WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Getting this piece of shit going again....

Alright, I dusted off my computer, and hooked it up to make sure it still works and alas, it didn't.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Hewlett_...03w_P9855ARABA_PC_Desktop/display_~full_specs

This is the model of computer, and all of the specs. I put a DVD burner in it, and changed the video card out. Those are the only adjustments I've made.

It starts up fine, and shows the blue "HP - Pavillion" screen, then switches to the Windows ME(edit, oops. XP,harhar) screen no problem. After that, the screen goes blank and it sits like that.

And clue what this could be? I'd like to get my computer going again before I move. :(

bnccoder

Postaholic
Did you forget to uninstall the old drivers before you put the new video card in? Or it could be the refresh rate on the new card is set to high. I would put the old card in and uninstall the drivers then put the new one in I've seen it many times before.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
If you don't need anything on it, just reformat. It'll be way easier in the long run. I'd also upgrade your OS while your at it, to XP. Based on pure personal opinion, I found it to be more stable than ME by far. From new, my first PC would crash every 2 days if I left it on continueously. XP would never crash on the other hand. I found it to be an investment worth the time. However it only cost me $5 while I was attending college. :happysad:

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
no idea, put in the system disk or whatever it's called.

this reminds me of the other day when we found a computer from the late 80's and tried to get it running. it had a digital display on the outside that had room for two digits and represented its speed in MHz i believe. we couldnt start it up because of a keyboard error. also it had a button on it that said "turbo"

BNC - of course I uninstalled the old drivers. I have had no problems with the video card. It worked for about 6 months or longer with it in there.

BWM - I oopsed. It is XP. And I've got alot of shit on there that I don't want to lose. The computer isn't letting me get to the "User" screen to enter my password. :happysad:

rcarhar

There goes a clever gent
WizardlyFriend said:
it had a digital display on the outside that had room for two digits and represented its speed in MHz i believe. we couldnt start it up because of a keyboard error. also it had a button on it that said "turbo"
I've got that too, 120 MHz or.... 133!!!! :cool:

edit: can you mash buttons to get to safe mode?

WizardlyFriend said:
no idea, put in the system disk or whatever it's called.

also it had a button on it that said "turbo"

lol @ turbo. I had a dinosaur like that. I miss that p.o.s. It was so simple and fun to toy with.

Also, system disk? You mean the floppy? I'm not sure if XP had one of those.

bnccoder

Postaholic
Then the refresh rate is probably to high for anything to show up. Try hooking it up to a better monitor.

I hooked it up to the monitor of the computer I'm currently using. It's a brand new plasma flat screen. Still bla. :thumbsdn:

bnccoder

Postaholic
The computer might have defaulted to a PCI card. Check the CMOS and see what it's set on.

bnccoder said:
The computer might have defaulted to a PCI card. Check the CMOS and see what it's set on.
Ok, and how would I go about doing that?

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
no i mean the system restore disk. i think when it boots that up you can choose to start in safe mode.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Can you boot using a boot disk? For no other reason that to see if you can boot?

During the boot process (after the XP image) press F8. You should get a list of boot options. Try safe mode.

WizardlyFriend said:
no i mean the system restore disk. i think when it boots that up you can choose to start in safe mode.
Ha. Don't have one.

bnccoder

Postaholic
I think for HPs you press F1 or F10 when it is just starting then once you're in there look for the oprion on what kind of video card you want it to display to. You might have to put the old card back in to see to do it.

rcarhar

There goes a clever gent
WizardlyFriend said:
yeah, if you're able to see the splash screen, your video's obviously fine, but your operating system is acting up.
See if you can find the Windows CD (nvm) or look for prompts to press buttons to enter safe mode.

UberSkippy said:
Try safe mode.

Ok, will do. I think I tried that earlier this morning to no avail.

Keep your ideas coming regardless, I'll try anything once. (that's what she said, weeeee)

bnccoder said:
I think for HPs you press F1 or F10 when it is just starting then once you're in there look for the oprion on what kind of video card you want it to display to. You might have to put the old card back in to see to do it.

Alright, the old card is still in there, just in case if the newer one acted up. I shall try this too. :thumbsup:

It's up and running, and doing quite well. :thumbsup:

Thanks for everyone's help!

Close this thread at your convenience Junglizm. :thumbsup: