WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Gah! Oh shit! (Linux horror story inside)

Descent

Hella Constipated
I put Mandrake on my second computer today...holy shit.

I will never use Mandrake again.

After installing, LILO opened up. Sweet! I'm good to go!

Well, shit. My luck ran out. When I tried to boot Linux, it hanged.

Rebooted, then it worked.

I had to enable the root account (Because Mandrake is too easy on the n00bs). No sweat, I ran Mandrake 9 before, so I knew how to do it in Mandrake 10.

Well, I figure, "Okay! Time to get on the Webternet!" I install the Atmel WLAN chipset driver for my Belkin F5D6050 USB WLAN adapter.

I press <esc> while it's booting so Linux will tell me what is happening (Mandrake shields you from the kernel module loading). Ohhhh! Pretty! Alpha blending!

I says something like "Setting up eth0, blah blah blah." Well, that's fine, eth0 is my wired connection, and I'm on wireless.

It says the same thing for "WLAN." Well, it's taking a while, and then I realize that it can't seem to get my IP from my router's DHCP server.

Oh shit. Well, no Webternet now. So I look around for the WLAN config program. I can't find it.

I say, "Okay, I'll just reboot." Yep. You guessed it. LILO froze again. And again, and again.

Six reboots later, I say, "Fuck Mandrake! I'm putting on Gentoo!"

What a piece of shit. This is by far the worst OS I have ever used. Hell, even fucking WinCrash 98 set itself up better.

So in short, fuck MandrakeSoft for making yet another shitty product!

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Crazy stuff.. Heh, I checked out your thread history, your quite the techie :p

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Whats Mandrake? Is that a game?...Wow that does suck for you though whatever it is.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Mandrake Linux is an operating system.

Windows is one, too.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
jstager said:
I put Mandrake on my second computer today...holy shit.

I will never use Mandrake again.

After installing, LILO opened up. Sweet! I'm good to go!

Well, shit. My luck ran out. When I tried to boot Linux, it hanged.

Rebooted, then it worked.

I had to enable the root account (Because Mandrake is too easy on the n00bs). No sweat, I ran Mandrake 9 before, so I knew how to do it in Mandrake 10.

Well, I figure, "Okay! Time to get on the Webternet!" I install the Atmel WLAN chipset driver for my Belkin F5D6050 USB WLAN adapter.

I press <esc> while it's booting so Linux will tell me what is happening (Mandrake shields you from the kernel module loading). Ohhhh! Pretty! Alpha blending!

I says something like "Setting up eth0, blah blah blah." Well, that's fine, eth0 is my wired connection, and I'm on wireless.

It says the same thing for "WLAN." Well, it's taking a while, and then I realize that it can't seem to get my IP from my router's DHCP server.

Oh shit. Well, no Webternet now. So I look around for the WLAN config program. I can't find it.

I say, "Okay, I'll just reboot." Yep. You guessed it. LILO froze again. And again, and again.

Six reboots later, I say, "Fuck Mandrake! I'm putting on Gentoo!"

What a piece of shit. This is by far the worst OS I have ever used. Hell, even fucking WinCrash 98 set itself up better.

So in short, fuck MandrakeSoft for making yet another shitty product!
If you cannot even install Mandrake properly, which is a user-friendly OS; There is no way you would be able to install Gentoo, even with its wonderful installation guides. And in a week, you'll be on here bitching because your installation hangs at the LILO boot, because you didn't set up your fstab correctly. :thumbsdn:

Jung

???
Premium
jstager said:
LINUX HATES ME!
1) Did you try the ifconfig command? (learn how to use man(manual), ie man ifconfig)
2) Did you check in /etc/somehitng/network-config or something similar (I'm not familiar with Mandrake)
3) As Fire_Ze said; Did you google for help unfucking fstab?
4) You'll likely find gentoo extremely hard to install, I"m not saying you're stupid, just stating the truth.
5) You should take my advice and try Suse or even RedHat (cringe) before trying to jump in feet first. I doubt you'll be putting to use any of the advanced features that Gentoo or Debian have to offer, so why bother? Also, if you start with a Gentoo stage 3 tarball it's pretty much pointless. The whole benifit of gentoo is being able to compile your kernel from a stage 1 tarball or source.

tzedek

Original Member
mandrake blows anyway. personally, i would suggest suse for noobs. honestly, my favorite is collegelinux but nobody else seems to like it :( for future reference, stay away from mandrake, its a complete waste of time. mandrake isnt for linux noobs, its for people who wil never understand anything about linux (IMO)

and if you want the easiest install/setup ever check out mepis.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
Linspire (formally Lindows) started out as such a good Idea .... I visited the site few months ago to see how it was developing, and what a crock of shit it turned it to.

I still stand by debian, it's by far the most stable version of linux I have used (next to slackware)

tzedek

Original Member
breakology said:
Linspire (formally Lindows) started out as such a good Idea .... I visited the site few months ago to see how it was developing, and what a crock of shit it turned it to.

I still stand by debian, it's by far the most stable version of linux I have used (next to slackware)
is that the click n run shit? you have to pay for each program you use? haha what a fucking joke.

Jung

???
Premium
breakology said:
Linspire (formally Lindows)
tzedek said:
haha what a fucking joke.
Exactly! They took a debian kernel and crippled it, removing all dev tools and most of the advanced features. Sure, you can hack apt to point to normal deb repositories, but why? Lindows always was a piece of shit and it always will be. Taking a free opensource (workstation)OS and finding a loop hole into charging for it is pretty weak imo. :rolleyes:

L33ad

Hoodrat
I've moved away from Linux entirely. I'm now running a system on Sun Solaris 8, which is pure UNIX. It runs great, I must say.

However, if I had to comment on Mandrake, I'd have to say it's not the greatest distribution in the world. Far less than what they make it out to be on their site.

Gentoo is great, if you don't mind taking an hour and learning how to set it up. The only drawback to Gentoo is the packaging system. I hate it. You have to compile everything yourself, so if you want a GUI you're going to be stuck compiling for three days. I hear Slackware Linux is good, I haven't looked into it yet. Debian is good for most.

Jung

???
Premium
L33ad said:
The only drawback to Gentoo is the packaging system. I hate it. You have to compile everything yourself, so if you want a GUI you're going to be stuck compiling for three days.
What are you talking about? Gentoo has a portage system (emerge), just like debian's apt and BSD's port.

Also, I agree that Solaris is a brilliant OS, but it's not really for home or workstation use. I've used it extensively in the work place and I love it, but I can't see putting up with such a lack or supporting software at home.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I've used CollegeLinux before. Great OS. I think I am going to put that on later today.

Well, lemme put it this way...

At the bootloader, there is a little status bar. When it reaches full, then it will boot.

Well, the little fucker hangs at 10%. I'm not too sure if it's FSTAB, since Linux refuses to even start.

Well, I'm going to put CollegeLinux on. Fuck Mandrake, it sucks balls.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
HEY GUYS!!!!!....Windows Xp is soo l33t, they have this kewl messenger service...so i can talk to all my buddies on the net....i totally pwn them in CS...Linux is 4 n00bs...XP rawks!!!1111!!

Jung

???
Premium
jstager said:
At the bootloader, there is a little status bar. When it reaches full, then it will boot.Well, the little fucker hangs at 10%. I'm not too sure if it's FSTAB, since Linux refuses to even start.Well, I'm going to put CollegeLinux on. Fuck Mandrake, it sucks balls.
Failsafe mode! (Command promp) There is a lot that can be fixed will only shell acess. I run the X at home, but i NEVER use them it on servers, it's pointless. There isn't one single thing I would need to do in linux that I can't accomplish via command line. This of course excludes painting pictures or playing games, I did say NEED though.

tzedek

Original Member
jstager said:
Well, I'm going to put CollegeLinux on. Fuck Mandrake, it sucks balls.

sweet, i love collegelinux. too bad the latest release is almost 1 year old. :(

Descent

Hella Constipated
One year old?

Fudge it.

What is the kernel module version? If it's old, can I upgrade the kernel?