WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fuckin' internet explorer

I think I posted this thread before. Can't remember...

Anyway, I use FireFox. I haven't used IE in about 5 months. IE gives me pop-up ads, and it's very annoying.

I scanned for spyware, but it didn't pick anything up. I scanned for viruses. Again, nothing.

I have Kerio Personal Firewall, which blocks the contents of the ads, but the windows in themselves make me want to shove a gremlin up microsoft's ass.:happysad:

lady victoria

Too old for this shit!
Premium
:shrugs: Have you checked your firewall settings?... I know you have said that you have a firewall but the setting may be off or need adjusting , just a thought.

Jung

???
Premium
If IE is 'giving you pop ups' then you obviously have some sort of malware on your system. I seriously doubt that IE is just magically spawning pop ups without being used though.

Try setting the proxy in IE to 127.0.0.1 or a bunch of random numbers, see if that fixes it. I'd also try scanning with different software.

Edit: Are you sure these are web pop ups? It couldn't be messenger service pop ups?

Disadvantaged-c

omfgwtfbbqsteakmix
i have a feeling that you didnt scan fully, on ad-aware the defualt scanning option is to do a quick scan, try doing a full harddrive scan that should fix some problems possibly, or update maybe?

Jung

???
Premium
Try scanning with AdAware, Spybot and Microsoft Anti Spyware. I'd also Google for and install Spyware Blaster.

I have a program that mom bought a few weeks back called Spy Sweeper.

She bought it because it came highly recommended from the people who sold her her computer.

But, I'll scan with the ones you mentioned, jung, and see what comes up.

Disadvantaged-c

omfgwtfbbqsteakmix
Why would your mom buy one? ad-aware free edition is the best in the bisnuess for adware and spybot search and destroy is the best for spyware :p.

Jung

???
Premium
Unforgiven said:
I have a program that mom bought a few weeks back called Spy Sweeper.

She bought it because it came highly recommended from the people who sold her her computer.
I've never even heard of that... sounds like sales pitch to me.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
actually since ie is like monsterously intergrated into the windows system now, if you get some spyware/adware/malware in your system from using it once.. it will always be active... I had problems with popups showing up even if I'm not surfing the web... was hell getting all traces out..

Jung

???
Premium
Which is pretty much what I said... On a clean system, there is no way for IE to spawn pop ups while not being used, hence why I stated that he obviously had some sort of malware present. IE doesn't "magically spawn pop ups."

Jung's first idea seemed to fix the problem.

I'll still scan, though. With all of those things.:happysad:

Jung

???
Premium
I wouldn't say it "fixed" the problem, since you probably still have crap present on your system. It just stopped it from being annoying. Definitely scan and try to remove that garbage.

Disadvantaged-c

omfgwtfbbqsteakmix
Check your process list in the task manager and look for iexplorer.exe and if its there then stop that. Go to start,run and type in msconfig, go to the startup tab and look for iexeplorer.exe and make shure its un checked, that could be the problem, its a solution.

Jung

???
Premium
He already said it stopped, read the thread...

Setting the proxy to localhost fixed the pop up problem, he just needs to remove the malware now.

is there a way to mod XP and replace firefox for internet explorer? or are "explorer" and "iexplorer" dependant on each other?

if i had the skills, i'd make firefox replace internet explorer and call it "firefox XP"

Jung

???
Premium
slemaire195 said:
is there a way to mod XP and replace firefox for internet explorer? or are "explorer" and "iexplorer" dependant on each other?

if i had the skills, i'd make firefox replace internet explorer and call it "firefox XP"
Holy incoherency! I'll answer this based on what I _think_ you meant.

I'm not sure what you mean by replace IE with Firefox, but you can set any browser to the default browser in XP. In fact, if you use Firefox, it's probably already set that way. There's also nothing stopping you from removing the shortcuts to IE from the Desktop or Start Menu.

IE is an extension of Explorer; you can open up My Computer, type in google.com and be taken to the internet. There is really no way to completely remove IE from Windows, this was one reasons for the huge anti-trust case a while back. You can, however, make IE hard to access, or disable it's ability to connect to the internet. You can do what I suggested earlier and set a bogus proxy, but that causes a problem with Windows Update. If you did that, it would disable automatic updates, and you would need to manually unset the proxy when you're ready to grab updates.

You can "uninstall" IE from Add/Remove programs, but IE will still be on your machine, so it's kind of pointless.

You can also build custom XP install CDs with LitePC, you can choose to leave out any application or service, barring those required for operation. But, like I said earlier, without IE you will be unable to update your computer.

I don't know if that answered you questions, maybe if you can explain a bit more clearly I can answer them directly.