WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

geek/code tattoos

Jung

???
Premium
A tattoo of an obfuscated Hello World program? Why?

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
They say that people get tatoos of things that mean something to them. My RDC in bootcamp has a tatoo of his baby girs feet on his back, and one kid had the state of texas on bolth wrists. A buddy of mine has "YOUR NAME" tatooed on his ass, and this chick in A school had a pic of an ant pushing a lawnmower 3 inches below her bellybutton:p.

I don't have any tatoos, but I have nothing against them, except for the hate ones. I gess I don't have anything that I feel strongly enough about.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
junglizm said:
A tattoo of an obfuscated Hello World program? Why?
any tattoo, why?

i guess he likes it.

i have an infinity symbol, which was wishful thinking in extremis..

I don't get tattoos that say things... expecially that one! That just looks like totall nonsence to me. Pictures, i understand - kinda. A tattoo is something you have to live with forever. Who'd want THAT on their arm forever? That's gonna look sooo great when the guy's 80... :happysad:

Jung

???
Premium
Jessica43999 said:
That just looks like totall nonsence to me.
Well that's pretty obvious, since you don't understand the C language... It's not nonsense; it's a logical program, I understand it. The code is obfuscated though, and I don't understand the point in all of that.
Who'd want THAT on their arm forever?
Obviously the guy who got it did. :happysad:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Jessica43999 said:
That's gonna look sooo great when the guy's 80... :happysad:
not to mention it will be blurred and merged by then.. it will either look like noodles or he will cover it up with a real tattoo, like a viking pirate lion monster.. with kanji !!!

kanji sucks biggest of all tattoos, my wife has kanji in her bush, means 'i don't speak japanese' or something probably.. i keep telling/asking her to get a viking pirate lion monster instead.. no go..

tattoos are cool, for the first week.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
from the link said:
This particular piece of code was the very first IOCCC entry received in the contest.

What significance does this tattoo have (to you)?
  • The program was written in 1984, the year my family got our first computer (a Commodore Vic 20), when I was 7.
  • The program was written in 1984, the title year of George Orwell's classic dystopian novel.
  • The program is written in C, the first "high level" language I learned (on an Amiga).
  • The program is in "obfuscated" code, that is, what it does is not readily apparent. This idea of hidden meaning appeals to me greatly. In addition it switches around read and write functions in a delightfully ambiguous fashion.
  • The program is a version of "Hello, World", the first program people learn in most every language, as it was for me. Ever since a young age I have used this expression to test output from most of my programs and on websites and the like as a first post.
  • The authorship of the code is a mystery or a "deathbed secret", adding an intrigue to the story surrounding it.
  • The code ends in an emoticon AKA a smiley, ;} . Which I have been (over)using in writing ever since I first went online on BBSes in the early 90s.
  • The second line has the lament, "o, world!".
It appears that he has answered the questions about why.

Jung

???
Premium
This particular piece of code was the very first IOCCC entry received in the contest.
There are contest for shitty code? Who would've thought...

Code like that is what makes developers cry. Some bored programmer's joke turns into the next guy's headache.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
junglizm said:
There are contest for shitty code? Who would've thought...

Code like that is what makes developers cry. Some bored programmer's joke turns into the next guy's headache.
or tattoo ;)

Jung

???
Premium
I guess I could see how someone would think obfuscated code is clever, but for anyone other than a hobbyist, it's called bad code. And bad code, although sometimes clever, is never good.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
junglizm said:
I guess I could see how someone would think obfuscated code is clever, but for anyone other than a hobbyist, it's called bad code. And bad code, although sometimes clever, is never good.
i'm with you.. my original post of this included the smiley :eek: .. representing 'is this guy nuts?'

this belongs on www.badtattoos.com

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Since I had absolutely no idea what obsfuscated meant, I googled it and got a wiki on it.

There are also programs known as obfuscators that may operate on source code, object code, or both, for the purpose of deterring reverse engineering.

Uses for obfuscation

Makes reverse engineering more difficult
  • Even when a language is compiled to an executable or bytecode file, someone may choose to run a decompiler which converts these files back into human-readable form (generally without comments). This could help them understand whatever lies hidden within the source code, against the wishes of the code's creator. Obfuscation serves to increase the difficulty of decompilation, usually forcing someone who wants that information to use more costly forms of reverse engineering.

However, some parts of language obfuscation can be easily defeated (reverse engineered). For example, some websites obscure their JavaScripts so as to prevent code copying and/or modification. This can be defeated quickly by viewing the DOM of the page. This can enable one to see the JavaScript code, removing some of the confusion, but scrambled variable names still can make the code extremely hard to understand.

Minimizes code size
  • Obfuscation usually breaks down structures which make programs modular and maintainable. This has the pleasant side-effect of reducing code size in many cases. For example, in dynamic languages that incorporate a symbol table with the executable code, simple variable renaming can save a great deal of space in the resulting code footprint. This is a crucial consideration if code size must be kept to a minimum, as with code that must be sent over a network or embedded into a small device.

Concealment of evidence
  • Spammers frequently use obfuscated JavaScript or HTML code in spam messages. The obfuscated message, when displayed by an HTML-capable e-mail client, appears as a reasonably normal message -- albeit with obnoxious JavaScript behaviors such as spawning pop-up windows. However, when the source is viewed, the obfuscations make it far more difficult for investigators to discern where the links go, or what the JavaScript code does.

Dealers in spamming software have sold JavaScript obfuscators for the purpose of confounding investigators. Some of the techniques use JavaScript's dynamic nature -- a piece of code is stored as an encrypted string, which is decrypted and evaluated. This may be done several times. Other techniques include insertion of dummy code, as well as dummy HTML links to legitimate pages.
Of course there are an equal, if not greater, amount of disadvantages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obfuscated_code

after looking at it, i'm kinda supprised jung, max, james, hmm those are the only names that come to me, don't have comp language totooed on them. my friend wants to get an arm band written i think its elf on the ring in LOTR. i think it would look cool. that tat at the top looks ok, maybe he shoulda banded it.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i'm just suprised nobody here has apple tattoos or half-life tattoos..
i've seen a lot of them IRL..
or maybe nobody is owning up to it?

i think they aren't owning up to it.
james probably does, he loves his code and i've watched them get all hot and bothered in chat over coding and whatever the other thingys are called.

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
original tattoos :rolleyes:
well whatever twinks their joint :happysad:
I have a dragon on my arm and it doesnt mean a fucking thing

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
I have a celtic mythos dragon on my arm. I got it because part of the myth was how much they loved to fuck with humans.

I want to get another tattoo, probably a dragon holding a pi symbol in its talon. Can't decide on eastern or western style dragon though. Eastern will go better on my forearm, but western is more fantastical. hmm...