WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

fucking bastard!

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
motherfucker...

my laptop hard disk just went to shit in a sudden failure... I can't even understand how it failed...

ok here's what happened... I was on newgrounds and viewed a new animation and as soon as it ended the computer lagged down bad... the animation wouldn't close and then the whole system crashed...

I didn't think much of it at first because I've had crashes before.. so I rebooted... the system wont reboot.. either claims cant find disk or some non page fault retartedness... so I tried the windows disk to run a scan disk. cant find disk for scandisk.. as for reinstall the installer wont recognize the disk partition and if I try to repartition it goes nuts... the drive is for all purposes dead...

wtf...

Darklight said:
motherfucker...

my laptop hard disk just went to shit in a sudden failure... I can't even understand how it failed...

ok here's what happened... I was on newgrounds and viewed a new animation and as soon as it ended the computer lagged down bad... the animation wouldn't close and then the whole system crashed...

I didn't think much of it at first because I've had crashes before.. so I rebooted... the system wont reboot.. either claims cant find disk or some non page fault retartedness... so I tried the windows disk to run a scan disk. cant find disk for scandisk.. as for reinstall the installer wont recognize the disk partition and if I try to repartition it goes nuts... the drive is for all purposes dead...

wtf...
i think that might sum it up. your hard drive is dead. same kinda thing happened to my old harddrive. but then again, i'm not sure...

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
this much it seems.... im just glad i printed a programming project I was working on this morning.... otherwise I wouldn't have any history to work from..

Descent

Hella Constipated
Darklight said:
motherfucker...

wtf...
Yeah, I had a drive die like that while installing Mandrake Linux a couple years back. It was a 10GB Seagate.

I've also had my 20GB Hitachi Travelstar in my MP3 player die on me, I'm sending it in for replacement.

On top of that, Shannon came home from Britain, turned on her Dell XPS desktop, got a "PRIMARY DISK 0 NOT FOUND" error and heard drive marbles. Ouch.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
eh it was only a 30 gig drive anyway... all the mp3's I had on it are on my mp3 player so I can upload em back into a new drive... and I've seen much bigger drives for a good price now.. just ticks me off tho...

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
Sounds like a normal hardware failure...
They can be totally random. My Hitachi drive failed two weeks in, and never worked at full speed, but I used to have a Western Digital 1.5GB drive that is ten and a half years old now, and it's still kicking! My friend has it :D.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
They can be totally random.
Yeah, such is magnetic media...

I've had drives die in under two weeks, and drives last almost 10 years. That's why you should always buy retail drives with as much warranty as you can, as well as keep back ups of your important files.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
oddly im running on the failed drive as we speak.. its odd since last night it had multiple errors where it couldnt read.. or fix.. this morning it started up fine then crashed... now it works fine for now.. im still planning on getting a new drive anyway since the drive is small... but wtf...

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Darklight said:
oddly im running on the failed drive as we speak.. its odd since last night it had multiple errors where it couldnt read.. or fix.. this morning it started up fine then crashed... now it works fine for now.. im still planning on getting a new drive anyway since the drive is small... but wtf...
Well, hard drives die in a number of ways. A physical crash would be something like the heads making contact with the platters or the bearing going tits up. That kind of crash tends to make some noise as there is actually a physical problem.

Something like the heads being out of allignment will cause the drive to show up as not found randomly. You may not even know there's a problem till something like this happens.

Laptop drives take a lot of abuse as you tend to carry the unit around in bags. Laptops get bumped nudged and can be handled pretty roughly. Sounds pretty much normal like Jung said.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
yeah well as it seems the drive is all in all toast... it went back out and goes in and out and random... so I bought a new 60 gig drive to replace it... its formatting as we speak and doesnt appear to have any problems... now if I can just manage to get some of the files outta the old one...

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
place the old drive in a ziplock bag, place ziplock bag inside another ziplock bag, place bag in freezer, leave sit for a while, remove from freezer, plugin to system, place fan cooling old drive, copy vital files like crazy.