WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Gibson LPM 2015 or Schecter Blackjack SLS Sustaniac Without Floyd Rose

Gibson LPM 2015 or Schecter Blackjack SLS Sustaniac Without Floyd Rose

• Gibson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schecter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KazmGaz

Flame Bait
So I play Guitar and I low key shred/play metal (Megadeth, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Lamb of God Etc.) but recently I've been looking at moving towards a more bluesy sound and I'm in the process of starting an old style rock and roll band kinda ACDC guns n roses led zeppelin style but I still wanna be able to play metal and such.

I know that gibson has like this massive reputation and there was a lot of controversy about all the changes made in the 2015 run but I played a Gibson 2015 LPM with a gorgeous stained ebony finish and I loved it the tone was bright and the pickups were responsive as all hell but I kinda wanna be able to coil tap which is something it doesn't have. its price at my local music store is 2200, yeah its a lot I live in Aus and our dollars gone to shit recently.

Then there's the schecter blackjack sls with the sustaniac which is a discontinued model for 1699 and i feel that i could really use the sustaniac to great effect but I'm a bit worried that the full shred pickup might be a bit dark to try and play guns n roses style music with.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, and there is always the option of just saving more and waiting for another guitar to come along but, I'm in school and I make about $160 a week and rn I have about 2100 but I'm waiting for my next paycheck to come through.

PS: the guitars I have now are a Jackson randy Rhoads v style guitar with the stock pickups that I paid $599 for, but I cant use that because the pickups are hella muddy and dark as hell, and I have a four year old Epiphone SG special for $250 but it crackles like crazy and kinda just sucks to play even with new strings, and to top it all off the tone is dull.

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
I have your same Epi SG special but it doesn't crackle, you may need to ground its internal components. Just solder a wire on the back of the pots and bridge's screws to connect everything. It doesn't really matter if you "star connect" or use a single wire, as long as it works. Try out.
Another thing you can do is to shield the internal compartment with tin foil, those thin wires suffer a lot from elecromagnetic noises.

What's wrong with this guitar? I play it with a Marshall Valvestate 30 and I can sound from jazzy to grindthrashblackdeath tones with ease, I just set different eqs on the amp, or if I'm lazy I work a little on the tone pots. I tried it with several other amps and it always sounded great. If you can't really take the tone of your guitar try to replace the pickups, you can save some money.
I admit that I worked a little on the guitar's set up, as I had to lower the action a bit with all its consequences.

KazmGaz

Flame Bait
IWhat's wrong with this guitar?.
Keep in mind all guitars are slightly different but I find that the tone of the guitar is just dark. I've tried EQ'ing differently on my amp (A Roland Cube 80GX) but nothing seems to work.

It could also be down to that I live in the tropic and everything is just oxidising because of the constant humidity.

But thanks man I'll pull out my soldering iron and give it a shot

Scooter

Roll me up and smoke me when I die.
That Gibson LPM looks pretty sweet. However, I see it billed as an economy model here in the U.S. - a great, quality guitar for less than $1,000. ($977 w/ hardshell case) It doesn't look like they are readily available anymore but $2,200 is absolutely insane. I don't care where you live. I don't have an opinion on the Schecter other than I wouldn't buy one.

Give your SG a chance if you like it. Epiphones can be wonky. Drop some new pickups, switches and wiring in there and see how it goes.

KazmGaz

Flame Bait
That Gibson LPM looks pretty sweet. However, I see it billed as an economy model here in the U.S. - a great, quality guitar for less than $1,000. ($977 w/ hardshell case) It doesn't look like they are readily available anymore but $2,200 is absolutely insane. I don't care where you live..
I completely agree with you but in Australia especially in remote towns like where i live thats cheap 1100 usd is 1500 aud nd the the shop needs to make momeu too
haha welcome to stray...

debbon ucross

Hoodrat
I completely agree with you but in Australia especially in remote towns like where i live thats cheap 1100 usd is 1500 aud nd the the shop needs to make momeu too
haha welcome to stray...
Can you get an Australian vs of UPS (or do you actually have ups) in remote areas? why not buy it off of Amazon? are there large taxes on Online purchases? Amazon Prime offers free return as well as free delivery in Australia, don't they? It's nice to buy locally but expensive electronics is a different story. stick with the local produce rule of shopping locally.

KazmGaz

Flame Bait
Can you get an Australian vs of UPS (or do you actually have ups) in remote areas? why not buy it off of Amazon? are there large taxes on Online purchases? Amazon Prime offers free return as well as free delivery in Australia, don't they?.
I've never looked at amazon but i generally have a rule of if i cant play the guitar im going to buy before i buy it its a no go, just on the premises that im pretty young (ignore the account age) and i dont have the cash to blow on a guitar that im not cocmpletly satisfied with.

Also i have no clue what UPS is, is that like free shipping or something?