WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe Gangster rap is a conspiracy by the music industry and the prison industrial complex to fill prisons

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
From an anonymous letter...

"Hello,

After more than 20 years, I've finally decided to tell the world what I witnessed in 1991, which I believe was one of the biggest turning point in popular music, and ultimately American society. I have struggled for a long time weighing the pros and cons of making this story public as I was reluctant to implicate the individuals who were present that day. So I've simply decided to leave out names and all the details that may risk my personal well being and that of those who were, like me, dragged into something they weren't ready for.

Between the late 80's and early 90’s, I was what you may call a “decision maker” with one of the more established company in the music industry. I came from Europe in the early 80’s and quickly established myself in the business. The industry was different back then. Since technology and media weren’t accessible to people like they are today, the industry had more control over the public and had the means to influence them anyway it wanted. This may explain why in early 1991, I was invited to attend a closed door meeting with a small group of music business insiders to discuss rap music’s new direction. Little did I know that we would be asked to participate in one of the most unethical and destructive business practice I’ve ever seen."

Read More...

----------

Wow. I would not be surprised at all if that man was 100% honest.

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
Its not altogether unbelievable, but something about this story that I can't place cries false.

It reads too much like a bad movie on BET. I also don't understand why it took so long. I guess the fear and all, but if you're some big music industry guy, couldn't you find some way to deal with this situation that would keep you safe?

Like I said, I think that the premise is believable but this particular story doesn't have enough detail to keep me believing it.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Loki-In-A-Box

johnyfnglaw

Banned - What an Asshat!
That would make sense if we didn't spend so much time and money cutting rates of reoffending. Where I work alone we have a furniture shop, a welding shop, a fiberglass shop,, Cisco training, cad training, and ged classes. If we wanted them to stay down why all that expense?

• 1Agree

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
That would make sense if we didn't spend so much time and money cutting rates of reoffending. Where I work alone we have a furniture shop, a welding shop, a fiberglass shop,, Cisco training, cad training, and ged classes. If we wanted them to stay down why all that expense?
State and federal funding. Pretty simple really.

• 1Agree

timotheus

Social Refugee
So does this mean that the sagging pants is just to get people use to wearing ill-fitting clothes.

Jugular

volatile
Because now we have them working for us, instead of merely sitting in a cell.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if all that were true. Rap is interesting to me precisely because of its carnal, underground nature.

johnyfnglaw

Banned - What an Asshat!
Because now we have them working for us, instead of merely sitting in a cell.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if all that were true. Rap is interesting to me precisely because of its carnal, underground nature.
For the most part these are vocational classes, they are not for profit. They are designed to give inmates a skill on the outside so they have something to do other than putting kids in their mouths.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
This story may or may not be true, I wouldn't bet money either way, however what to me is definitely true is that music industry executives have power over what will be popular. They create a hype, they fabricate demand. The same thing goes for fashion and other things (such as the cultural demand for diamond wedding rings which is 100% industry fabricated). So if they really wanted to make a genre popular, such as gangsta rap, they could easily pull it off.

• 1Agree
Reactions: RebelBuddha

53V3N

The slow blade penetrates the shield.
Premium
lol @ changing the names so he doesn't implicate himself (or anyone else) and then stating he (and everyone else) had to sign a non-disclosure.

Like an industry that it is so powerful that it can change the destiny of a generation couldn't track down one guy out of what, 30 or so attendees did he say?

I like the X-Files/Illuminati type characters that "didn't dress like the rest of us industry folk".

Good stuff.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
To me, this reads more like a parody on what the modern Rap industry has become. That is, a fictional account that underscores the manipulation of the genre and culture by those with power and affluence, warping it into a thing that it never had been before, representing ideals it was never supposed to be about.

Charles Mudede writes on this phenomenon extensively.
Your brain gives me a broner

EvilDadII

"Squeaky" clean
So who do I gotta kill to get a job?

• 1LOL
Reactions: jujubee

EvilDadII

"Squeaky" clean
Back on topic, I can so visualize that whole meeting scene in a Peter Sellers film.

I've been to similar meetings in the 90's. They were selling water filters.

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
That's hilarious!, So Bilderberg for a common everyday occurence--media being manipulated by the mogul?:D

EvilDadII

"Squeaky" clean
Like an industry that it is so powerful that it can change the destiny of a generation couldn't track down one guy out of what, 30 or so attendees did he say?
Well actually they would only have to sort out who out of the 4 people kicked out of the meeting had come from Europe in the 80's. I'm of the opinion that this was written by a college kid for a creative writing class. However I did find it strange that there were blatant grammar errors in the first few paragraphs. Unless of course the kid was from Howard University.