Good FREE programs everyone should know about

CoprophagousCop

Social Distancing Warrior
Premium
You only really need an app if you need extra capabilities. I still support some legacy software that has some scripts that control communications. Lots of small files that would take forever sending one at a time. I regularly use 7Zip because it's easy to script and relatively feature rich.
I was thinking that you would still need a third party application if you wanted to create zip files. I have never had a need to create zip files and I do not know if Windows can do this natively. :shrug:

MaxPower

Baba Yaga
Staff
I was thinking that you would still need a third party application if you wanted to create zip files. I have never had a need to create zip files and I do not know if Windows can do this natively. :shrug:
Right click> send to> compressed folder

• 1Helpful
Reactions: 1 user

Jung

???
Premium
The native zip function is single-threaded though. It's ok for small text files and stuff but you're better off with 7zip for anything else.

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
The native zip function is single-threaded though. It's ok for small text files and stuff but you're better off with 7zip for anything else.

I've been using PeaZip (64 bit) for years and had a lot of luck with it.. You ever compared the two?

• 1Like

Jung

???
Premium
I've been using PeaZip (64 bit) for years and had a lot of luck with it.. You ever compared the two?
Pea is good, I dropped it because I couldn't drag directly from temp zip files (open vs save) into folders.

All of these apps use the same compression libraries at this point, you're mostly just getting a different UI and few features here and there.

• 1Helpful