WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Fundamental Philosophy

breakology

Kiss my Converse
I love sponsering a good philosophical debate ... so the big question on the table today is one of the fundamental philosophical questions.

Is morality a bi-product of religon, or is religon a bi-product of morality?

It's your basic "which came first? The chicken or the egg?" question

The essence of the question is this ... would human beings live their lives, adhereing to any kind of moral or value system if religon did not exist? ... Or do we have morality in our society and in our lives as a result of the creation of the various religons throughout the world and living our lives according to the standards set forth by those religons?

PurgeParadox

God of Universe 420
"morality" and religion have nothing to do with each other IMO

all religion is is the idea to force people in small groups to conform to a single notion, or be banished from said circle

morality, on the other hand, is an unspecific idea of what is "right" and what is "wrong"

what one person finds to be "wrong" somone else can find "right". for example, i find its ok to gay. Somone else may find being gay "immoral" though this could be personal or religious reasons...

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
Immagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
Immagine all the people
Living for today
-the beatles

"Don't you see that when the cave men looked up at the stars and couldn't reach them, they figured they were groceries for someone greater than themselves."
-the one lawyer from Inherit the Wind

In early times religion came out of the unknown. Now I think that the ultimate morality is "right" and "wrong". I say if it causes no one to feel bad but causes anyone happiness, it is good. Now if only those stupid gray areas could just become black and white.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
PurgeParadox said:
all religion is is the idea to force people in small groups to conform to a single notion, or be banished from said circle
That is just the case in organized religon, but I do agree, the will of the masses poisens religon.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Religion follows morals but morals doesn't follow religion...