WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Good FREE programs everyone should know about

A few good free programs that i use alot for my computer maintenance are Wise Disk Cleaner and Wise Registry Cleaner. They Make your computer Really fast and Its as easy as 1 click on both programs and boom done. I do the Registry one first then the Disk cleaner 2nd.

---------- Post added at 04:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 AM ----------

I found a few fun programs to spruce up your desktop environment. One is called bumptop and the other is called stardock objectdock. Bumptop is no longer free because they sold the license to google ( dumb idea ) but if you scour the internet enough then you can find it. Bumptop turns your desktop into a 3d looking box. You have 4 walls and a bottom and each wall can be used for different things. It keeps me organized. Stardock Objectdock is basically the Mac dock converted for windows. Its a nifty little program that makes your Intel based computer look like a mac.

Jeffrey Richard

In God we trust; all others must pay cash.
Malwarebytes - removes all forms of malware, including viruses, Trojans, spyware, adware and rootkits. This free utility finds stuff that most anti-virus utilities don't look for. It's a must have...

TrueCrypt - Keep your data safe in case your drive is stolen or lost. Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk. Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.

53V3N

The slow blade penetrates the shield.
Premium
This thread needs to be BUMPED, yo!

I know there are a lot of people on the site now that are pretty savvy with the harnessed electrons. So give it up, son!

Jason turned me on to this (browser-based) software recently: http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/

It's what I used for the recent multi-quoting feature tutorial and it works really well and it's easy to use. They even supply a brief tutorial video which is pretty irrelevant as the interface is idiot-proof.

For my own curiosity, I'm going to pit it against a paid prog, SnagIt, (now that my setup is not the limiting factor) just to see how they rank. I'll report back with my findings.

[psa]
In the meantime, let's breathe some life into this thread. And don't forget to donate to a dev if you like their prog. ~$10 is nothing but it speaks volumes to someone that has worked hard to make something cool that you use.
[/psa]

Jung

???
Premium
This is possible with native commands on XP and beyond.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491010.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491009.aspx

Ghetto uptime command for Vista/7. On Xp you can actually use "System Up Time"... not sure why that changed. :tard:

systeminfo | @find "System Boot Time"

Or you can download this binary: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc751311.aspx

Masquerade

Banned - What an Asshat!
Ghetto uptime command for Vista/7. On Xp you can actually use "System Up Time"... not sure why that changed. :tard:
Well now I know why I was laughed at during the last LAN party! :D

Thanks.

HabitatSkater

Metal For Life.
I haven't browsed all the posts but if CCleaner hasn't been mentioned, you NEED that program. I convinced my work to make it mandatory on every computer.

www.piriform.com

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
Yeah, CCleaner is a good one. I also use their "Speccy" app for a quick overview of hardware (among other ones).

...and as there is a free version that became available this year, check out BitDefender Free Antivirus.

Jung

???
Premium
WinSCP - FTPS, SFTP and SCP client
Kittey - a better version of Putty
Vim64 - vim cmd line editor for Win64. I used doskey to alias vi to vim out of habit. But you could just change the exe names.

JacobKatsman

Your time is limited, don’t waste it
Emacs 25.1 with extension (neotree and other) Best text editing system:)

Last edited: