when in an emergency situation?

nah, this bastard just had to hit up dunkins before it closed.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
slemaire195 said:
don't emergency vehicles put their emergency lights on when in an emergency situation?

nah, this bastard just had to hit up dunkins before it closed.
and that is an emergency..

his bloodsugar levels were dangerously low and he could hardly operate his taser..
cop cars should have donut fryers in them.. where the never-used front passenger seat is, next to the laptop..

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
void said:
cop cars should have donut fryers in them.. where the never-used front passenger seat is, next to the laptop..

Then where will he put his prostitute?

I agree with this thread, FEMA, and most other goverment run agencies suck. As a good friend of mine just said when we left yet another job unfinished, "Hell, its good enough for goverment work."

[back on topic]
My aunt lost 2\3 of everything in their lake charles house, and they applied for FEMA assistance on my iBook (safari).

are you saying that they're not allowing anything BUT IE to connect? or are their pages incompatible with other browers, so they only "support" IE?

either way is fucking horse shit. internet explorer is for virgins.