WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Gerber Baby Food Found Laced with Ricin in Calif.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - At least one jar of Gerber baby food sold in Southern California was found to have been contaminated with non-lethal amounts of the poison ricin, authorities said on Wednesday.

In two separate incidents, parents in Irvine, California discovered notes inside jars of Gerber banana yogurt warning that the food was contaminated, an FBI spokeswoman said.

The FBI did not specify how many jars of food tested positive for the potentially fatal poison. The FBI spokeswoman said no one had been arrested in the case.

Local television news reported that police planned to name a "person of interest" at a news conference set for 3 p.m. PDT (6 p.m. EDT).

A Gerber spokesman was not immediately available for comment. Gerber Products Company is a unit of pharmaceutical giant Novartis AG.NVS.N> .

On May 31, a couple brought their 9-month-old girl to an Irvine hospital after she ate from a jar that contained the first note, police said.

Three weeks later, an Irvine man called police to report finding a similar note inside a jar of Gerber banana yogurt that he had been feeding his 1-year-old son. Neither child was harmed by the food, police said.

Both notes also mentioned an Irvine police officer, but authorities were unsure whether the person who tampered with the baby food meant to retaliate against the officer.

Careful when feeding the baby in CA... Yikes!

Pachyderm

I really did.
This is insane. People get the wrong idea about California by these reports... But then again, I don't really like it here... razor blades on play grounds, ricin in baby food, what's next? MacDonald's Happy Meals not containing real meat?? That'll be the day.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
holy shit...i seriously ate some baby food like four days ago...mmmmm...banana anyways why try to kill babies with food...that takes way too much planning...run into a day care center thats the way i do it...splat!! baby soup!

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
It was most likely thr republicans that did it. Then they can justify another war with some other country. Just another theory in the mix.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
MaxPower said:
It was most likely thr republicans that did it. Then they can justify another war with some other country. Just another theory in the mix.
Think it's just some nutjob with an obsession for that cop. Problem is that he was able to make a crude ricin...

morelos

lexicon incognito
hold the fuck on. here's my guess:

some stupid chemist / parent was dicking with his kid's formula and found the chemical signature of ricin in the shit, so he got all alarmist and went stuffing little notes into the jars. "gahhh be afraid of this product i'm einstein."

as cyanide is an accidental by-product of letting almonds sit (and is in "natural almond flavors"), ricin is an accidental by-product of letting soybeans sit (and -- guess what -- is in "natural soy flavors").

these poisons are made out to be way fucking worse, and way more toxic than they are.

BakEd13

4:20 Celebrater
Pachyderm said:
This is insane. People get the wrong idea about California by these reports... But then again, I don't really like it here... razor blades on play grounds, ricin in baby food, what's next? MacDonald's Happy Meals not containing real meat?? That'll be the day.
You mean you think McDonalds hamburgers already use real meat? Bwahahaha...................

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Cyanide is used by some coffe manufacturers to make Decaf. There are small trace ammounts in it.