WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

God of War for Playstation

I just wanted to see if anyone has played and beaten God of War yet and could give me some tips. I've reached the battle with Ares and I got to the point where Kratos has to fight him with only the giant sword taken from Athena's statue, but there I am stuck. Has anyone figured out the trick to beating Ares?

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
This is one bad ass game. I have finished the game and now I have nothing left to do with my time lol.

Now, time for you to beat the game!!!

At this point, most of the battle complications have been removed and you're
left with what can most accurately be described as a fighting game type battle on a 3D plane. Here's how it works, all his attacks aren't blockable anymore, most of them are but not all. The first is sort of a fire burst he shoot out of his hand, learn to see this coming and dodge it because it will hit you every time. The second is easier to dodge, he'll pass through the ground and pop up elsewhere. This means that four pillars are about to rise and try to hit you. You can't get hit by these nor can you even be standing on the ground if you wish to avoid damage so after he teleports start running normally, forget rolling. If you're running around by the time they pop up you should be outside they're hit range and all that remains is for you to jump in the air before they crash together. Now let's look at damaging him. After most of his combos he'll stop for a moment and kind of roar, this is your chance to strike. Go in with both square and triangle attacks to deal damage to him, if you hit him and interrupt an attack you'll get the chance to do a circle button tapping "tug of war" where if you win it means massive damage AND he gets temporarily stunned. Good all around. The most important things to keep in mind is that you must not try attacking unless he's doing the roar, if he blocks more than three of your attacks in a row he'll do a fire burst that is undodgeable and unblockable because it occurs in a little cutscene type thing, the point is when he starts blocking then you stop attacking. Play more offensively than you did the first time, even knowing how to block and dodge he's likely going to hit you sometimes, and that heals him. Good luck.

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou! Did I mention thank you? That's very helpful. I'm definitely going to rep you for that.

Rurrouni

Shinsengumi
Right off the bat I played the game on Hard and after dieing a shit load on one level I lost interest for a little bit, but it is a badass game and I plan on restarting on Normal or Easy so I can beat the game and get the whole story.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Um, going off topic here, but CL looks like the guy on god of war. And, that game fucking owns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to let CopyLifted know that I beat God of War. Thank you for advice. I had to modify your tactics a little since I suck with a playstation controller and couldn't hit the O button fast enough to win the the strength tests. I used the charge move whenever he roared and then just kept swinging. It's pretty cool, because you can get up to six hits just on the charge alone. Did you destroy the statues and get the secret at the end? If you didn't I know how.

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
I'm glad to hear that you beat the game.

I was just relieved that I beat the game, I didn't even think to destroy the statues. :happysad:

I'm going through the game again on god mode. Holy shit it's alot harder.

Yeah, I found that out too. They can take more damage, and they deal more damage. It's kind of cool. Anyway, if you destroy the statues you get a code number. I'll have to get the number to call from Eastside, but apparently when you enter the code you're supposed to be able to listen to some interviews with the designers or something.

NINE225

The one, The only
The best thing to do is to build up the army of Hades and just hit him if you need mana because that attack is the shit.