WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Gmail...

jamesp

In Memory...
i was just checking my gmail account today and found a somewhat funny pic:

Jung

???
Premium
GMail doesn't even offer a true gigabyte of storage...

I do like GMail though, and use it quite often.

ferengi

Yay fire!
How does one come into possession of a Gmail account? I'd like to try it out.

jamesp

In Memory...
ferengi74656 said:
How does one come into possession of a Gmail account? I'd like to try it out.
if you really want one, just PM me and ill invite you.

William Smith

Uncle Phil is a fat fuck
Gmail is ok, I use it as a backup for my demo songs. So I don't have to worry when my win machine crashes again.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Just a thought, for those of you who want more storage in their Gmail accounts. Let it sit at the signon screen. There is a counter on the left side of the screen, the longer you let it sit there, the higher your storage capacity. Don't believe me; try it out. I am up 2065 MB+. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rurrouni said:
Gmail kicksass, I use it more like a file server then a mail service >_>
Hahahaha same here :thumbsup:

My pictures, mp3's, and most of my hard drive is spread over several gmail accounts.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
Fire_ze_Missles said:
Just a thought, for those of you who want more storage in their Gmail accounts. Let it sit at the signon screen. There is a counter on the left side of the screen, the longer you let it sit there, the higher your storage capacity. Don't believe me; try it out. I am up 2065 MB+. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
they raised it from 1 gig to 2. i have the same amount as you. it could also be the ppl that had it at the begining (AKA only 6 invites) get this benefit, but im not sure about that. im not sure why its 2065 and not 2048

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
WizardlyFriend said:
they raised it from 1 gig to 2. i have the same amount as you. it could also be the ppl that had it at the begining (AKA only 6 invites) get this benefit, but im not sure about that. im not sure why its 2065 and not 2048
There's a counter on the left side of the screen; here I will show you.

The higher you let the counter go; the higher your email capacity. :thumbsup:

Jung

???
Premium
WizardlyFriend said:
I'm pretty sure everyone has much less than 2GB anyway. I've had a Gmail account for at least a year, and I only have 2048MB of storage; I think it's completely random.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
it has to be a cooperative effort then cause how is it that two guys have the same thing. i think that maybe you get 1 kb (1 one millionth) of a gig a second and many people are logged on. cause i just dont see how two people can have basically almost identical amounts if what you say is correct.

with that said if everyone does it, maybe it will go up quicker, at this exact moment im at: 2065.264012

see if you are pretty close

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
I believe you are right about that. My guess is that everytime you log into Gmail, your account gets bigger based on the counter in question. It really is infinte+1.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
if you want to get into theoreticalness of it, it's actually infinity - 1 since you can never reach infinity, its only a concept, not a number

Jung

???
Premium
WizardlyFriend said:
it has to be a cooperative effort then cause how is it that two guys have the same thing. i think that maybe you get 1 kb (1 one millionth) of a gig a second and many people are logged on.
Huh? We're not talking transfer rates here, rather storage capacity. Whatever per second would have no bearing on this.
cause i just dont see how two people can have basically almost identical amounts if what you say is correct.
Pretty simple really; they wrote a script to "upgrade your storage capacity" and cronned it. People get the upgrade as the script acts upon their account. The counter is just a javascript counter, I've seen no evidence otherwise.

What I meant was, I seriously doubt that anyone is actually getting 2GB of storage. It's more than likely just a script set to display X number on X account.

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
anyone else notice that even though it says you have 2050 megs of storage, it still says you have 1000 megs in the trash folder?

I think it's based more on how many people register with Gmail. This is my approximation:

2 Hours: 1 more MB for all Gmail Users.

Gmail is Absolut Pwnage