WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

GeForce FX 6800 OC GT

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
I'm thinking about buying one (and im not buying a raedeon because i dont have the money to; otherwise i would...so if you flame you have a small penis.)

Does anyone have an OC or an OC GT that can give some feed back on the performance? I'm really not looking to spend alot of money and just wondering if the GT is really worth it considering both cards kick ass anyway. Thanks for any response.

Descent

Hella Constipated
DO NOT get an Ultra. The GT's performance difference is very small, by about 5-6 frames per second. Just about all of them OC to Ultra speeds without any extra cooling, so go for it!

Also, the X800 Pro costs about the same amount, and delivers better performance. With some special drivers, 50% of them will softmod into X800XT's, so frag away!

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
Ya, that was why I posted in the first place really.

Though people really rave about the Ultra, I check out benchmarks and there isnt really a huge difference between it and the OC GT. Plus, like you said, you can OC it anyway to perform like the Ultra with a little extra cooling and proper power supply. Plus, who wants to buy a whole new fucking motherboard with PCI Express? (which doesnt really increase performance; in fact some results show it to perform slower than PCI or AGP) I know I sure as hell don't. Does anyone have an X800 that can comment on it's performance or stability?

Descent

Hella Constipated
I knew a person who had one. ATI's drivers are top notch, and updated monthly. The card also eats up no less power than an old 9700/9800, and runs fairly cool.

I have a 9700 Pro. I have used ATI's and nVidia's latest drivers, and I can say wholehartedly that ATI's drivers have less issues, and are more stable. The all new Catalyst Control Center kicks ass, too.

The X800's are the fastest cards available for the Source engine, which is Valve's new next-gen engine. Also, the old Doom 3 benchmarks you see for this card saying that it is "way behind the nVidia" are no longer valid. Ever since the Catalyst 4.9 beta drivers have been out, OpenGL performance has been right on par with nVidia. I can run Doom 3 at a constant 60 fps on my 9700 with detail levels at medium.

The new ATI 4.10 (Yes, those are newer than the 4.9's) really sped up all my games, as just about all their new driver releases do.

If you go ATI, you will be getting many hidden performance gains over your card's lifetime due to the superior drivers. Every month, you get a little performance boost. After a year, it all adds up, and you have much less of a reason to upgrade.