WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Global Warming, serious shit

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
A while ago I posted something about global warming, and DanGeo said it was bullshit. I wanted to fucking strangle him, but I found something on the nasa website and thought it would be better to show it to people instead of strangling them. So here it is, for the sceptics, and for the people who feel concerned by the health and future of our planet. It basically explains what exactly is Global Warming and prooves without a doubt that Global warming is a real phenomenon and that greenhouse gasses are responsible for it.

(this is just a page out of like 7, click next/back to read the whole thing.)
http://eobglossary.gsfc.nasa.gov//Library/GlobalWarming/warming2.html

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
wow... I didn't know you had sooo much "rage" toward people with opinions that are different than yours...

huh... I believe what I said (without looking back) was probably that in my opinion "global warming" is a scare tactic... that there are many contributers to our planet getting warmer... but greenhouse gases get all the blame... I prolly brought up the whole "heat sink/ urban areas theory"... that we have been warming up for something like 10,000 years... and that alot of the locations that data are collected from aren't exactly scientificly controlled areas.... I do not deny that greenhouse gases play an increasingly larger role in the warming of our planet... and I would like to see more environmentally friendly and practical alternative energy production methods... but everyone is stuck on greenhouse gases and aren't taking into account other things...

now looking at your link...
Some of this outgoing longwave infrared radiation, however, is re-absorbed by water vapor, carbon dioxide, and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and is then re-radiated back toward the Earth’s surface. On the whole this re-absorption process is good. If there were no greenhouse gases or clouds in the atmosphere, the Earth’s average surface temperature would be a very chilly -18°C (-0.4°F) instead of the comfortable 15°C (59°F) that it is today.
interesting... so clouds also contribute to global warming.... we'd still be in the ice age w/o it

During the last ice age 20,000 years ago, for instance, the Earth was roughly 5°C cooler than it is today. Since then it has warmed up, although not steadily, to present levels. That’s an increase of roughly 1°C every 4,000 years.
I was wrong 20,000 years not 10,000

also a NASA link:
"Historical records of solar activity indicate that solar radiation has been increasing since the late 19th century. If a trend, comparable to the one found in this study, persisted throughout the 20th century, it would have provided a significant component of the global warming the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change reports to have occurred over the past 100 years," he said.
solar radiation emitted from the sun

I wish that people would realise that there are other horses in this race...

Global Warming

Global Warming is a natrually occuring event here on earth, and undoubtly on other platnets with in and beyond the milky way. Humans being present only speeds up the process. I suppose in out case it is much more severe than once thought to be, but still it can't be prevented. ne ways thats my outlook upon this subject :).

global warming is serious, but there's really no way to prevent it, it's just a natural thing and with the ozone dying out little by little, and the growing about of our population we're, like said before, just "speeding up the process"

tzedek

Original Member
Im not worried about global warming personally.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
It all sucks balls.

I miss the four seasons.

I miss the smell of September, the energy of July, the frost of January, the blooms in May.

It's all changing and it sucks.

Every step we take, we're getting further and further away from nature.

"I've seen the future baby, it is murder."

conman03

B.C. itchen
Your absolutly right people say " not in our lifetime....in like 750 yrs!" the scary thing is we wake up know 750, 749, 748, but who gets to wake up in 745 yrs? our children, our childrens children, and what is left of humanity

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
conman03 said:
Your absolutly right people say " not in our lifetime....in like 750 yrs!" the scary thing is we wake up know 750, 749, 748, but who gets to wake up in 745 yrs? our children, our childrens children, and what is left of humanity
Saddly this too is short sighted.

Growing up I remember winters with 2 feet of snow here. Now we have winters with 2 inches of snow and tons of rain.

A few degrees sounds like very little. A few degrees can have a drastic impact.

Global warming itself is pretty much a fact. What causes it is still up for debate. Generally it seems that big business and the ultra-right wing followers still deny any causality from polution.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Forget about the 750 years. It's already happening. You obviously didn't read the article, in 2050 the planet will already be hotter.

I Hate The FCC

Homo est Deus
UberSkippy said:
Saddly this too is short sighted.

Growing up I remember winters with 2 feet of snow here. Now we have winters with 2 inches of snow and tons of rain.

A few degrees sounds like very little. A few degrees can have a drastic impact.

Global warming itself is pretty much a fact. What causes it is still up for debate. Generally it seems that big business and the ultra-right wing followers still deny any causality from polution.
Another piece of evidence proving that the neo-cons only do bad for the nation/world.

Descent

Hella Constipated

They spent more money on these F-22 Stealth Fighters than they did on our nations schools, or reform policies.

I Hate The FCC

Homo est Deus
Descent said:

They spent more money on these F-22 Stealth Fighters than they did on our nations schools, or reform policies.
Education is always the last priority to the government. I guess they'd rather blow other people up than teach chyldren.....