WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

"Good Merged" Genesis ROMs?

Jung

???
Premium
I recently acquired a sizable amount of Genesis ROMs (954 to be exact), and was planing on playing some of my old favorites. Apparently though, these ROMs have been Good Merged, whatever that means, and none of the emulators I've tried will recognize the .7zip extension. I've Googled and found the GoodMerge program, but ti doesn't help in this case. I could just extract all the files, but most have multiple bin files inside the archives, and I'd rather keep them in archives for neatness. Does anyone know of a good emulator that supports this format of ROMs?

WTFNation

"I'm a Song From The 60s"
junglizm said:
I recently acquired a sizable amount of Genesis ROMs (954 to be exact), and was planing on playing some of my old favorites. Apparently though, these ROMs have been Good Merged, whatever that means, and none of the emulators I've tried will recognize the .7zip extension. I've Googled and found the GoodMerge program, but ti doesn't help in this case. I could just extract all the files, but most have multiple bin files inside the archives, and I'd rather keep them in archives for neatness. Does anyone know of a good emulator that supports this format of ROMs?

<Enter Descent, Stage Left>

Why not just unzip them and then rearchive in a supported archive?

Jung

???
Premium
Phantom said:
Why not just unzip them and then rearchive in a supported archive?
Because, as I said earlier, each archive contains multiple files. Neither Winrar, nor 7zip have an option to unzip multiple archives using the folder option.(unless they were compressed using it) So I would just get a directory full of a couple thousand files that I would have to reorganize and rearchive. I'm obviously looking for an easy way to do this. I could easily write a Python or Perl script to do just that, but like I said, I'm looking for the easiest way to accomplish this.

I assume you have to have an emulator designed specifically for the roms. I had the same problem with a group of SNES roms, and it turned out I needed a specific emulator. Weeee.

I'm probably wrong, just an idea. :happysad:

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
I would personally extract the .7zip file into the *.md or *.bin files enclosed. I usually use Kega Fusion, it's my personal favorite emulator.

By the way, the Sega Genesis has a cartridge size limitation of 2MB, and the only cartridge to take up that much is Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic 3, and I'm talking the one with LOCK-ON and BLAST PROCESSING technology.

By the way, I just got Phantasy Star II from my second cousin for free, with the original box, manual, and hint guide. I think that's worth around $100.

I also got a copy of Populous but it doesn't work on my Genesis model due to that gay ass "Trademark Security System" (TMSS) chip.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
odd cause I had gens emulator and it worked fine for most roms...

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Aren't genesis roms illegal? Mabye not, but just wondering.

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
I don't think there is an emulator out there that recognizes the .7zip format. I could be wrong though.

I'm sure you'll need to unzip them before you can emulate them due to the 7zip format.

Edit: After doing a quick google search, I came up with this: (Not sure where you got them, but this is what I found on a rom site).

Genesis update -- I replaced the old genesis section today with one in 7zip format, just like I did with the snes, nes and n64 sections. This one also contains all the 32X roms, which makes the 32X section kinda obsolete. But I'll keep the 32X section online for reference.
And if we go down a bit further:

NES Update -- I replaced the NES roms on the site with the full GoodNES romset. The files are packed in 7Zip just like the N64 roms, so you'll need to unzip them before you can emulate them. I'm also going to replace the snes and genesis roms with their beloning Good sets. I'm also planning to add some Finalburn roms to the site (mostly 1944 style), so keep an eye on that.
So it would seem to me that this site is also saying that they need to be unzipped first.

Jung

???
Premium
HavokChylde said:
I assume you have to have an emulator designed specifically for the roms. I had the same problem with a group of SNES roms, and it turned out I needed a specific emulator.
That was what I assumed as well. I remember having zipped NES ROMs and having to find an EMU that would support the archives.
dustinzgirl said:
Aren't genesis roms illegal? Mabye not, but just wondering.
No, they're all abondonware.
Descent said:
I would personally extract the .7zip file into the *.md or *.bin files enclosed. I usually use Kega Fusion, it's my personal favorite emulator.
Thanks for the info, I'll probably just write a script to do that. I do have a question about the naming scheme though. Like I said, each archive has multiple .bin files, but each is name differently. Some have [h1], [h2], [b#] or [!] in the file names. I'm assuming this indicates some kind of difference, but I was unable to find any useful information, other than [b#] could mean bad or beta? If I could figure out which ones were the best I could regex search for them with Perl, and delete the rest.
Darklight said:
odd cause I had gens emulator and it worked fine for most roms...
They play just fine if I extract them, I was just assuming that there was some special EMU to play them.
CopyLifted said:
Edit: After doing a quick google search, I came up with this: (Not sure where you got them, but this is what I found on a rom site).
I got them off of USENET, but they didn't come with an NFO, text file or anything. Thanks for the info though.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Hahaha, then it must have been another Genesis Phantasy Star game. I know there IS a version that goes for $100 or so and does not work in the Sega Genesis Nomad.

Junglizm said:
Thanks for the info, I'll probably just write a script to do that. I do have a question about the naming scheme though. Like I said, each archive has multiple .bin files, but each is name differently. Some have [h1], [h2], [b#] or [!] in the file names. I'm assuming this indicates some kind of difference, but I was unable to find any useful information, other than [b#] could mean bad or beta? If I could figure out which ones were the best I could regex search for them with Perl, and delete the rest.

I wouldn't bother with those naming schemes. [!] means HOT, as in most downloaded. Usually that's the best dump. I think all of those were taken from EdgeEmulation, they use that naming scheme I haven't seen anywhere else.

Also, always unzip the [REV00] roms and leave the later revisions alone - as with all consoles, certain cheat codes that are fun to fuck with, as well as certain innuendo that slipped by, etc. are deleted in later revisions.

Also, ALWAYS use v.1.0 dumps. The same info for the revisions is true there, too. The best example is Zelda 64, which has red blood in the final death scene with Ganon, which was removed in v.1.1, and likewise in v.1.2 and it also had the "Would you like to play again for 50 Rupees?" text bug removed in Gueredo Valley. It would originally say that the first time you played so Miyamoto cut out the word "again" and called it a day. I have a v.1.0 cartridge and I'm lovin' it.

Also, check out the Sonic 2 Beta - it's cool shit. Press A+Start to access the level select menu at the title screen.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Descent said:
Hahaha, then it must have been another Genesis Phantasy Star game. I know there IS a version that goes for $100 or so and does not work in the Sega Genesis Nomad.

Phantasy Star IV. I own it. Though, I don't know if it is quite worth $100.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Fire_ze_Missles said:
Phantasy Star IV. I own it. Though, I don't know if it is quite worth $100.
Is it an import cartridge? As in, are the sides bally instead of curvy?

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
I think my collection is 2,279 roms.. They're in .zip format and I believe they are merged, but the collection is from at least 1+ year ago.. Hmm.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Jason said:
I think my collection is 2,279 roms.. They're in .zip format and I believe they are merged, but the collection is from at least 1+ year ago.. Hmm.
Wow, so you like have hacks of hacks of hacks of hacks of Sonic The Hedgehog.

P.S.: Do you enjoy the 32X, Jason? I personally enjoy it because of Virtua Racing Deluxe, Shadow Squadron, Virtua Fighter, Doom, Mortal Kombat II, Motocross Championship and Knuckles' Chaotix. But everything else for it is crap!