WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Glen Cove Tornado.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Here in NY state we get 2 to 3 tornados a year. But due to Long Island's geography and proximity to the gulf stream, it's highly unlikely to have one here. Well a couple of days ago we had the worst one in recent history. I remember one back in 1996 or 7, that caused minimal damage. I drove through it for that matter, on the way to work. Tons of hail, it turned as dark as night, and my '84 Bronco, was bouncing straight up and down. I suppose I was lucky that it was too weak to pick up a 4960 LB. vehicle. But the one the other day caused more damage than anyone can remember a tornado causing on L.I.. We normally only get these little F1's, but this one just hit Glen Cove in a particularly vulnerable area.

See The Video Here

Anyone here ever have an experience with a tornado?

My graduation was the closest I've come. Figures it was my year. My high school had a long tradition of having an outside graduation, and for seven years it had not been rained out. Class of 2004 steps up, and not only does it rain, but there is a tornado right down the highway that cause winds so powerful in our area that they blew over all the chairs, destroyed parts of trees, and even knocked over a billboard advertising our school's events. God laughed at us that day.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Last night we had another shitty storm. I was just leaving a meeting at a local restaurant, when the thunder and lightning started. About half way home It downpoured, and I got drenched. Raindrops feel like being hit by BB's at 30 mph.

Descent

Hella Constipated
MaxPower said:
Here in NY state we get 2 to 3 tornados a year. But due to Long Island's geography and proximity to the gulf stream, it's highly unlikely to have one here. Well a couple of days ago we had the worst one in recent history. I remember one back in 1996 or 7, that caused minimal damage. I drove through it for that matter, on the way to work. Tons of hail, it turned as dark as night, and my '84 Bronco, was bouncing straight up and down. I suppose I was lucky that it was too weak to pick up a 4960 LB. vehicle. But the one the other day caused more damage than anyone can remember a tornado causing on L.I.. We normally only get these little F1's, but this one just hit Glen Cove in a particularly vulnerable area.

See The Video Here

When I lived in Indiana, we had an F3 that was rather close to us and it ripped the side off of a building.

On a side note my current house is built so well an F1 would have a hard time damaging it.

And oh, Max, I was in NYC seeing Glenngarry Glen Ross on Broadway last night, and after dining at New Chao Chao in Chinatown we had to rush back to the parking lot to get our car, around 5 blocks away. We went about two blocks before the torrential winds hit. It was pretty cool.

Dix Hills, however, didn't even get hit.

I have yet to see a tornado but I've always wanted to. I imagine it'd be a pretty cool experience, minus the detroying of people's schtuff.

Sektor

Particinator
Experience with a tornado? Every fucking spring and summer.

I live in St. Louis. St. Louis is right next to the Mississippi River, in eastern Missouri. Right in the middle of Tornado Alley.

The storms haven't been as destructive this year; then again, the weather here has been weird this whole year. Usually, though, there are a lot of huge storms in April and May, and then it calms down a little in the summer.

I remember once, back in April 2001, we got this really bad storm. The winds were blowing like 80 mph, the rain was pouring down everywhere, and, to make matters worse, it's 8 at night so you can't really see anything.

The tornado siren goes off. I'm in the basement by now, watching TV. I can hear the wind upstairs though. Then, it started sounding like freight trains for about 15 seconds, and next thing you know, I hear glass breaking.

It's not the tornado, because that went directly north of us (we were lucky that time), but a hailstorm. Fucking huge ass ice rocks flying everywhere, with the force of the tornado winds, breaking everything they hit. No windows were broken on the car, but we had three broken on the house. If it wasn't for the screens on those windows, we would've had hail flying into the living room and shit.

That was possibly the worst storm I've ever seen; it showed up black on the Doppler radar thing.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Where I used to live, all the time, but nothing worth telling about. But earlier this year in Phoenix, we had an F1 go quite literally down the street by my house. Even better? It was going the speed limit. :rotflmao:

Eh, we get atleast 2 tornado warnings every spring/summer, but normally nothing much comes of it. (Knock on wood)

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
MaxPower said:

See The Video Here

Wow. The last few days we havn't had anything worse than a little sprinkle. Crazy what a difference a handful of miles make.

A few years ago we had a small tornado careen down mainstreet. Not much was damaged i dont believe, other than power lines. I wasn't on LI when it happened.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
This on year we had one of the damnest ones, It traveled through the woods taking off everything 20 feet off the ground. You could see the path in the woods 50 feet wide. The path came out of the woods pointing tward this guys house, it riped the wind vain off his roof and did no other damage. Then continued through the woods on the other side of his house. It was kinda funny to see how much damage it did to the trees and how little damage it did to the guys house.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Sektor said:
Experience with a tornado? Every fucking spring and summer.

I live in St. Louis. St. Louis is right next to the Mississippi River, in eastern Missouri. Right in the middle of Tornado Alley.

The storms haven't been as destructive this year; then again, the weather here has been weird this whole year. Usually, though, there are a lot of huge storms in April and May, and then it calms down a little in the summer.

I remember once, back in April 2001, we got this really bad storm. The winds were blowing like 80 mph, the rain was pouring down everywhere, and, to make matters worse, it's 8 at night so you can't really see anything.

The tornado siren goes off. I'm in the basement by now, watching TV. I can hear the wind upstairs though. Then, it started sounding like freight trains for about 15 seconds, and next thing you know, I hear glass breaking.

It's not the tornado, because that went directly north of us (we were lucky that time), but a hailstorm. Fucking huge ass ice rocks flying everywhere, with the force of the tornado winds, breaking everything they hit. No windows were broken on the car, but we had three broken on the house. If it wasn't for the screens on those windows, we would've had hail flying into the living room and shit.

That was possibly the worst storm I've ever seen; it showed up black on the Doppler radar thing.
THAT is fucking scary, because black essentially means a void, as in the radar waves can't penetrate it enough to report back to the scanner.

Sideshow Bob said:
I have yet to see a tornado but I've always wanted to. I imagine it'd be a pretty cool experience, minus the detroying of people's schtuff.
Trust me, ya don't. I lived in Indiana, and it was scary as fuck, especially because our house had no basement.

I never actually "saw one" foresay, but you don't even want to be near them. Trust me, even if it ain't your shit, it's scary as fuck being in a position like that.

EDIT: On a sidenote, *I THINK* we had a tornado on the edge of Dix Hills half a decade back or so, but it didn't cause any damage.

I didn't even live in NY then.

I live in “tornado alley”, so of course I’ve experienced a few tornados. I would elaborate on this, but I was a bit young to remember many details.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Here in good old Georgia, we get them all the time! Especially in late spring/early summer. The closet one was right down the road, sounded like a freight train was coming through my house. It was the worst night of my life.

Speaking of nights, tornados seem to only hit here at night, go figure.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
suckers! lol nah j/k.
LI isn't used to bad fallout from tornados, wtf!