WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe God? is there? isn't there? my opinion....

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDadII

"Squeaky" clean
In the words of the late Saddam Hussein...That is the mother of all ass-kissing posts
Now that you mention it, I did have this shit taste in my mouth all during lunch today. I think I'll go back to being an atheist.

^ Can I be your archbishop?
Sure you can, but you have to realy like to party and screw. If this sounds like something that you can get into then you are the right person for the job.
Not much of a screening process if you ask me. You need to ask the tough questions like:
"So what's your position on child abuse? Seated with pants around the ankles?".

lolguy

Particinator
In my experiences, the ones who act like you describe are just insecure and have no friends.

vistascan

They're out to get me
Let me save us all time:

Religious people: I believe in god, here's some weird psuedo-arguments as to why but when I get pressed on them, I will fall back on notions of faith.

Atheists: *Yawn* You're a faggot and we're smarter than you.

Religious people: No way, man, there are tons of smart religious people!

Farceur: Yeah! I mean, I admire Kierkagaard! Please validate my choice to study philosophy by acknowledging how smart and awesome I am! Guys?

Religious people: I'll pretend I know who that is.

53V3N: *posts .gif or .jpg.*

Awaken: *dick joke*

Jung: *Smart-Guy shit that Farceur and Awaken ineviteably likes*

Religious person: "Here's my incoherent rebuttal and some obscured flaming!"

*Moderator comes by and locks thread. In the olden days the Religious person/people were usually the Moderator who would come by and lock the thing. *cough* DG *cough*

/thread
You'll burn in hell for this you know.

In hindsight, it seems we're the ones responsible for people making more and more religious threads in this forum. Every religious thread we start always falls into the same spiral of arguments and atheist snobbery vs theist threats of eternal torture. It's like controlled violence, a phenomenon that used to happen (I'm not sure if it still happens), where Hindus claiming the superiority of one god vs another get into two groups and insult each other, then gradually start a fight, but separate by mutual consent before any violence starts. It's a way of releasing frustrations of daily life.

Centered

Postaholic
It's like controlled violence, a phenomenon that used to happen (I'm not sure if it still happens), where Hindus claiming the superiority of one god vs another get into two groups and insult each other, then gradually start a fight, but separate by mutual consent before any violence starts. It's a way of releasing frustrations of daily life.
Sounds like quite the slap fight

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Religion is a means to control people and take their money.
I think it has always served as a way to make the "peasantry" and general populace accept their misery. If everyone was convinced that there is only one life, they wouldn't be so keen to work sweat and blood for dirt and hunger their entire life. There would be revolts against oppression. This is what Marx meant when he said that religion was the opium of the masses...

Pascal's Wager and Kierkegaard's Leap of Faith
lol. Truth is in the eye of the beholder and that kind of bullshit. When I leap into faith of Santa Claus, that his the highest possible truth for me. Also I better believe in Santa Claus, because if he doesn't exist and I don't believe in him then nothing happens, if he doesn't exist and I believe in him I'm not worse off, if he exists and I don't believe in him I won't get presents! And If he exists and I believe in him than yaaaaayyyy lalalalalala. So cleaaaaarly, I should believe in Santa Claus because that leads to the best outcomes.

That's fucking retarded.

• 1Like
Reactions: Farceur

Avidity

Definitaly not an illuminati agent. Move along.
Truth is in the eye of the beholder and that kind of bullshit. When I leap into faith of Santa Claus, that his the highest possible truth for me. Also I better believe in Santa Claus, because if he doesn't exist and I don't believe in him then nothing happens, if he doesn't exist and I believe in him I'm not worse off, if he exists and I don't believe in him I won't get presents! And If he exists and I believe in him than yaaaaayyyy lalalalalala. So cleaaaaarly, I should believe in Santa Claus because that leads to the best outcomes.
Yes, yes, and the flying spaghetti monster and all that. The concept of not believing in Santa is, in this case, irrelevant, but if you wish to be completely asinine, then by all means do go ahead. The idea is, however, designed more for practical application of the concepts of ultimate realities. I'm still stuck on where to leap (that's my hang-up), but that's more step two than anything.

Now, then, continue with your silly mockery or whatever it is that makes you fulfill your drive to appear superior. I'm quite happy with my views and its benefits in the name of utility.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
The concept of not believing in Santa is, in this case, irrelevant
Believing in something that was never demonstrated to exist is not the same as believing in something that was never demonstrated to exist?

Now, then, continue with your silly mockery or whatever it is that makes you fulfill your drive to appear superior. I'm quite happy with my views and its benefits in the name of utility.
Of course you are, much like kids are quite happy with their belief in Santa Claus. Doesn't make it true. You should go live in the novel brave new world, in the name of utility.

EvilDadII

"Squeaky" clean
Christ, I’m starting to pray with Dead Set on this one.

OK, I’ll stop with the buffoonery for a moment and get all philosophical and shit.

The ultimate reality, that I’ve come to terms with, is that my existence has finality. And it is at that moment in my life when I took that leap, that I was comfortable with the fact that it was off a cliff towards what will eventually be the end of my existence. However, I’m not in a freefall. I’m kept afloat by my memories of my youth, my family, and all that I’ve experienced and accomplished in this relatively short time. It’s as if my paradise is all of this, plus the knowledge that I will have left behind 3 wonderful children; that I’ve lived my life fully; and that I have done things that many only dream of.

Once I accepted this, I realized that there was no need for a god to comfort me. I’m simply real fucking happy to be able to participate in whatever this thing that life is. And it ain't over 'til the fat bastard hits the ground.

So I guess I'm telling Pascal he would have had better luck at the track and Kierkegaard to go take a flying, well you get the idea.

Avidity

Definitaly not an illuminati agent. Move along.
Believing in something that was never demonstrated to exist is not the same as believing in something that was never demonstrated to exist?
Actually, more along the lines that Santa isn't an ultimate reality as typically defined by most religious philosophers. Seeing as the discussion is based on the query of ultimate realities, Santa's about as appropriate an application as, say, the stages mitosis is to most algebra.

Of course you are, much like kids are quite happy with their belief in Santa Claus. Doesn't make it true. You should go live in the novel brave new world, in the name of utility.
Again, your mockery only shows how much you truly wish to be superior. If you wish it, I don't care. Have your high horse. It'll go nicely with the stick lodged oh so firmly in your ass. ;)

Jugular

volatile
I linked the Google cached version of the wikipedia page for you because Wikipedia is on strike today. You're welcum.

• 1Like
Reactions: Farceur

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
In joining this site I feel I've found religion.

Here's who I pray to lately:
Jason and Brit - God
Farceur and Jung - Holy Spirit
Taylor_Blade - Jesus
Lioness - Mary
gehtfuct and MaxPower - Archangels
COA, Bitch, Jane Deere, BrIONwoshMunky - supporting angels

And of course there's
Premium members - Apostles (53V3N is Peter)
Your deities demand strippers.

• 2Like
Reactions: Farceur and 53V3N

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Again, your mockery only shows how much you truly wish to be superior. If you wish it, I don't care. Have your high horse. It'll go nicely with the stick lodged oh so firmly in your ass. ;)
You're trying to rationally justify the existence of God and your belief in him with an argument that don't hold to reason (Kiekergaard's leap of faith) and one that assumes god has an *exactly* 50% chance of existing and 50% chance of not existing. Your efforts to appear as a "rational theist" are pretty much as silly as a 400 pounds 50 year old redneck male from Mississippi named Billy Bob in a lead role of a Tchaikovsky ballet at the Vienna State Opera.

Status
Not open for further replies.