WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Gas Prices Going up; any alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesp

In Memory...
Gas Prices Going up; any alternatives? (shit up version thanx kilo)

Man, before too long the American public is going to be faced with a big desicion, either eat or buy gas. Right now the national average is $2.44 per gallon, and is expected to go up another 40% to 50% in the next two months. But believe it or not the gas companies aren't doing anything wrong. If they spent billions of dollars to build more refineries and ease the shortage they would never make their money back, and we would be in a whole world of shit if the gas companies went bankrupt (though I don't think the government would let this happen). So it seems to me that the only way to fix this quandry is to find alternative forms of transportation.

The Electric Car: An Alternative Design

Me and my uncle (An electrical/computer engineering BS) were discussing a new design for an electric car. Our design revolves around four 50 hp multiple phase electric motors. The multiple phase motors are a whole hell of a lot more efficient than regular motors, thus decreasing our need for a large clumsy recharging system. Though, of course, we do need a recharging system. We have based our recharging system on one already in use. This system (forgot what its called) recharges the system by utilizing the braking system. Everytime you depress the brake you expell kinetic and heat energy, well we just use the kinetic and heat energies to recharge the batteries, before the energy is fed through the capacitors to increase the electrical potential. Aside from this poor explanation of the electrical system, we are designing a very aerodynamic body to decrease drag, and (because of our lack of complicated control system to reduce the initial takeoff speed) hold the car to the ground. Keep in mind that this car is going to have a whole crap load of speed immediately upon pressing the throttle.

This is just our basic idea, we are refining it every day, so if you have any suggestions or ideas, post away.

PS: If you would like to see diagrams, just say so, and I will try to scan some of our blueprints to further convey the idea.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
I think bicycles are great alternatives.

But yes, electric is the way to go.

They have gas/electric hybrids now but I think they're super expensive.

Sorry don't know enough to talk shop with you but you have my support.

jamesp

In Memory...
BklynCannonball said:
I think bicycles are great alternatives.

But yes, electric is the way to go.

They have gas/electric hybrids now but I think they're super expensive.

Sorry don't know enough to talk shop with you but you have my support.
Thanks for the support, but any ideas are welcome.

FlipTheState said:
I'm waiting for the teleporter technology promised in Star Trek......
Believe it or not scientists and researchers have already 'teleported' a photon from one side of a laboratory to another via the obscure and dificult to understand theory of Entanglment. Though this is a far cry from being able to 'teleport' humans, it is pretty incredible.

jamesp said:
Believe it or not scientists and researchers have already 'teleported' a photon from one side of a laboratory to another via the obscure and dificult to understand theory of Entanglment. Though this is a far cry from being able to 'teleport' humans, it is pretty incredible.
That's pretty cool, actually; I didn't know that. Now I have to Google it.

jamesp

In Memory...
FlipTheState said:
That's pretty cool, actually; I didn't know that. Now I have to Google it.
Yeah, its really interesting. Try googling Quantum Teleportation.

Jung

???
Premium
I'll just sit back and wait for Slashdot to save us from the evils of ©orporate America.

jamesp

In Memory...
C'mon jung, people like us can change the world! ....and make loads of money doing it. You know you wanna help....

Jung

???
Premium
I will have my influence on the world when I figure out how to write a program that allows you to punch someone in the face over the internet. You nerds can have your hippy cars. :happysad:

jamesp

In Memory...
junglizm said:
I will have my influence on the world when I figure out how to write a program that allows you to punch someone in the face over the internet. You nerds can have your hippy cars. :happysad:
LMFAO! Repped for effort!

junglizm said:
Maybe not the 'world' per se...but at least you'll influence IT departments on a global scale.
"I'm sorry, ma'am...could you lean a little closer to the screen?"
Stupid fucking end users. :)

Jung

???
Premium
FlipTheState said:
Maybe not the 'world' per se...but at least you'll influence IT departments on a global scale.
And WTF.com!
Stupid fucking end users.
Lusers

Thank god I don't have to deal with them.

junglizm said:
And WTF.com!
Lusers

Thank god I don't have to deal with them.
Not to hijack the thread, but congratulations on never having to deal with them. I run a tier 3 support group and we still have to talk to them. Customer Service is just as stupid... :mfinger:

Ok, carry on with Alternative Fuels.... :)

jamesp

In Memory...
FlipTheState said:
(word removed)to (asshat) hijack the thread, but congratulations on never having to deal with them. I run a tier 3 support group and we still have to talk to them. Customer Service is just as stupid... :mfinger:

Ok, carry on with Alternative Fuels.... :)
Okay, Im looking up an alternative engine design called Quasiturbine Stirling Engine (sterling). I don't think I understand it well enough to type about it, but soon enough....google it.

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
I'll just sit back and wait for Slashdot to save us from the evils of ©orporate America.
Oh my God, I had those FUD motherfuckers.

"This could kill Linux for the 500th time as we know it."

You know what I think we should use? Piss. It's readily available, expendable, and reusable. Why couldn't we just make urea powered cars? If not that, smegma would be a good second choice, I heard they already created a replica of the Intel 4040 microprocessor using the electrical conductivity properties of the smegz. Unfortunately it's the size of a coffee table and smells like cheese during the POST sequence.

Jung

???
Premium
I remembered this /. post from a while back.

Politicians and automakers say a car that can both reduce greenhouse gases and free America from its reliance on foreign oil is years or even decades away. Ron Gremban says such a car is parked in his garage. It looks like a typical Toyota Prius hybrid, but in the trunk sits an 80-miles-per-gallon secret -- a stack of 18 brick-sized batteries that boosts the car's high mileage with an extra electrical charge so it can burn even less fuel. Gremban, an electrical engineer and committed environmentalist, spent several months and $3,000 tinkering with his car."
I think the hybrid Hydrogen/petrol cars are a pretty good alternative for right now. Although I do realize the need for alternative fuel, the technology just isn't there right now. Sadly, it's going to be hard to get funding for these projects, what with "Big Oil" having hooks into such a large part of our government and industry.

For those interested, here is an article on hybrids from Howstuffworks.com.

jamesp

In Memory...
junglizm said:
I remembered this /. post from a while back.

I think the hybrid Hydrogen/petrol cars are a pretty good alternative for right now. Although I do realize the need for alternative fuel, the technology just isn't there right now. Sadly, it's going to be hard to get funding for these projects, what with "Big Oil" having hooks into such a large part of our government and industry.

For those interested, here is an article on hybrids from Howstuffworks.com.
Im not really talking about hybrids (right now). Im talking about a complete alternative to gasoline.

Jung

???
Premium
jamesp said:
Im not really talking about hybrids (right now). Im talking about a complete alternative to gasoline.
I know, but that's all we have right now.
Descent said:
Oh my God, I had those FUD motherfuckers.

"This could kill Linux for the 500th time as we know it."
I still like and read Slashdot, but I hardly read more than the article. The forum is full of Linux trolls, open source zealots and fanboys of every nature. Slashdot is a joke in a lot of people's eyes today, sadly. Apparently, self moderation isn't as effective and Taco would have you believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.