WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Gay Marriage... The BIG picture

Hello all. Hopefully I'm not crossing any lines by opening this up. If I am I ask that the administrators remove this thread immediately.

I had an interesting fight with someone today. They are adamantly opposed to the new legislation which allows same sex marriage. Over the last little while I've had this discussion a lot. I've received numerous e-mail petitions in an attempt to say me towards lobbying to have the law revoked. I've heard arguments from a religious, biological, even sociological standpoint. I know that people here tend to be extremely opinionated so I ask you. Where do you stand? More importantly why? I want to know. Hell, some of you probably don’t even care. Whatever you think... post it. If we're going to be controversial, lets really start something. i only ask one thing... NO personal attacks. Argue the points, not the person.

Thanks

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
I personally think its the term Marriage that bothers people.. marriage had a definition.. then people changed what it meant... some feel that it would cheapen the supposed sanctity of marriage... I feel that they need some sort of legal unionship or someshit... but they need divorce too... because as it stands right now in MI.. a same sex couple can get bennies from some businesses like GM... but a man that has lived with a woman for years.. and chooses not to get married cannot get her covered under his plan...
so it either needs to happen or not... but this half way shit doesn't appear fair either...

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
Reflux_Wyrm said:
Hello all. Hopefully I'm not crossing any lines by opening this up. If I am I ask that the administrators remove this thread immediately.

I had an interesting fight with someone today. They are adamantly opposed to the new legislation which allows same sex marriage. Over the last little while I've had this discussion a lot. I've received numerous e-mail petitions in an attempt to say me towards lobbying to have the law revoked. I've heard arguments from a religious, biological, even sociological standpoint. I know that people here tend to be extremely opinionated so I ask you. Where do you stand? More importantly why? I want to know. Hell, some of you probably don’t even care. Whatever you think... post it. If we're going to be controversial, lets really start something. i only ask one thing... NO personal attacks. Argue the points, not the person.

Thanks
Already been covered! CLIKY! and yet there is still more!

switch_scribe

dolor ex fides
I always thought that the best part about being gay would be that no one could pressure you into getting married, but, oh well. People want to get married and spend the rest of their lives together, sure give it a shot.

Anyway - as soon as they started doing marriages by the Justice of the Peace, it became a secular matter, not religious. And since it is not illegal to be gay, gay marriage should also be legal. If certain religious institutions don't want to grant marriages to gay people, that's their perogative. If straight people can have secular, legal marriages, so should gays. Give them the right to be as miserable as everyone else.

Yeah, I hear it from all over the place. Marriage is originally a religious belief. Well you can get married no matter what faith you are these days. Biological? Who would choose to be gay, seeing how socially unacceptable society makes it look sometimes? I wouldn't walk into ostracization like that unless I knew for certain. And people display traits earlier than you might think.

I am 100% in favor of gay marriage.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
I've heard the most powerfull opponent of gay marriages in America isn't religious groups, but insurance companies. If gay marriage is legalized, then they would have to provide family benefits to gay people employed by businesses that provide their workers with benefits. I haven't researched it heavily, but it's what I've heard.

My position: I define marriage as formalized monogomous (unless they have an arrangement) relationship between 2 people. The dogmas of religions and wishes of insurance companies should have bearing.

Gay marriage is right ina sense and not right in a sense according to me. PEople being gay is not a problem in my mind at all they like what they like and no one can change that. But the gay marriage thing is going a little far out there i think. I personally think they should keep it the way it is. Gay marriage just seems "Not right" In my mind. Raising kids will see this. Not saying that its wrong or that it's something against in but it could have a large affect on society. ALot of people out there today fear and hate homosexual's and with the mariage thing it would make them even more out of line. Like I said I have nothing against Gay marriage or even gay people in general but I think it should just be kept the way it is.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
I still dont know why this is an issue. This is clearly another attempt by the 'Right' to try and legislate morals or values in our supposedly secular government. I could use every cliche in the book but the awful truth is....it doesnt matter.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
oh what's the big friggin deal? you should be allowed (if you want) to marry the stick of butter in your frig...nonsensicle but who friggin cares?

see, i don't place as much weight on the concept of marriage as someone who really "believes" in it. i bottom line it as being a financial transaction, gay, straight or dairy products.

Bibas

That's Illogical.
Yeah, 'cause see - if two people love each other, then why the fuck shouldn't they be allowed to marry ? I mean...they say, that being gay is a "sin". Well, fuck me, so what'll happen to gay people after death ? I mean - God is the ultimate judge, and He will deciede, whether someone have sinned, or not.
And if He will say, that the guy(gay guy) is guilty, just because of loving another person(read : another guy) ? Then in my opinion, He's fucked up.

Once, i asked a priest about it, and he didn't gave me a clear answer. He was babling things like :
"Uhh..umm, I are...uhh...i mean...could we talk about this later ?"

It's not that i really care about it so much, but i care about one thing : people should be allowed to love, and marry who they only want. Even if it will be their dog, or hamster.

And it's really just a matter of time, before the gay marriage will be a common thing.

That's just my opinion...do what the fuck you want...

Bibas said:
Yeah, 'cause see - if two people love each other, then why the fuck shouldn't they be allowed to marry ? I mean...they say, that being gay is a "sin". Well, fuck me, so what'll happen to gay people after death ? I mean - God is the ultimate judge, and He will deciede, whether someone have sinned, or not.
And if He will say, that the guy(gay guy) is guilty, just because of loving another person(read : another guy) ? Then in my opinion, He's fucked up.

Once, i asked a priest about it, and he didn't gave me a clear answer. He was babling things like :
"Uhh..umm, I are...uhh...i mean...could we talk about this later ?"

It's not that i really care about it so much, but i care about one thing : people should be allowed to love, and marry who they only want. Even if it will be their dog, or hamster.

And it's really just a matter of time, before the gay marriage will be a common thing.

That's just my opinion...do what the fuck you want...
The animal thing is too far. There's no definite way to tell if the animal is willing.

Oh yeah, I really don't care, so just let them marry.

PatticusRex

Powdered Toast Man
Gay and lesbian couples should be allowed to marry. If they wish to spend their lives with each other under marrage, why shouldn't they? It is the couples' business, not the public's.

Liah

Awake but dreaming
A couple of years ago when the issue of same sex marriages was brought up and I found out about it, I had no clue what to think. At first I did not think that it was right. However, this was, like I said, at least 3 years ago. Since then, I've met some awesome people who were gay. They were just the same as you and I. However, they were discriminated against because they did not do the "normal" thing - they were interested in people of the same sex. Just by talking to those people i relized that they should have the exact same rights as we do. I honestly don't see why some people have problems with that. However, it was mentioned to me earlyer this year that people who are homophobic tend to be homosexual. I'm not saying that it is true, but that it has been noticed over the years by someone older, and a hell of a lot smarter than me. Saying that homosexuals cannot marry each other is, in a way, the same as saying that two people who get off to the same things shouldn't marry...well close enough to that anyway :p . So basically...let them marry each other. It's their life and they are basically the same as you and I.

Bibas

That's Illogical.
MagicHobo said:
The animal thing is too far. There's no definite way to tell if the animal is willing.
I gave that example, just to underline the fact, that a human being, should be allowed to marry anyone he/she/it want.

I guess noone will really want to marry an animal :rolleyes:

Stop taking things so seriously...

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Gay marriage should be a non-issue. Simply put, there's no logical argument against it.

I think that there shouldn't be gay marriage. I also think there shouldn't be straight marriage. If you ask me, civil unions for everyone. That would be a hell of a lot simpler.

Thanks folks. I appreciate the comments. I'm pleasantly surprised that no one was adimently against it. even those who had personal adversions to the act admitted that it was personal. I've quite impressed. My appologies for not realizing this was a topic before. You have to take pity... I'm new here.

I dont agree with gays or gay marriage but i think they should be able 2 marry if they want.