WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Game restarts computer

gummi_

Tenderony
Hey

Well, like the title says, i have a game that restarts my computer.

Im sure you all know the game, Counter-Strike. Just Cs, not Cs:Source. Well, after around 15-20 minutes of playing, it basically... restarts my computer.

Ive tried reinstalling different drivers for my video card, as suggested a few times in searches on google. Ive tried adjusting my monitors refresh rate as someone had told me, and still nothing.

Im at a loss as to how to fix it, i cant find any answers other than the driver issue which ive tried already.

Anybody who may have some idea on how to fix this? Its pretty frustrating.

The specs of my calculator are...

P3 550Mhz
Windows 2000 (latest sevice pack or whatever it is)
GeForce 4 MX440 with 71.89 drivers (downgraded from the latest drivers as per advice from a forum)

If any other information is needed, just ask. As you can see from my specs, replies such as 'get Source' or 'play a different game' arn't much use. Upgrading is also not an option. I like this game to a degree and i play it when im bored, as such i dislike having to wait for my computer to restart every 15 minutes.

Thanks everyone :)

**Ill get back to you with the temps and memtest stuff, might take me a while with school. The power supply shouldnt be a problem, to my knowledge, as we had it replaced a while ago and it is more powerful than the old one (which ran Cs just fine), however ill check if i find some time.**

Jung

???
Premium
1) What are you temps during gaming, under load and at idle? Download Motherboard Monitor.

2) Download and run Memtest or Memtest86+.

3) What kind of power supply do you have?

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
First thing you need to do is turn off "reboot on blue-screen" to see what the actual error is. I'm not exactly sure where this is at on Win2K, but give this a go: Control Panel, System, Open/Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery - Settings, System Failure - disable Automatically restart.

Once that is configured, instead of rebooting, you should now see a BSOD with an exact error message. When it happens, make note of what it is and then google for it to see likely causes and resolutions.

jamesp

In Memory...
Im with jung on this one, check your temps while you are idle, then check your temp after CS restarts your computer, if there is any significant increase in temp, try getting a new CPU cooling system.

Descent

Hella Constipated
jamesp said:
Im with jung on this one, check your temps while you are idle, then check your temp after CS restarts your computer, if there is any significant increase in temp, try getting a new CPU cooling system.
That may be hard...That P3 sounds like a Slot 1 variant to me.

http://store.yahoo.com/outletpc/c1713.html

Just to put things in perspective, that's the best cooler I could find. And it looks like crap.

I've never heard of a P3-550 for the Socket 370 Platform. If she does have that, for some bizzarre reason, or perhaps a Celeron 550 that is being seen by the BIOS incorrectly, she should check out the Zalman CNPS3100+. I run one and personally I think it's fantastic.