WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Ghetto rig for a friend

Descent

Hella Constipated
Lost my Windows 98 CD, and since I was too lazy to find it, I just loaded the Cumpaq Quickrestore shit on.

Damn, it sucks! I took all of the Compaq shit out using msconfig, but it's still slower than a stock 98SE install!

The worst thing is, it's an old machine that I am giving to my friend on Monday, and he will have to recieve it in tip-top shape.

I put the mobo from the old Presario 5700T I got into this old Soyo case, as well as a Voodoo 3 3000, P3-500, 450MB PC100 RAM, ESS onboard sound, Linksys 10/100 NIC, and an ESS chipset modem (Gonna put the Compaq modem in there, this thing has shitty drivers). To top it all off, it has a 1.5GB HD, a WD from 1995 that works like new.

He will enjoy it...he is saving up for a good hard drive for it, and since I had shitty old parts I have no use for, I figured, "Eh, what the hell."

Normally I would never give him this much RAM...but considering that nothing I have takes SDRAM anymore (Besides my old DOS gaming box, and that only needs 32 to run :D), I will never need this RAM in the future. One 256MB Crucial module, one 128MB Samsung module, and one 64MB generic module with Crucial chips.

The power supply is a super shitty Powmax 400w that I had lying around. To be blunt, it sucks cock.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you all think of this ghetto experiment in economics. Hopefully I can make better shit rigs in the future...

Fugly

Tenderony
As long as it plays daikatana huh? POS game

Descent

Hella Constipated
It should be able to play that, provided that 3Dfx's drivers don't blow shit.

Also, since I scratched my disc, I'm stuck buying that game all over again.

I wish you would try out a game before you bash it. Many magazines said Doom 3 was the best game of all time, but the public thought diffrently. They also said that Daikatana was no fun, but clearly they never played through the first level (Which is a horrible level).

The game media bases all their reviews on hype.

Doom 3 = Good Hype

Daikatana = Bad Hype

You can't really trust them anymore, they have no ethics and morals.

shep

Local alcoholic
I guess it's better than nothing.What does he expect for free?

Descent

Hella Constipated
He expects any computer that he can work on.

He likes 3D modeling.

Jung

???
Premium
jstager said:
He expects any computer that he can work on.

He likes 3D modeling.
P3-500, 450MB PC100, Voodoo 3 3000
Haha, I do a bit of 3d modeling myself; I'm sure he'll have fun rendering pics on said "ghetto rig". :thumbsup:

It's noble to hook your friend up for free, but 3d modeling? Come on.

Descent

Hella Constipated
He does basic 3D models, for games and shit.

He did it on a similar box with a P3-500 and a GF2 MX. Sadly, his parents sold it.

Jung

???
Premium
Eh, I'm not too familiar with that. I once tried to render some Maya and C4d projects on a 500MHz box. It failed horribly, hung the machine and I subsequently lost one of the projects. Blah, blah, blah; I didn't save. :(

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
Ya, it's generally not a good idea to 3d render using Rhino, AutoCAD, Maya, Motionbuilder, Modo, Lightwave, Bryce, 3dsmax, or any other modeling program with anything less than a 1.0 ghz processor with at least a 32 mb vid card. Considering that this was a free computer you gave him, I'd say he couldnt complain...and that's a pretty decent rig for $0.00. It should be able to handle most 3d rendering as long as we aren't talking about cinematical presentations.

As far as harddrives, you can get a decent 80 gig 7200 rpm one for about 50 bucks at Best Buy. Check for discounts on pricewatch.com, tigerdirect.com and newegg.com as well.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Yeah, I put my 80 in this thing to test, and amazingly, it ran it without any problems. I COULD READ EVERY SINGLE BIT OF DATA ON THE DRIVE!

Good thing I flahed the BIOS to the latest version...It handles shit much better now.

The motherboard is a Mitac PWA-AVNV. Great board, very fast, and stable.

Check it out:

http://s87841630.onlinehome.us/model/avnv/avnv.html